What's new

Engraving DE razor

Hi.
My son is starting to turn into a man and I thought it would be nice to introduce him to the world of real shaving with his own razor.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what's best. I have a few merkurs (34C and long progress) which are fab. My dad had a Parker and hated it! I hear the Muhle R89 is good.

I would like to engrave the top with a nice message so i don't want a plated razor in case it chips off.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately your options are limited to only stainless steel razors then. But they come with a price. Some cheaper options have stainless steel handle but the head is plated. The muhle R89 is a mild razor and i think it is suited for a beginner. But it is chrome plated razor so it does not suit for engraving.

Unfortunately your options are limited to only stainless steel razors then. But they come with a price. Some cheaper options have stainless steel handle but the head is plated. The muhle R89 is a mild razor and i think it is suited for a beginner. But it is chrome plated razor so it does not suit for engraving.

Very true. It's impossible to engrave anything but an all steel head since the chrome layer will peel off.

For a very friendly "first" razor consider a Merkur 180 Long handle. Then experiment with various blades to find the right one to use all the time.

Buy a vintage razor, have it engraved, then send it to Chris for a replate.

As an aside, today's razor makers should do something with their top caps. Eclipse, Darwin, Wade & Butcher, etc., all decorated their DE top caps to great effect.

R

romsitsa

Nickel plating is softer than chrome, it shouldn't chip away while engraving. Chrome has a higher chance to lose some plating, but it can be also done, for eg. engraved Zippo lighters.

Adam

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Nickel plating is softer than chrome, it shouldn't chip away while engraving. Chrome has a higher chance to lose some plating, but it can be also done, for eg. engraved Zippo lighters.

Adam

You have to start with a suitable Razor head stainless steel or a Vintage Gillette and have it replated since I'm sure you want it to last along long time . merkur and parker are made of Zamak which will deteriorate quickly if it gets wet

R

romsitsa

I don't know "modern" razors, only old Gillettes, so I never used a zamak razor ;).

A

Buy a vintage razor, have it engraved, then send it to Chris for a replate.

Adam

This is always an option but could cost you more than all steel razor. Also the quality might not be what you want since we are dealing with un-even surface. Older razors tend to be made from Brass so its possible to engrave even with plating but corrosion would be a problem without the re-plating.

Last edited:
I had an old retired engraver put my B&B name (Cornishman) on a vintage Gillette opened comb "New".
Then attached the head to a Above The Tie Atlas handle.
It came out OK.
$c1.jpg

R

romsitsa

Found a lady who hand engraves (she said machine engraving is meh ;) ), left my 40ies superspeed by her. Crossing fingers till monday.

Adam

Top Bottom