What's new

Shaving while on blood thinners

Its been a while since I've posted. Back in 2018, I had open heart surgery. I was using a DE razor and loved it. But after the surgery, I stopped wet shaving. The reason: blood thinners and I would bleed something terrible. What advice would you give me about starting back up wet shaving? I really enjoyed it. Thanks for any help. I no longer am on blood thinner other than taking an aspirin daily. BTW, good to be back on the forums.

Its been a while since I've posted. Back in 2018, I had open heart surgery. I was using a DE razor and loved it. But after the surgery, I stopped wet shaving. The reason: blood thinners and I would bleed something terrible. What advice would you give me about starting back up wet shaving? I really enjoyed it. Thanks for any help. I no longer am on blood thinner other than taking an aspirin daily. BTW, good to be back on the forums.
Hello my dear friend.
I had open heart surgery in 2001 and have taken aspirin daily ever since. The only care I have is to avoid deep bleeding. If this happens, especially on the gums during dental treatment, I take 4 amoxicillins of 500mg each as per medical advice.

Other than that, I just try not to use too much pressure while shaving.

Have nice shaves!

Cheers!
❤️🪒

Welcome back and glad you're in better health! I'm not familiar with what precautions need to be taken while on aspirin, but I'd say having an alum block around to stop weepers and nicks might be useful.

Good luck and happy shaves.

Use a Gillette Guard cartridge (single blade) along with a traditional soap/cream and brush.

You get the benefits of traditional wet shave closeness and little to no chance of a cut, maybe a weeper if you have poor lather or hit a bump on your skin.

I would also talk to your doctor first.

Glad to hear you're in better health and welcome back to B&B and wet shaving. Plus 1 regarding the suggestion for having alum on hand to control weepers/nicks which are inevitable.

I might suggest dialing in the blade you use and the aggressiveness of your razor. I've a rather sensitive neck, get weepers pretty easily, hair grows in multiple directions and do not lean toward large gap agressive razors with a good deal of blade feel.

I've come to really appreciate my antique/vintage Gillette Techs for their mildness, paired with Perma-Sharp or Wizamet. For me, these blades are plenty sharp, offer nice smooth passes with zero tugging/drag and I feel well in control of my shaves.

I would also suggest using some sort of pre-shave under your lather, dialing in your lather so it provides good cushion and lastly, consider if you need to shave daily or not. I do not, often shaving only once/week: I've a very full beard so I can easily get away with this if I need to. The benefit to me is I've a good deal of growth that also provides some protection when I shave my neck.

I stubbornly chase BBS...I'd suggest not doing that. You'll end up with less weepers and cuts and have far less irritation.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome back, glad to hear your doing better.

I usually provide myself with 3 or 4 weepers (a dot of blood) a year, and anyone will tell you I'm no genius shaver. I have been shaving a while and have found a happy marriage between face/razor and blade - that makes it much easier. Finding the best razor angle and using as little pressure as possible are incredibly helpful. I don't believe that blood is a normal/required part of daily shaving. If you're getting frequent weepers you most probably need to change your technique, and possibly your razor/blade combination (maybe both).

Best of luck to you on your shaving journey.

Back in April I had a mini stroke and my heart doctor put me on clopidogrel and low dose asprin. The only difference between before and after starting my blood thinners is the occasional weeper I get bleeds slightly longer. Like @smudge said you won't bleed to death or at least I haven't yet.

I have the opposite problem: a chronic low platelet count, to the point where I've been hospitalized twice, and warned that if it happens again, I'll come out without a spleen. If you're still having major problems, you should probably talk to your doctor if you haven't already. Maybe your dosage is too high?

Back in '22, I spent two weeks in the hospital after breaking my hip. (Details not relevant and won't be provided.) For the first week, my attending insisted on prescribing blood thinners that I had to refuse to take every day. After a week, she turned me over to her associate who accepted the inevitable and canceled the order. I hope your experiences are better than mine and that you don't have to take the thinners much longer.

Hope you are doing better and continue to progress. I have been in a similar situation regarding blood thinners. The following has worked for me for the past several years:

1.Shower.
2. Wash face with Purity soap- leave on a thin layer.
This is my wife’s and I tried it by accident. Philosophy is manufacture.
3.Mitchell’s wool fat soap.
4.Bic single edge razor.
5.Two passes with the grain.

I have tried more soaps, creams and razors than I care to remember. This provides a close comfortable shave with no nicks .

Get a Hensen mild, shaves great and you’d have to work at cutting yourself.
I too have been taking blood thinners (Eliquis) for 18 years. No problems at all with bleeding. I use the Henson AL13 medium with a Derby Premium blade. Very smooth combination, almost never nick myself. The Henson AL 13 mild would be an excellent choice.

Never been a problem for me , I am on Clopidogrel
I just stick to 2 passes and try and use a pre shave oil for better lubrication especially on my neckline
I love adjustables so depending on how unfamiliar I am with a new blade , I will just dial it down to lower setting on my first shave

I even take Turmeric and black pepper capsules and Lions mane capsules , both of which are known for blood thinning properties and have never had a problem
One good tip I learned on this site is after a nick or cut , use a styptic pencil and apply HEAVY pressure for around 20 seconds, ie much heavier pressure than a person who isnt on thinners

If its still a problem by the time I apply my aftershave splash I find proraso cut get to be very good

Top Bottom