What's new

Help wanted! What have i bought?

Bought this the other day and i can't figure out why it has the "comb/guard"?
How old it is etc.

The box says Erik Anton Berg Guldmedalj: Stockholm 1897, Paris 1900 No 15
And the price was 4 swedish krona($0,4):)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'll hazard a guess and say It's a barber's razor. I think the clip on thing can be fitted so that the razor can be used to thin hair.
I'd say you've found a really nice piece of Swedish steel that should clean up beautifully and be a dandy shaver.

I would just forget about the safety bar and use that as a normal straight. It's really nice when you find a berg that isn't a frameback/made out of rust.

How old do you guys think it is?

The word guldmedalj is gold medal and Eskilstuna is a town here in Sweden if someone wonders. :)

Okay... After a bit of surfing around I've come to a new conclusion. What you have there is a surgical instrument, namely a surgical prep razor. Which explains the guard, and the overall great condition of your find. Check this thread, towards the bottom is a razor with a similar type of guard and is obviously of medical origin. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/340835-Post-your-Pictures-Military-Straights

Wow, that's really cool.
Do you think the guard to protect the edge during movement and stressfull situtations?

I think it would be more for the patients protection than it would be the razors. It just wouldn't do to go slicing up the patient before the surgery! :biggrin1:

It's a guard to teach proper straight razor angles, there's an old advertisement showing a father giving his son one of these in order to teach him to shave with a straight without cutting himself. Consider the guard like "training wheels" on a bike....

Here's a similar one for a Torrey:

$torreylittleguard.JPG

Last edited:
While the guard does look like some of the early "safety" razor guards, I think it's just a cover to protect the blade when not in use. I don't see any way the razor could be used with it in place.

Don't know if that means it's a surgical razor or not, but that's what the guard appears to be.

Eskilstuna is more than just a town in Sweden. It's the Swedish version of Solingen or Sheffield. It's the town that when stamped on cutlery was used as proof of its quality.

Seen quite a few of those, and these types with add-on's.

It's either an attachment for thinning hair.

Or it's a "beginner" razor, there used to be adds of a father with his son, and a razor like that, teaching him how to shave.

The guard, if this is the version (can't see too well on my phone right now), was to guide the new user and protect against cuts.

Nice maker though, one of the best - nice grab :)

Top Bottom