What's new

Which Scotch to try next?

Oban - Talisker - Laphroaig is my Holy Trinity of Single Malt Scotches ... these cover the whole range of smokiness and peatiness and one or the other will fit the bill for every drinking situation.

Among the blends, have you tried Johnnie Walker Green? This is my favorite special-occasion drink at home, and if more bars served it, it would be all I ever drink when I go out.

But JW Black is much easier to find at bars, so that is my default drink. I don't even have to ask for it anymore at my regular spots, when they see me walk up to the bar, they immediately reach for that square bottle.

I didn't think too much of the JW Double Black ... it tasted OK at first, but it left a funny aftertaste in my mouth. The regular Black always burns clean, though. I can have fun and still be functional. It gets me pleasantly drunk quickly, and I sober up just as quickly. I've never had a hangover from it, either, no matter how much I've had to drink.

I really like Balvenie Doublewood, my son in law brought a bottle of Macallen Select Oak back from the UK that was like heaven in a bottle. Cardu is a nice single malt that is distilled where JW started blending his scotch. I got a taste of Octomore really really smokey.

I concur with Oban, Talisker and Laphroig, pretty much in that order.

For me, Oban is a bit overpriced, as are most of the Macallans. Good scotch, just can find (close to) comparable for far less.

Per the above, there are some very interesting Bourbons to consider as well.

If you go in for blends, I find Monkey Shoulder to be very nice, it rivals a few of the single malts you have listed in my opinion.

Im just getting into Scotch. Really have taken a liking to the Islay style. Just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 today(which Ive had before). I'd recommend trying the Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig QC or Ardbeg 10.

New to Badger and Blade, but I've always been a great fan of the Highland Park 18 year old Malt. Very complex with flavors of light grass (heather?), chocolate and a bit of honey.

I also love the Flora and Fauna Edition of Mortlach (16 years old) which is great if you are a fan of a big sherry finish. I understand that it has been hard to come bye though.

Top Bottom