What's new

With the grain (WTG)twice.your thoughts?

I am generally a one pass shaver...WTG...with touch ups. And I walk away from the mirror with a great shave and no irritation and only the rare nick or weeper. I recently heard that barbers generally recommend only shaving with the grain. As much as I like the idea of a 3 pass shave I just can't seem to do it without major irritation...no matter what I try (prep/technique/tools/software/process).

I recently have started a 2 pass WTG shave and I am achieving amazing results...without irritation. I am wondering if others have any experience with 2 pass WTG shaves?

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've done similar, but I don't mind (and don't have any problems with) an ATG pass. If you're getting the shave you want, then rock on!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I shave ATG . It causes me no problems.

I use a 1958 Super Speed razor. I am told it is a mild razor.

Do not be a perfectionist shaving.

Please indicate where you are from.

My WTG passes do a terrible job of removing the hair on my chin and under. Only reduces it to a 5 o'clock shadow. I do however only perform 2 WTG on my upper lip and I get great results.

With a 1954 ss flare tip I do a four pass shave and then do a second WTG in problem areas at the end. Although I've started replacing that with j hooking. With my ca 1919 Damaskeene I do WTG - XTG - WTG and get a tight shave.

I would love to just to two pass WTG and have BBS shaves - I am very envious of you! (I require a couple of ATG passes after the first WTG).

I do 1.5 WTG passes.. first pass fully WTG and second XTG on the upper part of my face (cheeks, chin and sideburns) and WTG on my neck again.

I have no desire to attain 'true' BBS with the level of irritation it gives me..

Ad Astra

The Instigator
ATG isn't worth the "loss of face."

A pain-free 95% WTG/XTG shave is always better than a 99% ATG shave with first aid applied after.

AA

I shave WTG in a very general sense for one pass and XTG/ATG in a very general sense for a second pass. I do require two crossing passes for a close shave. In actuality I shave according to how easy and effective it is for the various areas of my face rather than according to any "face mapping". I believe one of the problems with these specialized forums and associated advise is that we get into a habit of overthinking the process. Just find what works, is comfortable and produces acceptable results and forget the textbook.

Today, I tried WTG, WTG, ATG. I got a SAS with this.

The other day (before I even saw this thread) I wondered about doing WTG, ATG, ATG.

I do the exact same thing, 2 passes WTG and touchups if needed. I think this is ideal for people who can't do XTG or ATG. If you're after BBS than 2 passes WTG ain't going to get it done, but if you are after irritation free shaves, 2 passes WTG is a good place to start.

I'm a 3-pass shaver, as my facial hair is pretty coarse and dense...making an ATG pass really stretches the length of time before any stubble/shadow starts to appear, which I like. I used to get major irritation from going ATG but I've got my technique down to where I get very little (if any) irritation, and if I do, it fades very quickly.

Bottom line, if you're getting good results with what you're doing, keep it up!

Top Bottom