What's new

Recommend a watch

My birthday is coming up and SWMBO asked what I wanted, and I've been needing a watch for a while now. I've been browsing online but nothing really seems to catch my eye. I'd prefer an automatic movement so that I don't have to worry about batteries, and the two of us are college kids without a lot to spend so could someone recommend a watch that fits the above description? Definitely under $100, preferably under $80. I know that is probably a difficult task, and I will go with a battery powered one if need be. For reference, I've been looking at the Seiko SNK805 and the Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Automatic, but the latter is over $100 and doesn't get the best reviews.

If eighty bucks is your watch budget you need a Quartz movement for reliable time keeping. An inexpensive automatic watch for less than one hundred dollars will lose several seconds of accuracy over a twenty four hour period. The inaccuracy just multiplies over days, weeks etc.

Last edited:
My birthday is coming up and SWMBO asked what I wanted, and I've been needing a watch for a while now. I've been browsing online but nothing really seems to catch my eye. I'd prefer an automatic movement so that I don't have to worry about batteries, and the two of us are college kids without a lot to spend so could someone recommend a watch that fits the above description? Definitely under $100, preferably under $80. I know that is probably a difficult task, and I will go with a battery powered one if need be. For reference, I've been looking at the Seiko SNK805 and the Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Automatic, but the latter is over $100 and doesn't get the best reviews.

All automatic movements are a bit of risks. Many of the Casio Edifice watches run 10 years on one battery even though they are analog. For example, this one: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-EF106SG...r=1-7&keywords=edifice&refinements=p_89:Casio
Many times mechanical watches break before that single battery has been running out.

That said, I was in the same situation with roughly the same budget last week. I did not go with a Casio as I really wanted an automatic mechanical watch. I did order a Vostok Amphibia. I am still waiting for my watch to come, but I think I made the most fun choice between the alternatives.

If eighty bucks is your watch budget you need a Quartz movement for reliable time keeping. An inexpensive automatic watch for less than one hundred dollars will lose several seconds of accuracy over a twenty four hour period. The inaccuracy just multiplies over days, weeks etc.

It depends on if you consider your watch to be something fun you take care of. It does not take long time to adjust the time in the morning when taking the watch.

So quartz is the safe boring alternative.
Mechanical movements the more fun but more risky alternative.

Go to EBay and search for a Bulova Precisionist. A Quartz watch with a sweeping second hand like an automatic plus incredible accuracy. Go to YouTube and watch the sweeping second hand in motion.

I would own far fewer watches if I had found the Seiko 5s sooner. I picked one up for around $50. Great watch, imo.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
At that price point, the Androids are stylish and many have Miyota movements. Possibly the Vestals, too.

AA

I hard on my stuff so I just have a g shock, it's not a pretty thing and watch people wI'll laugh at you but Iv put it through it's paces and it dose the job

How about a Vostock Amphibian? well prove automatic movements, many designs to choose from and you can customise the bezels now as well. I have two 'scuba dudes' and a hand wind Komanarskie. All are pretty good. In fact I have anoter amphibian coming my wy as well as a Megapolis.

the Seiko 5 series is a good watch. Look for daily deals on amazon too. I just got an Orient blue mako for $100 a couple weeks ago. they also had an orient ray for $85 last week. I have been really happy with my orient.

Seiko 5. Lots if suggestions up there, but some are beyond the specs the OP stated, and some are poor quality. I've worked on several, and the Seiko movements are no frills quality.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have 5 g shock solar and atomic watches. Never have to wind them or set the time. 1 was under $80, 3 were around $100 and the other was expensive. I wear them in formal situations and also skinning and gutting hogs and deer. They will last a lifetime.
marty

Do you need a watch with accuracy down to the second every day, or do you want something with soul?

I would recommend either the timex weekender if you want to go cheap and somewhat stylish and versatile, yet relatively accurate.

If you want a watch with it's own soul, you cannot beat a seiko 5 for the money. As has been said several times.

While not an automatic, you may check out the Citizen Eco-Drive line. They have some watches priced in your range either on Amazon or eBay and you wouldn't need a battery with them. Ive been extremely happy with the two I've gotten recently.

Top Bottom