What's new

Remember when CUSTOMER SERVICE was common

Conpanies use to have live Operators directing incoming calls.

Last night I finally said enough with my favorite Fast Food Chicken Plasce, was on way to Club event. Stopped corder 3 piece and side, paid got drink cup for drink, soda machine was out of order I found out. Said manager please, and she was on errand and would be back shortly. Few minute later the order came, food was cold, wrong, and I asked for manager, she had not returned, so I ask for person in charge. Was told no one was in charge but lady who took order said if you are not happy, don't come back.

This is word we live in today, not the world l lived in or worked in. Doing some checking the owner of this fast food chicken is out of state, so no local ownership. He or his company own two franchises, over 600 locations nationwide, so I am sure he don't care if one place is floundering.

Thread title is awfully close to a racist dog whistle, especially as the post has nothing to do with phone support.

Well phone support is fair at best, most companies use what I call auto attendants.

You push a series of number, then finally get the department you want, only to get message. To leave a phone number, maybe you will get a call back. Maybe not.

I've never been treated like that at an in-person chain restaurant.

Maybe it how you approached it and are leaving some parts of the story out?

Best chain I frequent often that is alway great. In n Out Burger.

They are not a Franchise, all locations are company owned.

Simple menu, consistent food, alway clean, maybe their secret is staff make good wage for fast food industry, and is held to high standards.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Please don't be tossing out that sort of allegation in the public forum.

If you see an issue like that, the proper way to respond is to hit the "report post" button and let the moderators deal with it as discreetly as possible.

Since the allegation has already been made publicly, FWIW I don't see any racist tinge to anything in this thread. That does not preclude you from reporting the post and explaining your point of view there.

Well for many years I did contract work sometime a day, some time longer.

The people who hire me were the most important people. Why they paid my bills. My mission was simple treat them like they were important. Why without them I was nothing.

If they were happy with what I did they were repeat clients.

Today think a lot of people in the working world do not get. Without customer or clients the boss, or corporation can’t make payroll.

Maybe I am wrong, but the customer is important to any business.

True, the customer is important to any business or industry.

In my line of work, my customers are who most people try to avoid and hope they never have a run in with. I still show them respect and treat them as equals, so long as they do the same. The moment they start swearing at me, disrespecting me, making false accusations against me or the organization, I give them ONE chance to change their tone. They are advised (in person or on phone), if you talk like that again, swear at me, yell at me, one more time, we are done here.

Most will apologize and carry on a civilized conversations. The ones they don't, I walk away or hang up and go about my business.

Customer service goes both ways.

Or remember when gas stations where service stations.
They would ask if you wanted to fill it up.
Check your oil and clean the windshield...

We would like real money...

1707512762273.jpeg
1707512877268.jpeg

1707513112035.jpeg

BFX

Reactions: ctr
True, the customer is important to any business or industry.

In my line of work, my customers are who most people try to avoid and hope they never have a run in with. I still show them respect and treat them as equals, so long as they do the same. The moment they start swearing at me, disrespecting me, making false accusations against me or the organization, I give them ONE chance to change their tone. They are advised (in person or on phone), if you talk like that again, swear at me, yell at me, one more time, we are done here.

Most will apologize and carry on a civilized conversations. The ones they don't, I walk away or hang up and go about my business.

Customer service goes both ways.
This is the way. The customer is most definitely NOT always right.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Customer service hasn’t changed. For as far back as “customer service” was first coined there have always been instances of poor customer service. So to say “remember when….” Implies that customer service was better back in the day. That’s not true. You won’t get me to believe that. It’s the same. There has always been instances of terrible service. Always. The difference is now every Tom dick and harry has a means to express their displeasure to the masses, so millions of people can cry with them. Whereas umpteen years ago it was Betty telling Dorthy, Janice, and Roberta at their weekly tea party about the terrible store clerk that was rude to her while shopping for a new dress. And that’s where the story ended.

If you experience poor customer service by all means, tell folks about it. Tell whoever you want, however you want. But don’t imply that “back in the day” customer service was much better.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Customer service hasn’t changed. For as far back as “customer service” was first coined there have always been instances of poor customer service. So to say “remember when….” Implies that customer service was better back in the day. That’s not true. You won’t get me to believe that. It’s the same. There has always been instances of terrible service. Always. The difference is now every Tom dick and harry has a means to express their displeasure to the masses, so millions of people can cry with them. Whereas umpteen years ago it was Betty telling Dorthy, Janice, and Roberta at their weekly tea party about the terrible store clerk that was rude to her while shopping for a new dress. And that’s where the story ended.

If you experience poor customer service by all means, tell folks about it. Tell whoever you want, however you want. But don’t imply that “back in the day” customer service was much better.

About a 10 on the “customer service
Tension scale” my dear fellow……And I respectfully do not agree with your assessment.🍻

I've never been treated like that at an in-person chain restaurant.

Maybe it how you approached it and are leaving some parts of the story out?

First the Chicken place was Fast Food Joint, not real deal restaurant like waffle House, or Cracker Barrel. You observation about "approach" came from were magic 8 ball, or ESP?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As I have gotten older, I recognize that in some areas I have become MUCH more sentimental about many things that didn't phase me when I was younger.
Cruelty to animals and the defenseless for example.
I also recognize that I have become more crusty, grumpy and less patient with those who I feel are not doing the job that they are being paid to do.
I don't know that customer service has declined over the years or not, but I know that my tolerance of poor customer service has declined sharply.
But - that's on me, not the customer service rep.
I'm quite happy to go somewhere else if I think a given shop or restaurant isn't up to par, and quite frankly, I don't think the shops or restaurants that I cease to utilize care one single iota if I never come back.
Many would probably prefer I don't.
If their behavior is egregious enough, they will continue to bleed customers until they change or go out of business - but one or two grumpy old men aren't even a blip on their radar.

It irritates me that most companies do their best to conceal their customer service contact number or email. Their websites force you into automated FAQs which are rarely any use, and it requires persistence and genuine creativity to find the right sequence of clicks to actually uncover a contact number.

Ironically banks are the best because they print their customer service number on your bank card and bank statements.

Recall my first real job I actually go pay check on it was 62ish washing dishes in Italian Restaurant in Beautiful Burbank, CA. Lied about my age being 16 to get it, was question by waitress who son I went to school with. Story was when I can from another State to CA they dropped me two grades. Place was busy, it was successful. Because of Quality of Food, Quantity of Fool, Friar Price, and last Suer Service. Waitress with least time on job was there 7 years, many were their over 215, or 20 because it was good place to work, and make money.

Being dishwasher I saw the going on in kitchen, seldom did food come back because bad, wrong, or bad. Recall they even did Lobster Tail, Veal Dishes, Crab Legs, Prime Rib, and Steaks. v Kitchen staff also had been their forever.

I only worked Fri & Sat Night 6-10, got $1.25/Hr, and Dinner, as long as it was Italian food.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
According to my experience, many companies leave their phone number on their internet site and don't answer repeated calls. That always irritates me.
Another thing is that I hate when the people at some company take their time when I email or chat with them. I hate conversations that last forever.

Top Bottom