What's new

Mind helping me find a razor?

Ok so a little history, I have been wet shaving since I was about 17-18 although I did not know it was called that. I used a cart and the foam stuff out of a can, I have tried different carts and different cans of junk over my life. About a month ago, I shaved one morning before work and once I got to work i felt my face burning pretty good, so when I got home that night I was talking to my gf and said I wanted to try something new. Well that was all of the hint she needed and got me an AoS setup with the hard soap and the preshave oil and aftershave.

Now I'm still using a cart but I'm trying actual soaps and creams (trying different things as I get them in to see what I like.) Y'all guys have me wanting to try a DE razor now, but I'm pretty nervous about it. The carts that I'm currently using is Schick Hydro 3, I have been meaning to get my mach 3 out and try that again but have not yet.

I would like to try a DE Razor, but don't really know where to start. I have read alot and it seems that shaving 101 recommends starting with a medium aggressive. I would rather start with something mild I think though. I have a rough beard and sensitive skin but I guess alot of guys think this away. Even though I have a rough beard if I shave every other day its not to long. I would like to buy the feather all stainless but I would like to try something a little cheaper since I'm not sure I'm going to like DE razors or not. Are the vintage razors really better than the modern day razors? I would like to try something around the $50 range to start out. Thanks for the help guys, looking forward to see what y'all say.

If you need any other info to help me find something please let me know. Thanks again.

You could try this Gillette NEW razor starting on the weekends when you have plenty of time. This one shown is a Short Comb. Start out just shaving with the grain of your beard and remembering not to use any pressure, just the weight of the razor. Just try to remove all the shave cream and get the feel of it that way. You might surprise yourself how great the shaves can be.
$SC NEW.jpg

If the DE thing takes for you, which it most likely will, you may eventually end up (like a lot of us here on B&B) with some, or many, vintage razors. That's the fun part, when you go all in. But for just getting a start on DE shaving, I heartily recommend the Maggard razor. Get the v3 closed comb model, which is basically the Edwin Jagger DE89 head, but with a much better stainless handle, and at half the price of the EJ. It's a mild but still very effective razor. Get a sampler pack of blades, and you're ready to go. You can work on technique, with no obsessing about whether you have the right razor, as this is a very proven design. And, you avoid the many potential newbie errors associated with a vintage acquisition, e.g., which is the right razor, are there condition issues, how much to pay, etc. That knowledge will all come in due time.

For getting started, you can't go wrong with the Maggard. If you eventually move on to other razors, the Maggard's excellent handle can be used on any three-piece head, and is by itself well worth the price you will pay.

You might not like DE shaving. You probably will.

The Feather is an excellent razor.

To dip your toe in the water first is a good idea.

I'd recommend a Merkur long handle. The long handle will be a nice transition from your years of experience using cartridge razors that generally have a longer handle themselves compared to DE razors. The Merkur is good quality, consistent, and reasonably priced. It's pretty easy to find. Amazon or any number of shaving websites. Check the vendor forum here for some shops to browse.

Blade sampler is a solid suggestion.

Start off on the weekends like has been suggested.

If you get into it and in a few weeks or months you find yourself happily shaving with your DE each time, then look for an upgrade.

You may just want a nicer handle. Or a whole new razor. Might even find yourself buying one of every brand hunting the "Goldilocks" razor like lots of us do.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes along the way.

Best of luck!

If you are an Amazon shopper, find the RazoRock Mission. Solid razor, inexpensive, mild and efficient. I use one as my travel razor because I know it's replaceable, and I am very happy with it.

[edit] hmmm...sold out on Amazon. Still available on ItalianBarber.com [/edit]

Last edited:
If you want to go vintage and not spend a lot of money, a ball end or fat handle tech are easy to come by for under $20 on eBay. Some of the Gillette super speeds would work as well.

If you want to go vintage and not spend a lot of money, a ball end or fat handle tech are easy to come by for under $20 on eBay. Some of the Gillette super speeds would work as well.

That is good advice! A Super Speed or Tech is a great place to start!
A Vintage Gillette Knack is also a great razor to start with!

You also might look into the razors that Maggard Razors have. I'm partial to the MR5 handle. wonderful weight and grip.

+1. Excellent recommendation. Any Tech is a great place to start. I prefer the pre-war fat handle, but any of the vintage Gillette Techs are excellent and very abundant so the prices are very reasonable. The only one I'd stay away from for now is the Travel Tech, which has a very short handle and could make developing your technique difficult.

Merkur 34c or a Maggard (handle of your choice) with a V2 head. Either of these would be excellent introduction to DE razors.
I prefer the Maggard MR6 handle myself. Its slightly longer than the standard handles with excellent weight and balance.

I'm also a believer in staying away from aggressive DE's until farther along the learning curve. DE is not just a shaving system, it's a devotion. The beauty is between the variety of available razors and blades, you have seemingly limitless options. Good luck!

I say go vintage Techs, Super Speeds, and News are all great choices. A Slim would be nice too.

Well, in 11 responses to your op, I'm counting about 14 different razor recommendations so far. Overwhelmed, yet? <LOL>

And don't get too wrapped up in terms of mild vs. medium aggressive, because they really won't mean much to you until you're technique has progressed a bit. As a new DE shaver, you want a razor that won't slice your cheek off and won't have cost you a lot if you decide at some point that you want to try a different razor, or if you want to walk away because DE shaving isn't for you.

Copierguy's recommendation of the NEW (with a pic so a new guy knows what to look for!) is well targeted. If there is one razor that most, if not all, vintage users have in their arsenal, it's a NEW. There's even a 42 page thread posing the question "What is your favorite NEW?", they're so popular. They're plentiful on d'bay or your local antique shop, can be had for a good price ($20 or less), they're very good shavers, and they won't slice your cheek off <grin> And as easy as they are for a newb to get a great shave with, the NEW is a razor that will grow with you as your technique improves.

As a bonus, the NEW will also provide a great baseline to rate all other razors against, particularly as the enablers on B&B work their magic and convince you that you need more!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
As you can see, there are lots of choices. It's hard to go wrong with a Edwin Jagger DE89 - one of the standard recommendations for a first razor. But you asked for a mild razor and then mentioned a rough beard. This is not always a winning combination - unless you will be eternally happy with a pretty good shave.

You might be happier with an adjustable (Slim, etc.). Then you could set it to be a mild razor and eventually increase the aggression as your needs and desires require.

Go vintage. You can get a very nice Gillette Tech or Super Speed for $15-$20. If you want to aim a little higher, you can get Slim adjustable (one razor with many shaves for $25-$30.

Great shavers, Very easy to control and the quality will last forever.

1. Cost. You do not know if you will stick with it (though 95% odds say you will) so you may not want to sink money into it, yet you want to start with something comfortable.
2. Aggressiveness. If you start with too aggressive a razor, you will cut yourself even more than a typical beginner. Not aggressive enough, and you may be disappointed with the shave.
3. General razor quality. I have had a cheap Wieshi get stripped threads on the third or fourth change of blades. Some vintage models are changing hands yet again now, after decades of use across two or three previous owners. In your case, something that will get you started and will likely last a few years would suffice.

Having gone a little crazy and having bought a few things through my first year, I think a $20 Perfecto long handle would be the ideal low cost, comfort, and quality. Go to Google and search "perfecto long handle safety razor" and you will find sources that include Amazon and eBay.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Agree with the recommendation on a Super Speed or a Tech.
And yes, the vintage razors ARE much better build quality.
Dollar for dollar, they are a far superior choice to anything made today.

All good suggestions.

Me, I like the adjustable razors and the Slim is a good starting point if you want to go that route.

But I have found I prefer longer handled razors (around 4") mostly because I have huge meathooks with fat fingers growing out of my wrist and they are easier for me to control.

That being said, my daily shave usually comes from my Gillette Super Adjustable also known as the Black Beauty in the long handel version, These can be found on eBay for anywhere between $20 to $50. Pay close attention to the pictures and the description. Obviously you want one in good condition that has the Twist To Open and the Adjustable to be smooth working.

Welcome aboard! My standard recommendation is either the EJ89 or Merkur 34C, both great shavers and well within your price range.

These may be all you 'need,' ever. If not (like many here), then you can decide which direction to go, whether modern or vintage, etc., etc.

Top Bottom