What's new

does anyone have a C&R license

hi guys do anyone have a curio and relic license. if anyone does. what is required as far as record keeping goes. and is it possible to buy a rifle and then sell it or give as gift.

Funny you should ask, I just got my renewal in. As long as it's on the published C&R list or over 50 years old, you can have that joker mailed to your door step.

BIG THING! Keep in mind your state's laws!!! C&R hand guns are the big thing with this comment, some states are also "particular" about certain long guns as well. If your state requires some form of permit or registration you will have to go through all the steps to get a permit to buy and register your firearm. If that is the case, more than likely you will have to go through a local gun shop to purchase it. Make sure you are not breaking state law by receiving a firearm directly on your FFL.

Record keeping is easy, go on Amazon and type in "FFL bound book." Basically you write down who you received the eligible firearm from.

There are also templates you can download for Excel and Word as well. I keep both a hard copy book and electronic record. I also keep my guns transferred on a 4473 logged as well. You never know when such info might be handy to have.

Selling a firearm transferred on your C&R.....

Scenario A: You go and buy a crate of Mosins, keep one or two, and sell the rest for profit. That's considered buying and selling for profit. Major no no on a C&R! You need a type 01 FFL to do that. The ATF will hurt you if you do something like that.

Scenario B: You bought a few Mosins, they appreciated in value. The other day you found an Arisaka with the Chrysanthemum intact in awesome condition. You sell the extra Mosins to fund the Arisaka. In that case the sale was to further benefit your collection. That is kosher.

Scenario C: Your nephew, son , etcetera has a special occasion coming up and they like vintage guns. You buy a really nice K98 and give it to them as a gift. That's ok as long as you don't make a habit of it. If they're coming to you every time they want a vintage gun, then they need to get up off their butt and get their own C&R or choke up the transfer fees to their local gun shop.

ONCE AGAIN, MAKE SURE OF YOUR STATE'S LAWS REGARDING SELLING YOUR FIREARM!

If the buyer has a C&R, good deal! You just exchange copies of your licenses and log the sale and purchase in your respective books.

If private sales without a background check are legal, make sure you do up a bill of sale and write down their driver's license info.
OPTIONAL: You can go to a dealer and have them do a background check on the buyer and do the transfer for a nominal fee. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

If the state requires a check, you have to go to a dealer and have them do a background check and the actual transfer paperwork. Exceptions may include that they meet some other criteria like having a FFL or a concealed carry permit or it is a gift to a direct relative. CHECK YOUR STATE'S LAWS!

And a shameless copy from my thread about getting a letter from the ATF:

Applying for your C&R is easy enough:

• Download the C&R application form 5310.16 7CR here:
    https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/down...-f-5310-16.pdf
  • Download Alien Compliance form 5330.20 here:
    https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/down...-f-5330-20.pdf
  • Write a cover letter to the chief law enforcement officer for your area notifying him of your applying for a FFL and include copies of the above two forms with your letter. If you're unsure of who that is, call your local ATF branch office. They're fairly nice people and will gladly answer your question.
  • Stuff the two original forms in an envelope with a copy of the CLEO cover letter and your choice of payment for your $30.00 (Check or credit card) and mail it to the ATF.

Last edited:
Kilroy nailed it. I've had a C&R for several years, and its paid for itself several times over. If you plan on buying even a few C&R type firearms in the future, get one, they are well worth the money.

another question. other than j&g gun sales. were are some other sites, or catologs

Last edited:
I had one a few years ago, it was kinda cool to order cheap ex-military firearms used by other countries and have them delivered to my doorstep. I couldn't afford ex-military guns used by the U.S. I am told some companies give small discounts to C&R license holders.
I found it interesting the way different countries designed firearms.
Ultimately from a shooting standpoint, modern commercial weapons are more likeable to me, and I got rid of all of my C&R stuff, and didn't renew my license.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I had one a few years ago, it was kinda cool to order cheap ex-military firearms used by other countries and have them delivered to my doorstep. I couldn't afford ex-military guns used by the U.S. I am told some companies give small discounts to C&R license holders.
I found it interesting the way different countries designed firearms.
Ultimately from a shooting standpoint, modern commercial weapons are more likeable to me, and I got rid of all of my C&R stuff, and didn't renew my license.

How cheap are we talking? And what websites?

Any businesses that sell C&R weapons will almost always sell to a C&R holder. As mentioned there is J&G, but there are some other favorites of mine like AIM, and even though I have personal issues with them, Classic Arms.

I agree 100%. I just keep a record on a spreadsheet. Get info on any buyers and just don't buy and sell in a pattern that would be similar to a dealer and you're Ok. I have had my C&R for 10 years or so and never gotten checked.

Kilroy nailed it. I've had a C&R for several years, and its paid for itself several times over. If you plan on buying even a few C&R type firearms in the future, get one, they are well worth the money.

another question. other than j&g gun sales. were are some other sites, or catologs

Well, off the top of my head:

Graf & Sons
Century International Arms
Samco Global Arms
Southern Ohio Gun Distributors
Aim Surplus
Sarco Inc.

Subscribing to Shotgun News is a big help as it has ads from all the major surplus players.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think I'll be mailing off my application next week. I have the two forms (and copies of each) printed just need to fill them out and mail em off along with the check. Woo!

I figure for 30 bucks why not get one

Congrats, and now you will see a steady rise in some of those older rifles or pistols you were thinking about buying.:001_smile

Brownells also allows (or did a while back) a C&R to qualify for dealer pricing. I'd tell you the way to decifer the dealer price from the product code but I've forgotten :p

Don't do it though if you ever plan on moving. C&R rifles multiply like rabbits and are HEAVY, plus they are expensive to feed and lots of the ammo looks VERY similar. It is a deep dark hole with slippery sides....

With Brownells, you just have to say you're in the industry as a gunsmith when you sign up for an account. No need for a license. The discount's not much, but every little bit counts.

On boy I got mine a few months ago. If it wasn't for a current feud with a well known online seller my safe would full already. I get them for historical reasons and to appreciate. It is addictive

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So is it any weapon that is over 50 years old can be shipped right to your door?

I'm sure there are many guns made in the 50's 60's that are real decent quality.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
50 years and older or younger if on the atf list. Some handguns are on the list that aren't 50 yet.

??

What is this list you speak of? If it's on this list you can have them shipped to your door if you have the C&R? Even though they are less than 50 years old?

Top Bottom