What's new

Newbie with Feather AS-D2 questions.

Howdy!

New to the site (but have lurked a bit the last year or so). I've been shaving with a DE razor since last summer. My friend introduced me to wet shaving (although I now just use a shave oil, no soap) and I've been doing it exclusively since then. Prior to that I used an electric exclusively. I have used one once the last year and it felt like a rodent gnawing at my face!

My first DE razor was a 1964 flare tip super speed I picked up at a local antiques store. I quickly realized I didn't love the size of the head, and gave it to the wife who loves it. Then I found out about this place and I quickly learned of the tech. I liked the idea of a mild razor, so I found a 1954 ball end tech on ebay. When I got it, I noticed some corrosion on the post threads, but thought nothing of it until last week. I changed the blade and was tightening the handle and noticed it start to give. I unscrewed it and realized the shaft was stretching and I could see through some of the threads. Apparently some of the pre 1962 techs are plated pot metal and not all brass :(

At that point I started frantic search for a new razor, using the tech still but knowing it would completely fail at any moment. Looking for something more durable, not prone to corrosion or pitting and with a mid shave, I learned of the feather as-d2. I have now used it for two shaves, and just noticed something that seems a bit off. Problem is, I'm still too new to the razor to tell if it affects the shave or not.

What I am seeing is a slightly larger gap between the blade edge and the edge of the guard bar on one side (The right side of each pic below, the sedge on the "all stainless steel" side). It almost looks like the top cap sits ever so slightly askew as you can see a bit in the pic with the circles (again, larger gap on the right). Does this seem OK to you guys?

$IMG_0321small.jpg$IMG_0322small.jpg$IMG_0323smalledit.jpg

I also learned it is plated stainless today as well, and so I'm wondering if I've made the right choice...

In the meantime, I thought of a way to try and repair the old tech. I drilled a hole in the center of the post and epoxied in a 1/16" drill bit blank. I'll try it tomorrow once it's cured, though the corrosion is still going to be there...

$IMG_0318small.jpg$IMG_0319small.jpg

So, do you think the feather is OK? Or is that not normal? I'm wondering if I should just find another tech on ebay. I see posts all the time of people saying they are super cheap, around $10, but I've yet to see a clean one go for under $35.

ASD2 is a great razor. i don't think that I am skilled enough to be able to notice any shaving difference based on that asymmetry.

but, it is an expensive razor -- why not contact feather customer service and see what they say about it?

Your Feather looks fine to me but it's hard to tell from the photos. I personally wouldn't worry about the Feather being chrome plated stainless steel--some guys really worry about this but I've yet to see one example of this becoming a problem. My AS-D2 looks and feels like it will last several generations.

Your Feather is just fine. What you see as imperfections are really mass production tolerance required to assemble the razor. I have an as-d2 also and it took me some time to learn how to "drive" (shave) it around my face since it is so precise compared to all my other razors even my custom made Above the Tie razor.

So don't worry you did real good buying a lifetime razor. Just take your time and learn how to handle it now.

Your Feather looks fine to me but it's hard to tell from the photos. I personally wouldn't worry about the Feather being chrome plated stainless steel--some guys really worry about this but I've yet to see one example of this becoming a problem. My AS-D2 looks and feels like it will last several generations.
There are chrome plated stainless steel medical instruments that hold up well to abuse. I think that combination is a strong one -- agree with you, no worries about it at all.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I just need to get a few more shaves under my belt with it and see how it does.

As a long term Feather user I have to say that I find it suits me better than ATT or Ikon, but of course every beard is different. The Feather requires a different angle to most razors but once learnt it is second to none (but YMMV).
Keep us informed on how you get on with the repair job on the Tech.

I agree with others, your AS-D2 looks fine to me. After seeing your pic, I took a closer look at mine - and it looks just like yours. YMMV, of course, but I wouldn't worry about it: I've gone weeks using the Feather exclusively with fantastic results. It ain't the most efficient razor on my sink but it's definitely the most comfortable.

Remember that your shaving angle with the AS-D2 is going to be different than with a typical DE.
Everything looks good from your pictures though with the condition of the razor, just like mine!

I had shave #4 with it this morning. I really can't tell a difference between sides in use. Seems like it is fine.

I definitely struggle to get as close a shave as with the tech. I come out irritation free, but not super smooth. I don't think I'd call it a DFS. I guess the question is if it's my technique, or the fact that it's a mild razor. I can get a BBS with my tech which is also mild, so maybe it's just technique?

Raise the handle a bit compared to the Tech you are used to.
It was designed by Feather, keep this in mind during blade selection.
Don't try to shave the hairs off, just try to remove all the shave cream with the blade.
Once you nail the angle and achieve zero pressure magic happens.

In my hands the D2 and tech shave very, very much alike but the D2 does require slightly different angle.

If you want closer, you can add an XTG or ATG pass.

This morning's shave was much better. I think everyone is correct that the angle matters more with the feather vs the tech. So far, I've gotten no irritation at all, which I would occasionally get with the tech.

I also feel strongly that the Feather Blade will perform better on the As-D2 Razor than other blades. The Razor was designed around this particular blade. IMHO

+1. It takes awhile to dial in a new razor, find the best blades, etc. The razor will likely outlive you (no offense).

Well, after trying the razor for a week+, I think I may be ready to move on. I think it may be too mild, like many others have found. This comes as a surprise to me, as I loved the way the Gillette tech shaved, and assumed mild was the way to go. I think the main issue is that it's mildness coupled with its weight provides very little by the way of tactile or audible feedback when shaving. This leads me to apply more pressure subconsciously to be able to "feel" it working.

Now I know I could keep with it and learn to back off the pressure, but what pushed me over the line to abandon it is another razor. The amazing, superlative Lord Tech! ;) I bought the lord razor on Amazon with the feather thinking I would want a cheap razor to travel with and not risk the $150 one. It stayed in its package until today. I'm glad I tried it. I gave me a 3 pass BBS shave with no irritation at all. I could hear and feel it working. It felt a bit more aggressive than I remember the Gillette tech, so I need to try them back to back and compare.

In in terms of aggressiveness from least to most I'd rank them:
feather < Gillette tech < lord tech.

In terms of shave quality I'd rank them from least to best:
feather < lord tech < Gillette tech.

I know this is all highly variable depending upon the person, but this is what I've found. So, I think I can stay with cheap tech types and be well served. I've now got two fat handle Gillette techs inbound to compare as well.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

Last edited:
@gustophersmob

I found the same in regards to the AS-D2 and a Tech.

Interestingly enough, I traded the AS-D2 for a pre-war Tech, and we both feel like we got a great deal! I like the pre-war Tech better, and he likes the AS-D2 better. It does seem to be a YMMV thing.

Top Bottom