What's new

Is it bad to enjoy a funeral?

My wife's grandmother passed away this weekend and we had to travel from Utah to Onterio California for the funeral. Well it just so happens that West Coast Shaving is only 20 minutes away from here. So I did what the rest of you would do and dropped my wife off at her cousins and I took the kids to check it out. Not much of a retail store, but they didn't seems to mind me just wondering around and checking out their inventory. I finally was able to smell all of the scents that I have read so much about.

I did walk out of there several hundreds of dollars poorer, but what a great experience. They were really cool and I was able to touch and smell everything before I bought it. I came out with a silvertip brush for me and a synthetic brush that was as soft as a silvertip for my wife. I picked up stand for myself and two stands for my teenage daughters. Lots of thayers witch hazel, blades and a little soap for everyone.

We are here for the week and I am hoping I can talk the wife into going again. She loves wet shaving too, so I am hoping she will go.

I am glad I live two states away or I would be completely broke.

Now if I can get someone to die in Michigan. Maggards is calling my name.

I'm stealing Daniel Tosh's idea and creating a treasure hunt complete with eye patches and buried treasure. It'll be my shave set up.

I want a bonfire with me on it (inspired by Darth Vader's pyre), but they tell me you have to be a certain religion to get the permit. (And it isn't "The Force.")

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I did walk out of there several hundreds of dollars poorer

That's a lot of money.

It's not bad. That person may be heaven bound. Then you should say some 'Hallelujiahs.

I never thought I would say "great score" and "sorry for your loss" in the same sentence.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss but glad you could experience WCS. Its a tiny place packed w/ everything imaginable. I work in Ontario so I have learned to stay away from there. HA. I do head over there every few months and pick up a few things. Its tough to not spend at least $100.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Here in New Orleans, we put the fun in funeral. We dont have a procession... we have a parade. Its a party, in black suits. With marching brass bands. Yes, its okay to enjoy a funeral.

We dont have West Coast Shaving, though. Just Aiden Gill and Art Of Shaving, neither one of which is a wonderland of shave stuff, nor affordable.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Condolences on the loss of the your grandmother-in-law; I hope she had a full life and died well. Surely she would want you to be neat and freshly shaven at her funeral. Why else would she live 20 minutes away from the WCS?

In general you should enjoy your own funeral but beyond that you should appreciate the somberness of the occasion.

As a man who went to seminary, I say as long as you weren't bragging about the haul during services, no problem!

And since we are sharing, I always was a bit of a joker, so when I go, I want ice packed in the casket, long necks shoved around me, and a sign next to the pulpit saying, "Hey, guys, Beer is on me!"

Last edited:
It's OK as long as you didn't try to tell everyone at the graveside about your shaving supplies.

Being joyful or sorrowful at a funeral depends on your religious beliefs (and, of course, those of the departed). But that's not really what your question was about.

My grandmother died just shortly before my wedding. We actually had to come up with a Plan B for the rehearsal dinner, because my parents didn't have time to prepare to cook the meal, what with their being a couple hundred miles away making funeral arrangements. That week was a strange combination of gladness and sadness, driving up from Branson to Kansas City for the funeral in the midst of wedding preparations.

Top Bottom