What's new

Very mild yet efficient non boutique razor recommendation for a long term DE user with reactive/sensitive skin

The Tech is really good. I personally think the Henson mild (*) is a bit better. This is solely based upon my experience, however and someone else may get different results.

Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech Tech :gun_bandana:
Are the cheap, in production, Gillette 7 o’clock Sterling razors close to a Tech?

Last edited:
Are the cheap, in production, Gillette 7 o’clock Sterling razors close to a Tech?

I don't know, I'm not familiar with this model.

I have this model from 2018 and it shaves exactly as a Tech.

Gillette.jpg

If you do try the Game Changer, which I join others in recommending, be sure to try it with the titanium handle. It was good with the steel handle, but for me the titanium one was a big improvement.

I will second the Gamechanger 0.68.

If you look at the Merkur 34c, try and discover whether the version you liked was made with the old tooling (up until about 5-6 years ago) or the new tooling (looks similar, but the razor is milder and no longer has a brass thread post).

The de89 clone you tried may have been more aggressive than an actual de89. You should try the original if possible - you can just buy the head only for very little money.

Incidentally, have you tried just shaving the tiny stragglers under the nose with sideways strokes? I have many razors and have no problem getting under the nose with any of them, including things with large heads like GEM razors, by using a little sideways stroke on each side of the septum. I have to do this to hit those spots just under the nostrils and this seems to be the only way to do it - size of the razor head isn't really a factor.
Exactly!

1693544110821.png

With a good edge I have found nothing as comfortable and mild as this. It even beats my Henson mild and post was Tech.
Just sayin'.

A good, basic, top quality Thiers Issard can be had for less than $100 brand new. If purchased from The Invisible Edge, a basic blade 5/8 or 11/16 has free shipping and comes professionally honed.

There is a learning curve, but it is not much.

I guess I’m an outlier, but I actually prefer a vintage Gillette Flair Tip, Black handle or Red Tip Super speed TTO (Blue Tip is way too mild, for me) over my Gamechanger 68P (safety bar) if I want something fast and mild, and you can get those dirt cheap on eBay. I love the tech, too, but I’m more likely to reach for a New LC, or if I want more aggressive, or haven’t shaved in days, my Old Type. I have tried, and still have, GEM MMOC, Clogpruf, GC 84p, Lupo 95oc (too aggressive for me) so my push forward is to be looking for an efficient razor that is still mild. Efficient AND mild, IMO, is the elusive Goldilocks zone. “Mild” razors are a dime a dozen to me because smooth and comfortable are natural byproducts of mild gaps and exposures. The trick is great efficiency while staying mild and safe…and that why I just ordered a Karve Overlander to see if that’s my jam, and got on the wait list for a Lambda Athena as well. I really like the GC 84, but day 4-5 in a row and it’s wearing on me. As much as I love a Gillette Slim, I’m interested to see if these more expensive razors will be worth it to me. I may have a “sell off” of other razors in my future as I’m getting past having to chase the BBS every single shave. I’ve got several razors that will do that When I’m not pressed for time. It’s the really DFS/DFS+ every day that won’t irritate me, make me concentrate too hard or take too long in the morning that I’m looking for. I’ve got “mild” razors laying all over the place. I’m not made of $, and all these wonderful Gillettes cost me maybe $250 to accumulate, most as “accidental“ eBay winds or lucky lot buys- like 4 Slims for $27…I’ll easily get my money back when I sell the ones I decide not to keep. Experiment and have fun- and yes, a tech or a super speed, both really inexpensive, may suit you just fine.

I guess I’m an outlier, but I actually prefer a vintage Gillette Flair Tip, Black handle or Red Tip Super speed TTO (Blue Tip is way too mild, for me) over my Gamechanger 68P (safety bar) if I want something fast and mild, and you can get those dirt cheap on eBay. I love the tech, too, but I’m more likely to reach for a New LC, or if I want more aggressive, or haven’t shaved in days, my Old Type. I have tried, and still have, GEM MMOC, Clogpruf, GC 84p, Lupo 95oc (too aggressive for me) so my push forward is to be looking for an efficient razor that is still mild. Efficient AND mild, IMO, is the elusive Goldilocks zone. “Mild” razors are a dime a dozen to me because smooth and comfortable are natural byproducts of mild gaps and exposures. The trick is great efficiency while staying mild and safe…and that why I just ordered a Karve Overlander to see if that’s my jam, and got on the wait list for a Lambda Athena as well. I really like the GC 84, but day 4-5 in a row and it’s wearing on me. As much as I love a Gillette Slim, I’m interested to see if these more expensive razors will be worth it to me. I may have a “sell off” of other razors in my future as I’m getting past having to chase the BBS every single shave. I’ve got several razors that will do that When I’m not pressed for time. It’s the really DFS/DFS+ every day that won’t irritate me, make me concentrate too hard or take too long in the morning that I’m looking for. I’ve got “mild” razors laying all over the place. I’m not made of $, and all these wonderful Gillettes cost me maybe $250 to accumulate, most as “accidental“ eBay winds or lucky lot buys- like 4 Slims for $27…I’ll easily get my money back when I sell the ones I decide not to keep. Experiment and have fun- and yes, a tech or a super speed, both really inexpensive, may suit you just fine.
You aren't alone. As I said above, I find the GC .68P and .84P a bit harsh. The shave is otherwise okay, but nothing stellar. I much prefer my Gillette Tech or any of my Hensons. I am going to sell my James Bond Slim, Game Changer with both heads, and a couple of my Hensons (I have a few).

As many others have said, go with the Tech. Maybe try both the later slot version, or the triangle version. The triangle hole tech is slightly more aggressive, but still very mild.

The only thing comparable to me is well over the $75 mark is the Feather As-D2. I realize neither is a boutique razor but both would fit what you’re looking for

You aren't alone. As I said above, I find the GC .68P and .84P a bit harsh. The shave is otherwise okay, but nothing stellar. I much prefer my Gillette Tech or any of my Hensons. I am going to sell my James Bond Slim, Game Changer with both heads, and a couple of my Hensons (I have a few).
I’m going to order a Ti Timeless handle as many have claimed here that it made the Lupo 95 OC perfect, and also that it vastly improves the GameChanger. It will be interesting to see if that lightweight handle makes those heads more agreeable to me.I’ve wondered if I would be better off without the heavy RR handle- 2.8 oz is a pretty good chunk of metal! If that doesn’t work, I’ll be adding some gamechangers and a Lupo 95OC to BST myself.

I’m going to order a Ti Timeless handle as many have claimed here that it made the Lupo 95 OC perfect, and also that it vastly improves the GameChanger. It will be interesting to see if that lightweight handle makes those heads more agreeable to me.I’ve wondered if I would be better off without the heavy RR handle- 2.8 oz is a pretty good chunk of metal! If that doesn’t work, I’ll be adding some gamechangers and a Lupo 95OC to BST myself.
The Timeless handle looks very nice. I got a RR titanium Halo handle for my Gamechanger and I like it a lot. Never leaving well enough alone, I sawed a bit off the end and like it even more (at 85mm, now). There's a photo of my "hack job" on the BORG thread.

A lighter, titanium handle shifts the balance toward the head, and might be exactly what you're looking for.

... Thom

You've described your needs very well. My answer to your question is the Razorock Game Changer .68 safety bar razor.
If you decide to loosen up the budget, Tatara Masamune.
Thanks! And thank you for the recommendations, but the Tatara Masamune is unattainably expensive for me, and I don't see how the Game Changer could shave the parts of my moustache that are attempting to migrate to my nose haha. Seriously though, the blade will either not make contact when shaving down, or will be too steep and will scrape. Shaving up is against the grain and will give me razor bumps. Shaving sideways (or diagonally) doesn't won't be possible with the Game Changer because of how inset the corners of the blade are. This region will only get harder to shave as collagen goes away with aging. I tried a Baili with covered tabs, and the definitely don't work for me.

Top Bottom