What's new

hi would you be able to tell me how old this gem micromatic clog proof razor is

it is one of 2 razors i found while helping to clean out my dads garage. he thinks it was my grandpa's razor. has 2 pat numbers under it one from 1929 other from 1930 1739280 1773614 so i am guessing 1930? i duno if you can tell the year better by the handle. View attachment 596915

forgot to mention it has 12 large groves on the guard. i think if i read online right there was 2 made 1 with 24 smaller groves and the one with the 12 large groves.

I believe Clog Profs were manufactured from 1941 to 1947. In 1947, GEM started making the Bullet Tip.

+1 The GEM Micromatic razors series give very close good shaves. Clean it up, pick up some Gem single edge SS blades and give it a try. There are some helpful youtube videos on shaving with one. They use a different angle from a double edge razor. I have an earlier model with the open comb.

My favorite-est razor is the Clog Pruf. I even like it better than my Gem 1912 short handle.

Use this razor in good health!

Gut feeling would be that the 13 tooth is the earlier one, although that's only going on styles of razor in adverts from the launch year. Aside from the comb and the way that "GEM Micromatic" is stamped on the baseplate, they are absolutely identical in every way. Comparing the "GEM Micromatic" text on the baseplate to the earliest Flying Wing (1947 on) razors doesn't glean much more as all three styles are different.

Top Bottom