What's new

your favorite 1k and or bevel setter

Mine is actually a combo 1K/6K, I just flip it when I am going to finish on the Black Hard Arkansas. Three stone progression 1K, 6K, BHA. Ends up with an edge that is really hard to beat for closeness, however, the Coti is definitely TOPS for comfort along with a very close shave:thumbup:

I was interested in those. I was looking at those and the translucent. How do they compare to the coti? So which are u using at the moment?

Keith, you are going to think I am crazy, but go back to the perfect edge and ask him if he has a speed demon coti. I have a coti with cutting speed way outside of the zone for coticules. I am talking pure insane cutting speed! He has seen so many stones he may have one. Here is mine.
View attachment 634916

Sounds like an expensive bevel setter!

I took the advise of so many members here on the honing forum and bought myself the Chosera 1k for bevel setting. Don't see myself ever needing anything else.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I took the advise of so many members here on the honing forum and bought myself the Chosera 1k for bevel setting. Don't see myself ever needing anything else.

You dont need anything else, except maybe for big repair jobs and you can always use a cheap HF diamond block or sandpaper on glass for that. The Chosera is a great bevel setter. Fast cutter. Keep it lapped and it won't let you down.

You dont need anything else, except maybe for big repair jobs and you can always use a cheap HF diamond block or sandpaper on glass for that. The Chosera is a great bevel setter. Fast cutter. Keep it lapped and it won't let you down.

I have those as well. The 4 sided block and the single ones. Mine were all warped. I wouldn't use those on my pocket knives. They seemed like the Diamonds were inconsistent. Some spots were coarser.

Last edited:
I really like the chosera b/c I like honing on the side as most of my blades have a slight smile following the spine, facilitates my action although the rolling x is not too difficult either on the face.

I was interested in those. I was looking at those and the translucent. How do they compare to the coti? So which are u using at the moment?

I actually use both depending on the razor I am honing. My ERN 32 though is making the transition from Arkansas Edge to Coticule. My ERN 1106 though Is still riding the Arkansas where I honed it up on the 1K/6K and then spent a lot of time on the Arkie to get a truly splendid and lazer sharp finish. The thing with Arkansas Finishers is that they are Very hard and slow cutters, so with an Arkansas, (Depending on how well it is lapped when you get it), will provide a superior keenness to the edge, some find that level of sharpness very harsh though. Whereas the Coticule has the benefit of a very keen edge, just not as sharp as other finishers, however it is also far smoother than anything I have ever shaved with. I also tested the theory that states "You Cannot Overhone on a Coicule". I did over 2000 laps on the Coti with my Erik Anton Berg Razor and I can attest to the fact that I fully believe this statement to be true as I got a spectacular shave and have had more than a couple since on the very same edge so no damage from that many laps.

I actually use both depending on the razor I am honing. My ERN 32 though is making the transition from Arkansas Edge to Coticule. My ERN 1106 though Is still riding the Arkansas where I honed it up on the 1K/6K and then spent a lot of time on the Arkie to get a truly splendid and lazer sharp finish. The thing with Arkansas Finishers is that they are Very hard and slow cutters, so with an Arkansas, (Depending on how well it is lapped when you get it), will provide a superior keenness to the edge, some find that level of sharpness very harsh though. Whereas the Coticule has the benefit of a very keen edge, just not as sharp as other finishers, however it is also far smoother than anything I have ever shaved with. I also tested the theory that states "You Cannot Overhone on a Coicule". I did over 2000 laps on the Coti with my Erik Anton Berg Razor and I can attest to the fact that I fully believe this statement to be true as I got a spectacular shave and have had more than a couple since on the very same edge so no damage from that many laps.

Good to hear about the cotis not being able to over hone. Sometimes I just sit there for an hour and do laps. Always seemed that way to me also.

Good to hear about the cotis not being able to over hone. Sometimes I just sit there for an hour and do laps. Always seemed that way to me also.

Oh yes, it is a very nice quality. I am very much looking forward to the Bout I ordered getting here so I can play around with it. Larger than the 50x113 I have now and also from what Admin at TSS said it is a stellar finisher so that will more than likely be the role it plays even if I start out on the other Coticule or other stones I have.

Oh yes, it is a very nice quality. I am very much looking forward to the Bout I ordered getting here so I can play around with it. Larger than the 50x113 I have now and also from what Admin at TSS said it is a stellar finisher so that will more than likely be the role it plays even if I start out on the other Coticule or other stones I have.

Sounds like you got a good one coming.

Sounds like you got a good one coming.

I Sure hope so, even if it is just a great finisher, I know I will be getting another coti for progressions that is a bit larger in order to reduce the wear on my vintage natural because those are danged near impossible to find for a reasonable price because they just don't seem to make them that way anymore. Especially with the 50mm width, all of the naturals I have seen out and about online have all been narrower than 50, more like 40 or less in width. I am just chomping at the bit for it to get here. Scheduled for Monday but I have my fingers crossed for arrival tomorrow LOL Nothing like Honing while watching the big game :w00t:

Devonmoonshire, are you still finishing on the high grit diamond sprays? I was curious how you would like the coti after being used to such a keen edge.

Sounds like an expensive bevel setter!

Mine was actually cheap. I got it off the bay. Pretty sure the guy who sold it wanted to unload it because it wasn't a great finisher. It is much closer to being a royal pain as a finisher requiring loads of water and crazy light stokes and even then only leaving a passable finish. Put a heavy slurry on it though and don't be shy about the pressure and it will cut with DMT 1200 speed! Then I dilute down to water only and the razor is ready to go to any number of much finer cotis for water only finishing. I have lots of good finishing cotis, but I only have one drag race coti. :scooter:

Devonmoonshire, are you still finishing on the high grit diamond sprays? I was curious how you would like the coti after being used to such a keen edge.

For the Razors that I finish still on the Black Hard Ark I do still use the diamond sprayed duck cloth strops I made for the sprays. When it comes to the Coti finishing though I just take it straight to the Tony miller Old No.2 Heirloom Strop and shave from there, the edges are still extremely keen on this coticule, not as keen as the Black Hard ark with the diamond sprayed strops, but the closeness of the shave is every bit as good and 10X more comfortable than the Lunatic Sharp edges I get off the BHA with the diamond sprayed strops.

So when I am going for not having to shave for over 36 hours the sprayed strop finish definitely gets the nod. For every day shaves that I must do for work though I absolutely Love the Coticule Edges over the Sprayed Strop Finishing.

Mine was actually cheap. I got it off the bay. Pretty sure the guy who sold it wanted to unload it because it wasn't a great finisher. It is much closer to being a royal pain as a finisher requiring loads of water and crazy light stokes and even then only leaving a passable finish. Put a heavy slurry on it though and don't be shy about the pressure and it will cut with DMT 1200 speed! Then I dilute down to water only and the razor is ready to go to any number of much finer cotis for water only finishing. I have lots of good finishing cotis, but I only have one drag race coti. :scooter:

That's pretty cool.

For the Razors that I finish still on the Black Hard Ark I do still use the diamond sprayed duck cloth strops I made for the sprays. When it comes to the Coti finishing though I just take it straight to the Tony miller Old No.2 Heirloom Strop and shave from there, the edges are still extremely keen on this coticule, not as keen as the Black Hard ark with the diamond sprayed strops, but the closeness of the shave is every bit as good and 10X more comfortable than the Lunatic Sharp edges I get off the BHA with the diamond sprayed strops.

So when I am going for not having to shave for over 36 hours the sprayed strop finish definitely gets the nod. For every day shaves that I must do for work though I absolutely Love the Coticule Edges over the Sprayed Strop Finishing.

So today I actually used a piece of balsa with .5 diaspray after the coti. Just 12 laps and its a little 6" pice of balsa. It was pretty nice, just slightly sharper. Ever try sprayed strop after coti? I know if I really used it to get it super keen it would defeat the purpose of the coti but I was just playing around.

So today I actually used a piece of balsa with .5 diaspray after the coti. Just 12 laps and its a little 6" pice of balsa. It was pretty nice, just slightly sharper. Ever try sprayed strop after coti? I know if I really used it to get it super keen it would defeat the purpose of the coti but I was just playing around.

Kieth you really gotta stop reading my Mind LMAO:lol: I just got done doing that very thing tonight. My ERN32 Crown and Sword has now been modified from the original Progression to the Coti Progression and all the talk about it prompted me to go ahead and add the Diamond Sprayed Strops to the mix so I will be shaving with it tomorrow after I take the kids to the base to run a few miles LOL I am hoping that it will not only be keener, but also maintain the Comfort level of the Coticule edge :thumbup1: I will definitely report back on that tomorrow after I shave:001_cool:

Kieth you really gotta stop reading my Mind LMAO:lol: I just got done doing that very thing tonight. My ERN32 Crown and Sword has now been modified from the original Progression to the Coti Progression and all the talk about it prompted me to go ahead and add the Diamond Sprayed Strops to the mix so I will be shaving with it tomorrow after I take the kids to the base to run a few miles LOL I am hoping that it will not only be keener, but also maintain the Comfort level of the Coticule edge :thumbup1: I will definitely report back on that tomorrow after I shave:001_cool:

Ha! Yeah mine did still feel like a coti edge. But i could feel it was there. I got a little bite. But if you give it the full pasted strop treatment, it will start getting a little harsh. Not as bad as if you used another stone, but you can feel it. I'm gonna play a little more. Maybe just 5 laps this time after the coti. 12 was a little too much.

Top Bottom