What's new

How do YOU sharpen your knives?

Simple question, whetstone, ceramic rod, fancy hand held sharpener, really fancy electric sharpeners, or....?

I've been using a whetstone (that's supposed to use oil but I don't have any) and it's been dulling my blades ridiculously, Poor technique? Lack of lube? I dunno for sure, but I don't like it

I use an electric sharpener and until recently would strop it. I sold the strop on the forum. It was a nice one.

The electric sharpener works well but will probably void the warranty of a good knife.

The upside is it is quick and easy and some decent sharpeners (I use chefs choice) are very affordable.

Honing a blade is a tough skill to learn from what I have been told. Most straight shavers told me not to worry about honing for awhile.

I know we are talking knives but I think the concepts are transferable.

Are you using just one stone?

I have been toying with the idea of buying a serviceable strop and use diamond paste.

Take care,
Jason

Last edited:
If your learning, a Lansky system is a good way to learn good whetstone skills. Check YouTube for some videos. But nothing beats simply learning to do it by hand. After a Lot of practice you get a muscle memory and feel for the right angles, and pressure. But the ultimate in sharpening for knives is a Tormek machine and a good ceramic or Diamon stone/plate followed by leather strop. Knives must be honed at steeper angle than razors lest the edge be continually dulled and damaged. Razors have 10-12 degree edges, The best angle for a general use knife is somewhere between 17-26 degree edge depending on the steel and the hardness of the temper.

the harder the steel the better it will retain the edge, but it is also harder to sharpen. If the steel is too hard or has too hard a steel the edge becomes fragile again due to fracture. Knives and razors are totally different cutting tools and the same rules do not apply equally. Some of the techniques for attaining an edge are the same, but many differ significantly. When learning to hand sharpen it helps to stick with and learn either one or the other first and then pick up the other skills as you progress. Or just dive in and figure it out. Because there is definitely more than one way to aqquire and develop the skills necessary to sharpening any cutting tool.

For me one of the hardest tools to sharpen well are Barber's shears, or scissors. They are deceptively easy to put a good edge on, but very hard to put an excellent edge on. The test is to take three or four hairs of 3-6 inches in length and hold them between thumb and index finger and cut them with the scissors at the far end without the individual hairs deflecting when closing the blades.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I typically use water stones for my knives but also use oil stones depending on what I'm honing. There's definitely a learning curve involved.
Are you using an Arkansas stone? You can use baby oil or glycerin if you have any. Using a sharpie to mark the bevel of your knife is helpful when you're starting out....it allows you to see what your angle is and make corrections if needed.

Personally I use diamond stones no lubrication. 400 grit to raise the burr, 600 to polish the edge. Just about any quality stone will work. A good tip is to miter a piece of 2x4 to the angle that you'd like. Use this as a guide. Most importantly you must raise a burr! If the burr is not raised you will not get a good edge! You can strop if you like as well, but not nearly as important as a razor. Should be able to shave your arm with the blade very cleanly. That's more than sharp than you need for a pocket knife. I only strop my filet knives, not my utility/ field knives. Even strokes and light pressure, and practice on your cheap knives. Once you can put an edge on a cheap china steel knife the edge will come easily on the better quality knives!

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Is that system used for maintenance or can it do heavy work also?

It can do heavy work. It comes with two different types of rod, which can each be used in two different ways. So basically you have the equivalent of four "grits". I have often taken knives from edge totally shot, to hair popping. The only thing it cant do is thin and re-profile a blade. For that I use a 800 grit waterstone, or a 600 DMT plate. But for regular sharpening, the sharpmaker gets it done.

I use Japanese water stones followed by a ceramic honing rod and a leather strop. Some days I can get the angle just right and the results are impressive. Other days I do more harm than good.

Spyderco sharpmaker, usually. Gives a great edge and it's easy.

+1
Hands down the best and easiest to use. I tried stones, can't hold the angle. The lanksy is okay, but my EDC (every day carry) BenchMade 941 blade would sometimes slip and then you have to start over. I can have a razor sharp edge with the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker in 5 minutes. When I first got the 941, the Sharpmaker was the most recommended sharpener on the BenchMade forum. You can get one for about US$55. I own 2. One at home, one at work.

https://youtu.be/28dHENDuFu8

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
EdgePro Apex here. I have the stock stones up to 1000 and a set of 3000/5000/10000 Chosera stones. Lacks soul maybe but whew effortless, even, razor sharp bevels. I can freehand sharpen OK but when I need to do 3-4 knives or a super hard steel the edgepro is priceless.

Good suggestions, everyone. It helped me to realize that I've neglected my knives. I don't use them a lot, but they could all use some work.

I still have a scar from the 3 stitch gouge I got from sharpening my penknife on a whetstone as a boy. Ever since then I've sharpened my knives...carefully.

Top Bottom