What's new

INFO! Saint Sue Annual Auction Changes

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Screening can save your life. By removing precancerous polyps you can / may prevent the cancer from developing. Seems there are many 50 and over people on this site so placing a bump about testing and the auction should not bother anyone. Just look at it as a public service announcement.
By the way I am an oncology nurse or (murse)= male nurse. Cancer is terrible no matter what kind it is, and once it metastasizes to a different location in the body treatment usually changes from trying to possibly cure the cancer palliative, where you are just trying to keep it in check.
So a bump reminder should be no big deal.
Please, especially if you are over 50 years old (40 if you have a family history of colon cancer), get regular colonoscopy screening.

I lost my dad to colon cancer. It's a horrible way to die.

Hi,

Bump.jpg

I borrowed this....

Cause it is time!

But now I'm gonna say: Follow The Bunny:

RabbitHole.jpg

Down his rabbit hole known as the Yearly Auction!

:)

Stan

I went in for what I expected to be a routine colonoscopy at 51. The doctor also expected it to be routine—but after I woke up I found out the 45 minute procedure lasted almost two hours because they found a tumor and had to remove it. That was 6 months ago. I’m going back next week for another colonoscopy so the doctor can make sure he got it all. I will then likely be put on an annual screening schedule assuming my follow-up looks good.

All I can say is do it! The discomfort is temporary. The benefits are long-lasting.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I went in for what I expected to be a routine colonoscopy at 51. The doctor also expected it to be routine—but after I woke up I found out the 45 minute procedure lasted almost two hours because they found a tumor and had to remove it. That was 6 months ago. I’m going back next week for another colonoscopy so the doctor can make sure he got it all. I will then likely be put on an annual screening schedule assuming my follow-up looks good.

All I can say is do it! The discomfort is temporary. The benefits are long-lasting.
Amen.

I've been on Coumadin since '06 when I had an artificial heart valve replacement performed. At that time I was 44? or thereabouts. When I was a little? bit past 50 they came out with the test where you basically do your duty in a box and mail it to a lab. 97+% effective in finding cancer cells.

My first time I think? was mostly out of pocket. I'm a murse like @Tillerman ; we could tell you tales about the lousy healthcare insurance those in the healthcare industry have, lol.

I write all that to tell you: get scoped, or the poop in a box route, whatever, just do it. Colon cancer just plain stinks. Imagine having a hole coming out of your midsection that you get to have a (quite often) ill fitting bag holding your excrement under your clothes. And you get to open said bag to "burp" it, only it don't smell like a burp. It quite often puts a cramp on your social life and makes you want to stay home more than is healthy.

Sorry for the graphic details, but some of you maroons need to get over yourself. You have a choice. I have loved ones suffering and some that have died from a disease that has a high success rate for a cure IF CAUGHT EARLY.

Oh, you don't look forward to the delicious drink to make your Doctor's job easier to see any polyps. Boo Hoo. How uncomfortable are your loved ones going to be if you ain't around?

Let's finish strong for St. Sue, and be an example for the wet shaving community.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sorry for the graphic details, but some of you maroons need to get over yourself. You have a choice. I have loved ones suffering and some that have died from a disease that has a high success rate for a cure IF CAUGHT EARLY.

Oh, you don't look forward to the delicious drink to make your Doctor's job easier to see any polyps. Boo Hoo. How uncomfortable are your loved ones going to be if you ain't around?
I learned my lesson in 1989 when I was 34? I had developed some polyps that were leaking and came very close to getting one of those appliances @FarmerTan spoke so lowly about. Diver~something~itis they called it. Pre-curser to cancer.
Instead they removed 11 centimeters of my colon, and let me tell you, it was uncomfortable.

Just ask @FarmerTan what it really means when a surgeon tells you that you will experience some discomfort...:cursing:

I watch my diet, poop in a box, get scoped and drink a 12 ounce glass of Metamucil every morning.

Take care of yourself and set an example to finish strong for St. Sue.

~doug~

~doug~

Please, especially if you are over 50 years old (40 if you have a family history of colon cancer), get regular colonoscopy screening.

I lost my dad to colon cancer. It's a horrible way to die.
+1 on this. Guys make way more of a big deal about colonoscopy than they should. The treatment you will need if you have cancer, a cancer that you could have avoided just by getting rid of polyps during a colonoscopy, will be far more uncomfortable. Also, I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a test, but the best thing I can say for those Cologuard things is that they are better than nothing. They are not colonoscopies.

To the Membership:

You may or may not be aware that the annual Saint Sue Auction has been ongoing every October at B&B since 2010. As of 2022, $188,000.00 has been raised for breast cancer research.

We are within one auction of reaching and surpassing a $200,000.00 goal. Nearly a quarter of a million dollars - that is a respectable sum.

The participation in the Auction over the last several years has been slowly dwindling. In part, this is because virtually none of our current members were members when Sue was an active participant here. The majority of members, as evidenced by the increasing number of people who ask us who Sue was and why we are doing this, is indicative that there isn't the personal connection that there used to be.

We have determined that it is probably time to share the generosity of our membership on a charity which focuses its goals more in line with the membership base that we have. We now feel the time is right to partner with a new charity in 2024 to share our member’s generosity which is more aligned with our core demographic.

Let's be very clear here: There is no disrespect in this consideration, intended or actual. We have made an impact in Breast Cancer research funding. Our love for Sue and for her memory will never be reduced or discarded. That is not a question.

The thought is that $200,000.00 is a respectable end point to the St. Sue Auction, and that 2023 would signify the last year for it.

By shifting our attention to a charity which focuses on issues which include men, we can keep an Auction type function at B&B, but put some funding towards a charity which also strikes close to home.

This certainly does NOT signify any less respect, devotion or love for Sue.

I don't think that she would be disappointed to see that we are ready to use the generosity of our members to help others in an area which does not get the National attention that Breast Cancer Research does.

As outstanding members here, you all have clearly demonstrated your interest in helping others, while the specific charity with which we will align ourselves has not yet been announced, we think that a charity that deals with Colorectal cancer is a cause which reflects our standards here, and which fits the demographic that is B&B.

Colorectal cancer is the second largest cause of death by cancer after lung cancer. It affects men and women almost equally, and though fewer deaths occur due to colorectal cancer than lung cancer, as the second leading cause of death from cancer, it is one of the causes which does not attract the attention that other cancer types do. We believe that we can make an impact on the lives of people who suffer from this disease, and drive towards finding a cure and helping those who have been stricken by this killer.

We are communicating this point to you guys early because we really want to make a difference in this last year of the St. Sue Auction, and make every effort to beat our goal by a significant margin.

For the Team

Phil
Where and when will I be able to view items up for auction?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I write all that to tell you: get scoped, or the poop in a box route, whatever, just do it. Colon cancer just plain stinks.

+1 on this. Guys make way more of a big deal about colonoscopy than they should. The treatment you will need if you have cancer, a cancer that you could have avoided just by getting rid of polyps during a colonoscopy, will be far more uncomfortable. Also, I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a test, but the best thing I can say for those Cologuard things is that they are better than nothing. They are not colonoscopies.

It saved mine.
When you get this in the mail➡️
20231005_081402[1].jpg
Just follow the directions, then be sure to put it in the mail within 24 hours!
20231016_073225[1].jpg
Don't just talk or read about it, do it!!!

~doug~

Top Bottom