What's new

How often do you lap or flatten your whetstones?

Greetings All

I am getting into honing my kitchen and pocket knives, and I am wondering when I should use a lapping plate or flattening stone. I understand that with cutlery you don’t need to nearly as much as you would with straight razor honing stones. But, I dont want dishing to ruin the straightness of the honing. How often do you all flatten your non-SR hones?

I am using a King 1k/6k dual stone. I have not purchased a flattening stone yet.

Thanks.

Legion

Staff member
Greetings All

I am getting into honing my kitchen and pocket knives, and I am wondering when I should use a lapping plate or flattening stone. I understand that with cutlery you don’t need to nearly as much as you would with straight razor honing stones. But, I dont want dishing to ruin the straightness of the honing. How often do you all flatten your non-SR hones?

I am using a King 1k/6k dual stone. I have not purchased a flattening stone yet.

Thanks.
It depends on the stones. I mostly use natural stones, and they tend to be harder and less prone to dishing than synthetic water stones like your King.

With a stone like yours I would probably give it a quick lap after every honing session. "A little bit, often" is a good mantra. Less than a minute on something like an Atoma 400 will keep it flat, but also clean out any swarf so the hone is nice for the next use.

Some ideas for you to consider.

For knives, hoes, and other tools, I use hard oilstones and ceramics. They tend to stay flat.

My intuition says a fairly flat stone may give faster results. Wil it make enough of a difference to make a difference? I don't know.

Try using the high spots for sharpening and see if that helps you. Otherwise go out to a piece of concrete and bring down the high spots when they get bad enough to irritate you.

I have a sandy yard, I throw sand and water on concrete stepping stones to resurface sharpening stones sometimes. I have flattened and resurfaced hard stones this way.

Don't suffer dull knives. Fix it so that your wife and/or mom does not have to suffer dull knives either.

It all depends on the stone and the steel as mentioned above more often is better especially with relatively soft stones like the king 1k. I typically use diamond plates up to about 600 grit just to avoid lapping water stones then jump to shapton pro 1.5k (I rarely sharpen knives above 600 grit or so).

Top Bottom