What's new

Restorable?

Hello,

I recently purchased this "Kiebitz" Solingen razor on ebay. The seller's description advised it just needed to be honed and should be ready to go. But after speak to one place that does restoration services, says that it cannot be saved due to damage from the celluloid handle. I have had other services just quote me a price. So I am wondering if it can be restored and brought back to it glorious self.

$$_57.jpg$$_57 (1).jpg$$_57 (2).jpg$$_57 (3).jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A straight razor has no handle. Perhaps you mean the scales. They are not a handle because one does not hold a razor by the scales.

I don't believe the scales are celluloid. But if they are, it is a simple matter to replace them with acrylic, horn, whatever.

There is no particular reason why that razor cannot be restored, except that it is a rather un remarkable razor of no special value or significance. If you feel like it, go for it. But I would just hone it and shave with it. It is perfectly okay for a daily driver.

A straight razor has no handle. Perhaps you mean the scales. They are not a handle because one does not hold a razor by the scales.

I don't believe the scales are celluloid. But if they are, it is a simple matter to replace them with acrylic, horn, whatever.

There is no particular reason why that razor cannot be restored, except that it is a rather un remarkable razor of no special value or significance. If you feel like it, go for it. But I would just hone it and shave with it. It is perfectly okay for a daily driver.

Thanks for the info, as you can tell, I am a total noob.

Apparently some have given quotes for restoration on this piece and think it can be restored. I'm the guy who said no to the restoration.
Im sure I could clean it up but why take his money for what I believe isn't worth it.

Here's why.

The razor has been cleaned up once already as you can plainly see. This was done to remove the patterns of rust created by what are obviously celluloid scales gassing off.
If you look at the first photo you an see the very toe of the blade is damaged ( line this up with the scale it's almost white /clear in that area. coming back a bit you'll see more damage (dark cloudy area) which will line up with the area around the bird and then if you continue back to the heel /stabilizer area there is more damage that lines up perfectly and matches the shape of the light area around the center pin. And on the close up shot of the makers mark you can see the pitting just under and to the left of the bird stamping . This lines up with the light colored areas on the scales. It is almost always the light color areas of celluloid that gas off and deteriorate.

On the reverse of the blade you can see the tang,,,, an area around the middle of the blade and about a third of the way back from the toe is damage that matches the facing side and to my eye looks a bit cheesy . Hone through that and look for a decent edge? Not sure if you'll find one considering the damage on both sides.
The scales are shot in my opinion. And I also believe ( though not having the razor in hand) that the blade is as well.

Thats why I said no to the restoration. I don't think the results can justify the costs. I wouldn't spend the money on it. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I can actually get some better pictures (up close), the current pictures are actually the ones for the listing.

What mycarver said.

This one will need new scales and a blade clean up. The spots of oxidation on the blade correspond to spots on the scales.

Given the size and condition, not worth a professional restoration, you can certainly use it for practice.

What mycarver said.

This one will need new scales and a blade clean up. The spots of oxidation on the blade correspond to spots on the scales.

Given the size and condition, not worth a professional restoration, you can certainly use it for practice.

Hello,

Practice for what? Learning to restore, honing, or shaving with? I most likely do not have the necessary equipment or skill to hone it properly.

Thanks

I'm actually glad I picked up a straight that was in pretty bad condition as my first restore. I knew it wouldn't be pretty and I wasn't worried about ruining a potentially nice razor. I got to know the do's and don'ts of the art. I'm by no means a pro or even good at it but I enjoy the hobby. I don't have the proper tools so I improvise and do the best I can. Knowing that when I can get the proper tools I'll know what to look for. As for honing give lapping film a look. It's a place to start. As for shaving I recommend Whipped Dogs http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-flawed-razor or http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-razor

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Aodfan, these guys generally know what they are talking about, so in lieu of better pics, (and I am reading this thread on my phone) I am tentatively agreeing with them. Don't bother trying to fully restore. But you can easily whip up some decent acrylic scales. Order 1/8" acrylic sheet from www.tapplastics.com or cut up an acrylic clipboard. Copy the exact shape of the existing sales, then get rid of them. If they are indeed celluloid and they have begun gassing, they will eat up your steel. If you just want to make a shaver of it, I got a bunch of old Gold Dollar scales and I can send you a set along with pinning material. Once you got it pinned up maybe someone will try to hone it for you. Be warned... it is possible that a significant amount of steel might have to go away before there is steel for a good edge. It can still make a shaver.

I wouldn't try to hone it yourself if you are not already a straight shaver. You won't know whether any problems are caused by your shave technique or your honing technique. If you are eager to start honing, start by buying a shave ready razor. I will give the stock recommendation around here to check out www.whippeddog.com. Larry has introduced a lot of newbies to straight shaving on the cheap. You must know what a shave ready edge is like, before you can hope to duplicate it. Imagine trying to paint a copy of the Mona Lisa, without even seeing it. Sure, someone could describe it to you, but your copy would suck, even if you actually had artistic talent. You must experience it before you can recreate it. Same with a good shaving edge on a razor.

When you are ready to try your hand at honing, definitely try film. You can put a film setup together for less than $20. That won't even buy the first of about 4 synthetic stones you would need if you went with that. Plus with rocks, you have to lap them when new, and periodically thereafter.

How serious are you about straight shaving? What kind of strop do you have? Brush? Soap? What are you currently shaving with?

Top Bottom