What's new

Matthew Perry news

I am posting this thread separately to keep the RIP thread for Mathew Perry completely respectful. Not that this is inherently disrespectful.

In any event, the news in reporting that the coroner or whoever has determined that Matthew Perry died of the effects of ketamine, with drowning as a secondary cause. This really does seem bizarre. They are using ketamine as a treatment for depression in a controlled environment. Was MP self-medicating? He apparently had a general anesthetic level of it in his blood stream. Was Michael Jackson's doctor involved? Not the usual recreational drug for a grown man or in 2023. He was not a club kid in the '90s.

Sorry to be glib, but what an odd way to go out. Even if a suicide, I would think there were lots better and more likely drugs to use.

It’s not a total surprise, I think. It seems painkiller addiction is common in the US and not out of the ordinary for wealthy celebs. I suppose Hollywood celebs have always had access to doctors who will privately prescribe whatever they want - feeding their addictions. I’m sure there was an old Raymond Chandler novel about this exact thing, back in the day (and, oh, the irony - Chandler!). Matthew Perry seems to have had a lengthy struggle with alcohol and I suppose other substances.

Poor guy. But I guess when his death was announced many of us expected it would have been something like this.

I’m sure the police investigation will identify his doctor sooner or later.

Sounds like accidental overdose on a recreational celebrity prescribed drug or passed out from the drugs and ended up face down in a hot tub.

It's sad, but the reality is accidental OD's happen daily. I don't think any ME would consider this suicide or drowning.

Last edited:
Ketamine is used in medical settings as an anesthetic. If the user takes a strong enough dose, they don't have any control over their body. Sounds accidental, but who knows.

I saw an episode of "Drugs Inc" on National Geographic channel a few years ago about how many people are using Ketamine as a recreational drug. He probably passed out and drowned in his Jacuzzi.

Whatever the circumstances (misadventure from recreational use or therapy gone wrong), it’s terribly sad and cost us (another) talented life.

Top Bottom