What's new

INFO! Saint Sue Annual Auction Changes

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
To the Membership:

You may or may not be aware that the annual Saint Sue Auction has been ongoing every October at B&B since 2010. As of 2022, $188,000.00 has been raised for breast cancer research.

We are within one auction of reaching and surpassing a $200,000.00 goal. Nearly a quarter of a million dollars - that is a respectable sum.

The participation in the Auction over the last several years has been slowly dwindling. In part, this is because virtually none of our current members were members when Sue was an active participant here. The majority of members, as evidenced by the increasing number of people who ask us who Sue was and why we are doing this, is indicative that there isn't the personal connection that there used to be.

We have determined that it is probably time to share the generosity of our membership on a charity which focuses its goals more in line with the membership base that we have. We now feel the time is right to partner with a new charity in 2024 to share our member’s generosity which is more aligned with our core demographic.

Let's be very clear here: There is no disrespect in this consideration, intended or actual. We have made an impact in Breast Cancer research funding. Our love for Sue and for her memory will never be reduced or discarded. That is not a question.

The thought is that $200,000.00 is a respectable end point to the St. Sue Auction, and that 2023 would signify the last year for it.

By shifting our attention to a charity which focuses on issues which include men, we can keep an Auction type function at B&B, but put some funding towards a charity which also strikes close to home.

This certainly does NOT signify any less respect, devotion or love for Sue.

I don't think that she would be disappointed to see that we are ready to use the generosity of our members to help others in an area which does not get the National attention that Breast Cancer Research does.

As outstanding members here, you all have clearly demonstrated your interest in helping others, while the specific charity with which we will align ourselves has not yet been announced, we think that a charity that deals with Colorectal cancer is a cause which reflects our standards here, and which fits the demographic that is B&B.

Colorectal cancer is the second largest cause of death by cancer after lung cancer. It affects men and women almost equally, and though fewer deaths occur due to colorectal cancer than lung cancer, as the second leading cause of death from cancer, it is one of the causes which does not attract the attention that other cancer types do. We believe that we can make an impact on the lives of people who suffer from this disease, and drive towards finding a cure and helping those who have been stricken by this killer.

We are communicating this point to you guys early because we really want to make a difference in this last year of the St. Sue Auction, and make every effort to beat our goal by a significant margin.

For the Team

Phil

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
download.jpg

Hi,

At least it's not a fork in the road. Not yet anyway. I shall have to dig thru the drawer of spares for some items to put up.

I do have this Above The Tie open comb slant I bought a couple years ago. I used it for about a month and just didn't like it. That might bid up nicely this year since they closed down.

The others are all user grade pretty standard Gillette items, but even a little is worthwhile.

Stan

Sounds reasonable to me.

FWIW I did not donate an item last year, because I entirely missed that the auction was happening until too late. The likely explanation is that I was dim somehow, but perhaps it still might be a hint that it might be desirable to increase the visibility, for us slow kids in the back, if there are ways to do that.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sounds reasonable to me.

FWIW I did not donate an item last year, because I entirely missed that the auction was happening until too late. The likely explanation is that I was dim somehow, but perhaps it still might be a hint that it might be desirable to increase the visibility, for us slow kids in the back, if there are ways to do that.
There is, but I bump a thread in every forum about it every day between start of accepting donations through start of the auction.
Some folks get irritated that it's so much in the face now, so increasing awareness is going to be a delicate balancing act.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Some folks get irritated that it's so much in the face now,

Yeah, how dare us try to raise money for breast cancer awareness and research. Only ones getting irritated are those that are here every day and I suppose that’s understandable. But I bet the vast majority of members don’t check in daily but rather check in weekly, or every couple weeks. If we never bumped the threads they would simply get lost and significantly less members would be aware such a thing exists here.

There is, but I bump a thread in every forum about it every day between start of accepting donations through start of the auction.
Some folks get irritated that it's so much in the face now, so increasing awareness is going to be a delicate balancing act.
Hi,

In the FWIW Dept, the thread in every forum, and the bumps every day, bother me not one whit. It's the Number One Best Thing we do around here. :)

I participated in last year's auction as a bidder but not as a donator. And that's My Bad. I just didn't give any thought to what's in the drawer. I thought about it this year because ATT went out and I have a practically unused razor from them. A perfect item to donate. It might bid way up there with the Chinese balloons. ;)

My other User Grade stuff, maybe not so much by way of Big Bucks, but I really ought to stick such in the auction as on the BST.

Stan

Guys - the stats that Phil relays on colorectal cancer are sobering. If your over 50 and have not had a colonoscopy - get one!!

It may save your life.
In MB (Canada) they do ColonCheck starting at 50. If you are considered "High Risk" or anything out of the ordinary is found during your FOBT(poop smear), they will order up a colonoscopy.

I did my first FOBT test this year. I was screened by the colonoscopy guy for a colonoscopy as my Dad was diagnosed with colon cancer and had successfully surgery. He's all clear now, less a whack of his upper GI, but he wasn't diagnosed until his early 80s, so a poop test was ordered for me. Got my results yesterday, I'm all clear.

Talk to you doctor, talk to your loved ones, get tested and make sure to follow through with regular screenings.

Last edited:
In MB (Canada) they do ColonCheck starting at 50. If you are considered "High Risk" or anything out of the ordinary is found during your FIT (poop smear) they screen for a possible colonoscopy.

I did my first one this year. I was screened for a colonoscopy as my Dad was diagnosed with colorectal cancer and had successfully surgery. He's all clear now, less a whack of his upper GI, but he wasn't diagnosed until his early 80s, so a poop test was ordered for me. Got my results yesterday, I'm all clear.

Talk to you doctor, talk to your loved ones, get tested and make sure to follow through with regular screenings.

My father also had colorectal cancer, so I'm on the 5year plan (a screening every five years).

Screening can save your life. By removing precancerous polyps you can / may prevent the cancer from developing. Seems there are many 50 and over people on this site so placing a bump about testing and the auction should not bother anyone. Just look at it as a public service announcement.
By the way I am an oncology nurse or (murse)= male nurse. Cancer is terrible no matter what kind it is, and once it metastasizes to a different location in the body treatment usually changes from trying to possibly cure the cancer palliative, where you are just trying to keep it in check.
So a bump reminder should be no big deal.

Top Bottom