What's new

your favorite 1k and or bevel setter

I generally use a 1k King for Bevel Setting myself, I seem to have gotten a really good one myself though. Apparently many of them dish really bad or just do not work really well but mine works perfectly on every edge I have used it for. Sometimes though with damaged edges or really dull blades I will start with a 300 or 600 DMT to clean up things a bit and then go to the 1K King. Or if it already has a clean blade edge with no damage at all other than needing the bevel to be reset I will just start with the Coticule on a heavy slurry and go from there all the way through to water only on the Coticule.

Yeah mine has got me by. I just have to wait like 20 minutes for it to soak. And I have a smaller one. The one that comes in the stand. I don't like that.

Price on the Shaptons is nice but honestly if I were buying another 1k it would probably be a Chosera at this point. Then again, a Shapton 2k looks like a really nice bevel setter too - I cannot overemphasize how fast my 1k M15 is, I suspect the 2k would do the job just fine.

Yeah mine has got me by. I just have to wait like 20 minutes for it to soak. And I have a smaller one. The one that comes in the stand. I don't like that.

Mine is actually a combo 1K/6K, I just flip it when I am going to finish on the Black Hard Arkansas. Three stone progression 1K, 6K, BHA. Ends up with an edge that is really hard to beat for closeness, however, the Coti is definitely TOPS for comfort along with a very close shave:thumbup:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Don't laugh. I use sandpaper for bevel setting. Works great, I get as big a honing surface as I want, its cheap and I dont have to buy a rock that seldom gets used, it is as flat as the surface I stick it to and never needs lapping, it is disposable and expendable, and it just plain works great. Plus I can start with whatever grit I think is appropriate to the razor and the amount of steel I anticipate removing.

Don't laugh. I use sandpaper for bevel setting. Works great, I get as big a honing surface as I want, its cheap and I dont have to buy a rock that seldom gets used, it is as flat as the surface I stick it to and never needs lapping, it is disposable and expendable, and it just plain works great. Plus I can start with whatever grit I think is appropriate to the razor and the amount of steel I anticipate removing.

Nothing wrong with that.

Naniwa SS 1K for normal bevel setting, or if it's really out of wack the SS 800. Under running water cuts fast..

Just curious as to where you heard this. If this is legit, I will buy some backups. Thanks!

They still sell the pros here (the Ha no Kuromaku line anyway, which is what the Pro line is.) They still sell the older M15 and M25 here too. So I doubt they are phasing out the Kuromaku line.

It's possible they might be eliminating the Pro packaging and just going with Kuromaku now that the name is better known? It's the same stone.

Last edited:
I had the nubatano (sp?) and it was fine.

I've also used the DMT 600-1200 duasharp

I now only use the chosera 1k

King 1k for me. the Chosera / Superstone 1K looks good though. might pick one up sometime this year....maybe :)

Last edited:
Ive tried the DMT1200/EF8", he Shapton glass 1k and 2k, and Chosera 1k. I really liked trying different bevel setters bc it was the one thing I was good at. And could max out. The Shap Glass 1k was faster than the Chosera 1k, the DMT initially turned me off bc of the feedback and sound, but once I lightened pressure up it actually wasn't that bad. And it was nice to just whip it out and hone, knowing it was flat enough... The feedback on the Shap Glass 2k wasn't as enjoyable as for as bevel setters go (IMO). Chosera has the most enjoyable feeling and sound, DMT easiest to use, Shap Glass 1k, possibly faster than the DMT?? Didnt have em at the same time, but wouldnt be surprised.

If I ever try my hand at straights again, i'd probably get the Chosera 800 and a Shap Pro 1.5, bc buying the same stone twice makes me think about how much money i've spent ( cringe emoji )

CKTG is a board sponsor and they have them. I bought all my Shapton Pros from them.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shaptonpro.html

I thought I read it here actually. Maybe it was something else. Nope here it is. I knew I wasn't crazy! But it doesn't mean it a true. My tablet is a pain so I can't copy the link but here's a screen shot. Its number 4.

. $Screenshot_2016-02-05-10-35-03.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom