What's new

March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month at B&B - Check Your 6!

My dad just went under the knife a few months ago, at age 63, and he's doing fine. I'm still just 34, but thank you for putting this in my brain, and that I need to be vigilant as an immediate relative.

I had the colonoscopy done last year when i turned 50 and sure enough a carcinoid tumor was found and entirely removed. I feel very lucky. I have to get tested again this year and hopefully all is well. Thanks B&B for reminding everyone of the importance of checking this out.

I had a colonoscopy done last month as part of diagnosing ulcerative colitis. Other than the inflammation, everything is fine.

Now that I have been diagnosed I will need a yearly colonoscopy/exam, as I have a higher risk of colon cancer. Everyone - if you are over 50 or have risk factors please get checked out. For yourself, your family, and friends.

The exam caught stuff in my father. And now he is still here. You are doing these exams for yourself and your families. So grateful my dad went and got his done

My brother-in-law would be alive today if he had done this, but "real men don't go to doctors". By the time symptoms showed up the cancer had spread to his liver and he was gone in 6 months.

The colonoscopy isn't pleasant, but it sure beats the alternative. If you want a good laugh check out Bill Engvall's bit on his colonoscopy!

Such an important test, a real lifesaver for many. Had my cancerous appendix and right colon removed 2.5 years ago, and am due for my second post op scope this spring. I will gladly do it again. And thank you to The Invisible Hand of Captain Check-6 for the badge! Very much appreciated.

It's great to hear how screening has helped so many here. Remember to wear blue tomorrow, March 4, in support of colorectal screening,

My grandfather died of colon cancer. He died a few months before I was born. My father has been getting regular screenings since he turned 50, and I'll be on the same boat when the time comes.

Going in for my annual check up & finger wiggle next Tuesday. I'll follow that with the poop on a stick take home kit. Yippee!

Get checked guys and tell you friends and family to get checked too.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'll be turning 50 years young this year and will be trying to get some of my doc's time this month to have a chat.

I went to a funeral this afternoon of a Doctor my wife worked with. He was diagnosed with late stage colon cancer 14 months ago. A 54 year old orthopedic surgeon. I'm passing this along to illustrate that it can happen to anyone. Even highly trained highly educated healthcare professionals. If you're over 50, get checked.

My grandmother had colon cancer. My mother didn't but she had gall bladder cancer - she was screened twice for bowel cancer and came out negative. Both survived. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer at the age of 47 (back in August of 2015). Had a lower anterior resection two months later (the tumor was high enough to avoid a permanent colostomy) so I lost my rectum and a good portion of my lower bowel. Now I'm in chemotherapy because at the time of diagnosis I was stage 2 but by the time they analysed my extracted tissue it was stage 3. So, maybe I'll be here in 5 years or maybe not. Maybe I'll have a normal lifespan. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I just want to get through chemotherapy because it is hell and hopefully, never go through it again.

BTW: a colonoscopy takes 15 at the most. Probably around 5 or 10 minutes. It's not a big deal at all. Cancer is the biggest deal. I'll take 1000 colonoscopies over cancer any time!

My grandmother had colon cancer. My mother didn't but she had gall bladder cancer - she was screened twice for bowel cancer and came out negative. Both survived. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer at the age of 47 (back in August of 2015). Had a lower anterior resection two months later (the tumor was high enough to avoid a permanent colostomy) so I lost my rectum and a good portion of my lower bowel. Now I'm in chemotherapy because at the time of diagnosis I was stage 2 but by the time they analysed my extracted tissue it was stage 3. So, maybe I'll be here in 5 years or maybe not. Maybe I'll have a normal lifespan. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I just want to get through chemotherapy because it is hell and hopefully, never go through it again.

BTW: a colonoscopy takes 15 at the most. Probably around 5 or 10 minutes. It's not a big deal at all. Cancer is the biggest deal. I'll take 1000 colonoscopies over cancer any time!

Thanks for sharing your story and keep fighting. I hope that we are both discussing this further more than five years from now. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Praying that your chemo is successful and that you have many more years. Thanks for sharing your story and may it encourage others to get screened.

My father had colon cancer, which automatically puts me at high risk. I had a colonoscopy in 2011 (one polyp ... benign) and I'm due this year for another one. Thanks for reminding me to make an appointment!!

By the way, I am a survivor of prostate cancer ... going on 5 year cancer free.

Been to see my Doc quite a few times this year already, got more visits planned BUT two days ago we discussed adding a colonoscopy to my upcoming screenings. I have no family history or indications I should be concerned but when I asked about it, my trusted Doctor (and friend) apologized for not being first to bring it up. He said being a forty something year old man is reason enough.

Going to a father daughter dance tomorrow night and we will both be wearing blue!
EDIT: doc also said "there are OTHER things in that area we need to be checking regularly too"

Been to see my Doc quite a few times this year already, got more visits planned BUT two days ago we discussed adding a colonoscopy to my upcoming screenings. I have no family history or indications I should be concerned but when I asked about it, my trusted Doctor (and friend) apologized for not being first to bring it up. He said being a forty something year old man is reason enough.

Going to a father daughter dance tomorrow night and we will both be wearing blue!
EDIT: doc also said "there are OTHER things in that area we need to be checking regularly too"

You could always surprise him like one of my patients did last week. He is a 50 year old, 6'6" 330 pound guy, biker type. When he dropped his drawers, he was wearing a fluorescent orange thong. I almost fell over laughing.

You could always surprise him like one of my patients did last week. He is a 50 year old, 6'6" 330 pound guy, biker type. When he dropped his drawers, he was wearing a fluorescent orange thong. I almost fell over laughing.

That's the exact kind of thing my mom raised me to do. My mom had that kind of humor her entire life. My mom had a fairly short battle with lung cancer. Her treatment included several courses of radiation at City of Hope (an amazing place). The young radiology tech tried his best to maintain his composure day after day as she would torment him with her various irreverent comments but when she arrived for her first day of her second round and removed her gown to reveal purple pasties complete with tassels, he turned pure white...before hitting the floor.

I myself favor the less obvious. I find lace boy shorts more my style.

That's the exact kind of thing my mom raised me to do. My mom had that kind of humor her entire life. My mom had a fairly short battle with lung cancer. Her treatment included several courses of radiation at City of Hope (an amazing place). The young radiology tech tried his best to maintain his composure day after day as she would torment him with her various irreverent comments but when she arrived for her first day of her second round and removed her gown to reveal purple pasties complete with tassels, he turned pure white...before hitting the floor.

I myself favor the less obvious. I find lace boy shorts more my style.

I say "go for it". You'll make your doctor's day.

Top Bottom