What's new

Blood Thinners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay gentlemen I have a question? Are any of you guys on blood thinners and do you use a DE or straight razor? I have a co-worker who uses the dollar shave club because he got tired of the expensive Mach 3 turbo costs. I mention the DE razor once in a while just to talk about how I enjoy it and break it "old school" (which is odd because I am 25 and he is 54-55 years old so its a bit backwards) but he is on a blood thinner and just mentions how the DE razor is just too sharp for him being on blood thinners. He said the doctors told him to use an electric razor but those just cause too much irritation. He said that the dollar shave club blades don't really cause him to get cuts much. Just wondering what you guys on blood thinners do in your cases...

I wouldn't take that kind of advice from a forum :w00t:. Make sure you ask a doctor as everyone is different. What may be true may not be true for someone else. This takes YMMV to a new level :w00t:

Sounds like a load of LOL - blood thinners are not enough to make you "bleed out" from a shaving nick.

I am not quite sure he was implying "bleed out" compared to more excessive bleeding than someone not on blood thinners. Or shall I say the bleeding last longer was the impression I was getting from a cut with a cartridge razor. I was just curious if anyone on thinners used a DE or Straight and what precautions they used if any? Just curious I guess.

I was on a blood thinner for 18 months. When I nicked myself, it would bleed more (duh). I allowed an extra 5 minutes or so to stop it. Not a big deal..

I wouldn't take that kind of advice from a forum :w00t:. Make sure you ask a doctor as everyone is different. What may be true may not be true for someone else. This takes YMMV to a new level :w00t:

I agree as everyone is different. I am not really taking advice on shaving being on blood thinners as I am not the one on blood thinners. Just merely a question for some of my fellow B&B brothers. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be blood thinners as compared to does any medications you're on require you to exercise more caution as to if you weren't on medication? He said his doctor told him to use an electric and it wasn't doing anything but tearing up his face.

I was on a blood thinner for 18 months. When I nicked myself, it would bleed more (duh). I allowed an extra 5 minutes or so to stop it. Not a big deal..

I asked him if he had used a styptic pencil and he said yes but he doesn't have one anymore. Did you use a styptic pencil and did it help as compared to when you weren't on blood thinner?

No, what stopped the bleeding was direct pressure. Once in a while the cut would open again and I'd sport a face scab..

If the doctor said not to use blades, then he shouldn't use blades of any type. If I were him, I'd be looking for one of those wet & dry electrics that allow shaving after face prep. Some wet & dries even allow the use of foam.

If the doctor said not to use blades, then he shouldn't use blades of any type. If I were him, I'd be looking for one of those wet & dry electrics that allow shaving after face prep. Some wet & dries even allow the use of foam.

He seems to be satisfied with the cartridges from dollar shave club. He said the electric his wife got him was like $150.00 but I am not sure if it was a wet dry but the place his wife got it from said he could use it and if it doesn't work for him or he didn't like it then they could return it so they returned it because it wasn't meeting his needs. Sorry for the run on sentence.

Blood thinners don't actually thin the blood. They just adjust your clotting factor (as in - unwanted blood clots, or in my case - Deep Vein Trombosis...I've been on Warfarin for about 18 yrs now. My doctor told me the same thing about using and electric razor. I did for a couple of years but the irritation was annoying as hell. I have used the "multi-blade" razors which I find are hard to cut yourself with but don't like the cost, although I would get BBS or near shaves every time. I now use double-edge razor(s) and on the rare occasion that I do cut or nick myself, my styptic pencil is close at hand, It doess a good job stopping the ooze. Unless you are not well adjusted there is no danger of "bleeding out" from bladee shaving. Thats why we "blood thinner" users have to go in once a month for a check of our clotting factor (a reading of between 2 and 3 is fine). Anything above 3.5 is getting too "thin" (as people like to say).

As helpful and well-meaning as our membership is, an internet Forum is perhaps one of the worst places to ask for medical advice. Should your friend have questions, he should ask them of his medical professional.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom