What's new

Which is better?

Hi guys, trying to figure out which would be better: shave every day of the workweek with the same blade OR shave every other day with the same blade? Does one way or the other damage the blade more?
Thanks
Adrian

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Should make no difference, except shaving every other day would extend the life of the blade, not give you more shaves, but make the blade last twice as many days

Neither damages the blade. Use, including pressure on the skin puts wear on the blade. I rotate out a blade based on number of uses, not number of days.
I usually shave every other day. Occasionally I will shave consecutive days. I get 5 uses from the Personna Med Preps, regardless of how many days go by. It is usage not days.

50 years ago, blades were still made from carbon steel. It rusted quickly. You had to either bathe it in isopropyl alcohol or change it frequently to avoid corrosion. Now, rusting of blades is unusually rare. Shaving is the only thing that will wear it down. Less frequent use will extend blade life.
By the same consideration, if you cover your furniture with plastic it will last longer. If you hang a rug on the wall instead of laying it on the floor, it will last longer. If you laze around instead of actually walking, your shoes will last longer....
Blades are cheap. If you enjoy shaving and do not need healing time, you may as well shave daily.

I think it’s just the wear and tear on the blade that matters. For example, when I first started DE shaving I did one pass WTG shaves daily for the first month while I figured out how to use a DE. I could get 7 shaves per blade no problem. Now my daily shave includes 3 passes, WTG, XTG and ATG plus touch-ups and buffing and I get two shaves per blade.

Hi guys, trying to figure out which would be better: shave every day of the workweek with the same blade OR shave every other day with the same blade? Does one way or the other damage the blade more?
Thanks
Adrian

I think it's just about the same thing.. You might find that shaving every other day might lead to slightly more wear on the blade, but taking the cost of an individual blade into consideration, it's a moot point.
I shave every day, and swap out the blade when I start to feel tugging and pulling, typically 3 - days of multi pass shaves.

Top Bottom