What's new

Recommend a watch

neognosis is right--quartz watches have no soul. How about a vintage automatic or mechanical?
I have had pretty good luck with vintage Elgin/Benrus/Croton/etc watches. Estate sales, ebay, thrift shops etc. Often get a nice watch
with some history for less than it would cost to have a watch cleaned, oiled and adjusted (CQA).

BTW--the cost of a COA is a consideration if you own a mechanical/automatic.
While purists will cringe, try a Chinese mechanical/automatic watch. You can get your feet wet for little $$ on ebay (entry level watches).

Citizen makes both dress and sport watches in their Eco-Drive models. They never require a battery and have splendid accuracy. They can be found on the internet @ $100.

Ron I

Got this on EBay after seeing it on a friend. $114 and free shipping. I did also see it for $99.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/311339215270?nav=SEARCH

I felt it a good cross between sporty, casual, and dressy.

Seiko SKA623

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434551875.662388.jpg

Seiko 5. Lots if suggestions up there, but some are beyond the specs the OP stated, and some are poor quality. I've worked on several, and the Seiko movements are no frills quality.

Bingo. If you're looking to buy your first mechanical, it's not possible to go wrong with a Seiko5. They are many people's (including my own) first foray into the mechanical watch world. Be aware, though, they are a gateway drug. You have been warned.

Under $100, I own several Kenneth Cole watches, not a watch for a connoisseur, but they work well and look great.

neognosis is right--quartz watches have no soul. How about a vintage automatic or mechanical?
I have had pretty good luck with vintage Elgin/Benrus/Croton/etc watches. Estate sales, ebay, thrift shops etc. Often get a nice watch
with some history for less than it would cost to have a watch cleaned, oiled and adjusted (CQA).

BTW--the cost of a COA is a consideration if you own a mechanical/automatic.
While purists will cringe, try a Chinese mechanical/automatic watch. You can get your feet wet for little $$ on ebay (entry level watches).

This is a great point. The COA cost is gonna be higher than a replacement battery. Be sure to keep that in mind.

Not sure if the op found a watch but the orient black mako is due for a lightning deal on amazon tomorrow at 12:30pm. I got mine for $100 on one of these deals.

You can find reliable seiko kinetics in that range...or a tad more. Ask for an amazon gift cert and throw 30 to 40 bucks of your own on it

I have Chinese automatic Eyki watch. It was approx $20 and advances a minute daily so not very accurate at all. It is a fun toy with see-through case and now am looking to buy a better automatic watch.

Top Bottom