What's new

your favorite 1k and or bevel setter

I'm thinking though when your having trouble with getting a real sharp coti edge. Like I had. This could help until the person learns the stone.get it as sharp as you can then let the paste bring up the keenness.

Mine was actually cheap. I got it off the bay. Pretty sure the guy who sold it wanted to unload it because it wasn't a great finisher. It is much closer to being a royal pain as a finisher requiring loads of water and crazy light stokes and even then only leaving a passable finish. Put a heavy slurry on it though and don't be shy about the pressure and it will cut with DMT 1200 speed! Then I dilute down to water only and the razor is ready to go to any number of much finer cotis for water only finishing. I have lots of good finishing cotis, but I only have one drag race coti. :scooter:

So I've been thinking alot about this. And I'm pretty sure what I'm gonna do is get rid of all my synths except for a 1k and start a coti collection. Stones of all different ranges of finishing. I'll probably never shave off synthetic again. So why not?

Ha! Yeah mine did still feel like a coti edge. But i could feel it was there. I got a little bite. But if you give it the full pasted strop treatment, it will start getting a little harsh. Not as bad as if you used another stone, but you can feel it. I'm gonna play a little more. Maybe just 5 laps this time after the coti. 12 was a little too much.

LOL I am wondering if the balsa strops and/or Pasted strops would give a different result than the handmade duck cloth strops that I made and use combined with the 50K grit and 200K grit diamond sprays. They do not add a great deal of keenness to the edge as much as they polish the edge that is already there. There is a huge amount of flexibility in the strops I made for this application as well. It is even more pliable than the softest leather strops and coupled with the diamond sprays I use it leaves a seriously mirror like edge on all of the razors I take across it. I will be doing an evening shave today as I do not shave on Sundays in order to have a good 36 to 48 hours or so between shaves at least once a week. Having sensitive skin this helps a lot for me to be able to shave daily throughout the week for work.

So I've been thinking alot about this. And I'm pretty sure what I'm gonna do is get rid of all my synths except for a 1k and start a coti collection. Stones of all different ranges of finishing. I'll probably never shave off synthetic again. So why not?

:blush: Oh that would be a terrible idea! :blush:
$P8310020.jpg

I use the K11 Kasumi (superior). For me the perfect bevelsetter for razors. Short bathe in water is needed, until the bubbles stop (ca. 2-3 min. are enough). Slightly smaller than my King 1000/6000 but twice as good.
The razor get super sharp, shaved easily arm hair and that relatively quick. The dark metal debris can washed away quickly under the tap.

Ha ! Have you got rid of all your synths as well?

No, I am such a goof that I like to break out all kinds of crazy stuff once in a while. Film, synths, Arks, pastes. The only reason I don't have more stuff is money. My "excuse" is I can't very well say that I prefer coticule edges if I don't try everything else can I?

Not me, I prefer the Chosera 1k over the Shapton Pro 1k hands down. The Shapton is a little harder bound so it stops cutting and doesn't shed the dull grit fast enough for razors at razor pressures IMO. It's awesome for knives though. The Shapton does a little better if you soak it for a while before use but so does the Chosera, which makes it even that much better than the Shapton IMO.

Not me, I prefer the Chosera 1k over the Shapton Pro 1k hands down. The Shapton is a little harder bound so it stops cutting and doesn't shed the dull grit fast enough for razors at razor pressures IMO. It's awesome for knives though. The Shapton does a little better if you soak it for a while before use but so does the Chosera, which makes it even that much better than the Shapton IMO.

Oh boy here we go.

I ended up grabbing the 1.5 anyways. I'm sure I'll be happy after reading all the good talk about it here.

I assume they are pretty much the same thing correct?

Nope, that's why I have all three. 2k is 1/2 the grit of 1K. I use them in progression. I can get HHT off the 2K easily. I sold my Nortons and Naniwas. Loves me some Shapton Pros. I got 6 of them in my progression. I finish on a Suehiro G20 (0.5 micron).

Top Bottom