What's new

Can't make my mind up

Hey guys, I've been doing my research on buying my first adjustable and I just can't make up my mind. The three razors I'm considering are: Gillette fat boy, Gillette slim, and Merkur Progress. I have read a bunch of posts about each and I know my own mileage may vary from others. I'd love to hear some of your opinions on the three.

Thanks in advance,

Rodney

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Merkur Progress. I've never used it that's why I would pick that one.

I have used a FB and a Slim. IMO they are pretty much the same razor.

People say that the progress is better but might need some tweaking and I think that the plastic knob is ugly. You could get a Mergress which take care of the problems.
Between the Fatboy and the slim, go with the cheaper slim.

I just got outbid on a slim but that's what i'm going for. I will get one. Many say the slim and FB are the same but the slim has a lower height on the head and hopefully that will help me get in/around the nose area. Can't speak for Merkur, no experience with their products.

The Slim is probably the easiest to get cheaply in good condition. I use it as my daily driver and save my (gold) Executive FB for weekend or special shaves to preserve the filling. i'm biased against modern razors so cannot advise there.

Progress, without a doubt. Slims and Fatboys are nice shavers too, but IMHO the Progress is far better.
It's one of the very few safety bars I use, and it's always a pleasure. All you'll feel is smoothness and efficiency.

I had a slim. I have a Fatboy and a mergress. of the three, I actually prefer the Fatboy.
doesn't look like this thread is gonna be much help to you, lol.

I am about to give you advice that will save you much wailing and gnashing of teeth and eradicate any doubts as to whether the one you choose is superior to the others:

Just Buy All Three

Decision process

1. Definitely go vintage. Much cooler.

2. Go Slim. Less expensive than Fat boy

3. Enjoy!

IMHO in descending order of quality of shave .

1 Progress
2 Slim
3 Fatboy

But my heart says get the Slim ,I learned to shave back in the day with a Slim so I could be biased.

Glenn

I have to add to the advice to go vintage. There are enough classics in circulation to last us all several lifetimes.

You're not only shaving, but you are reliving history at the same time. BSAGuy nailed it with overall pricing of your prospective choices.

And as Muhleskinner noted, you might as well buy all 3 while you're at it!

Another vote for the Progress! I have a Slim and a Progress, and there's no comparison: the Progress is far superior for my face. In fact, when my wife got me the Progress, it stopped my razor acquisition disorder dead in its tracks. It's such a wonderful razor.

Another vote for Progress.

It was my first DE razor based only on seeing Mantic59 use it in all those youtube videos. I have tried several other razors, but keep returning to the Progress. I like the head size and weight, but mostly I like the way it shaves. Perhaps there is something about the way it bends (tensions) the blade to adjust the angle/gap to the safety bar that improves the shave. BTW, that bending the blade bit gives it a slightly different blade angle relative to handle than some other razors.

I know some folks complain about the plastic knob, but that does not bother me. I used to think it was finicky about getting the blade in straight, but I never even think about that anymore. Maybe back in the day I was looking to blame more of my problems on the razor or the blade rather than my technique. It is also possible that over the years I have just developed a method for loading the blade properly without thinking.

BTW, Notwithstanding that the Progress is easily my favorite razor, I think adjustability is over rated (ducking for cover). I guess early on it allows one to try more or less aggressiveness without buying multiple razors, and you have the sense of tuning the razor to your needs. While I'm sure there are some folks who adjust their razor pass by pass, or for other factors, I load the blade, go to my number and shave. I haven't shifted setting by more than .5 since the first few weeks of DE shaving.

Top Bottom