What's new

Mystic Water Shave Soap

Hi All,

I bought a couple soaps from Mystic Water Soaps recently. One was for my father in law and it has a great lime scent. I ordered the cedar and sage for myself, and they threw in a sample of the lime verbina? I think...... I have yet to try ithe sample, but it smells good too.

I have been using the cedar and sage for 3 days now. WOW is it ever nice. I have only used a few soaps, and my favorite has been proraso green up until now. I really like this Mystic Water Soap. The cedar and sage smells nice, but boy does it perform well. A 15 -20 second load and you can face lather for 3 passes. I am using my most aggressive razor this week, a red tip, and I usually get a little burn afterward with the Osage rub, but not with this soap. 3 days of irritation free shaves in a row now.

I am am truly impressed. I have some tabac on the way as well, but this stuff is less than half the price. I'm hooked! I'll be trying more of these for sure.

Have any any of you had a similar experience with this soap?

Regards,
Brian

I just got a shave stick of MW Jeff's Lavender a couple days ago. I love the smell. I've only used it for one shave and I got a lather that was too bubbly, thin, and did a disappearing act on my face. I've since read from the experience of others who had similar problems that I likely lathered with too much water.

I've been mostly using Mike's, which I find requires an extraordinary amount of water. I use a sopping brush with it and get fantastic lathers. MW is obviously a different animal. I'm betting that MW works much better tomorrow, when I plan to start with more product and a drier brush.

'Cedar & Sage' was my first Mystic Water soap. It impressed me enough that I had to try a few more, and then a few more, and then ... I hope you have plenty of shelf space Brian - it is that good. Actually, if your wife discovers it and enjoys 'borrowing' it as much as my wife does, plenty of shelf space may not be enough.

I see one major problem with Mystic Water:mad3: Standing and staring at each one and not being able to decide which one because they are ALL so good!:thumbup:

... I have been using the cedar and sage for 3 days now. WOW is it ever nice. I have only used a few soaps, and my favorite has been proraso green up until now. I really like this Mystic Water Soap. The cedar and sage smells nice, but boy does it perform well...
I too evaluate shaving equipment by how they perform.

After quite a lot of years using different soaps I have settled on the Mystic Water soaps as my go to. The performance for me is better than any soap I have tried, mainly because of the very nice post shave feeling. The cushion and glide is at least on par with anything I have tried. What really grows on me are the scents - they are divine!

I use Michelle's soaps both as pucks and sticks. Remarkably little water is required even though I "load it like I hate it". These soaps are a major part of my adventure in achieving 128 shaves from a single blade; http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/448783-128-shaves-on-a-NOS-Wilkinson-blade .

Last edited by a moderator:
I see one major problem with Mystic Water:mad3: Standing and staring at each one and not being able to decide which one because they are ALL so good!:thumbup:
Looks like I'll need more room in the bathroom for soaps now.......

I just got a shave stick of MW Jeff's Lavender a couple days ago. I love the smell. I've only used it for one shave and I got a lather that was too bubbly, thin, and did a disappearing act on my face. I've since read from the experience of others who had similar problems that I likely lathered with too much water.

I've been mostly using Mike's, which I find requires an extraordinary amount of water. I use a sopping brush with it and get fantastic lathers. MW is obviously a different animal. I'm betting that MW works much better tomorrow, when I plan to start with more product and a drier brush.
I used very little water. I loaded just as I would with proraso. I also use a cheap, big boar brush with a lot of backbone. An omega 48 I think. It loads fast with any soap I have used. I bloom the soap for just seconds and squeeze out the brush. I start with a wet face and dip brush in the tap a couple times if it starts feeling dry.

My first order from Michelle (eyebright in these parts) was her shampoo bars and they are fantastic. She threw in a couple of requested samples and I like her version of Barbershop. Bay Rum is next up. Highly recommended.

I love MW soap. In my top 3 for sure. My only problem, is I have too much other stuff in my den to justify buying any more MW!

Last edited:
I had the hardest time lathering WM soaps UNTIL I used a synthetic brush. I almost gave up because I couldn't get my boar or badger brushes to work. It was definitely a user error on my part but the synthetics just made it so easy for me. The scents are just awesome as well. Poggio dei Pini is probably my new fav.

Now I love them and will be ordering more!

-Josh

I tried again this morning with the Jeff's Lavender shave stick, which for me has an awesome scent. This time I loaded like crazy, until I almost had a paste on much of my face. Then I worked the lather with my damp TGN badger, adding water just a bit at a time until the paste started getting some sheen and viscosity to it.

The lather was pretty good, still a bit unstable, breaking down a bit by the second pass. But despite that, the slickness was superb. After-shave feel is excellent, perhaps one of the best. And did I mention the scent? Fantastic herbal, grassy version of lavender.

I'm going to try lathering with reverse osmosis water, which I keep on hand for a saltwater aquarium. The hardness in my water may be causing lathering issues. And I'm sure my technique can be refined further.

I'm really surprised at my initial problem because I have a lot of soaps -- Mikes, B&M, Arko, Speick, Palmolive, LaToja, etc. and I've had zero problems with lather stability. But I'm pretty sure I will get MW dialed in. In fact, today's lather was not bad at all. I would use it based on scent and slickness alone.

'Cedar & Sage' was my first Mystic Water soap. It impressed me enough that I had to try a few more, and then a few more, and then ... I hope you have plenty of shelf space Brian - it is that good. Actually, if your wife discovers it and enjoys 'borrowing' it as much as my wife does, plenty of shelf space may not be enough.
She is working through my old cartridges and cans of edge. I'm not looking forward to the day she figures out how much better my stuff is.......but I do know its coming...😖

She is working through my old cartridges and cans of edge. I'm not looking forward to the day she figures out how much better my stuff is.......but I do know its coming...
Gents!
The problem is not SWMBO - it's the combination of friends visiting and the son moving out of the house.

Just a word of advice from real life experience: keep the stuff from Mystic Water in the deep dungeon or it will mysteriously disappear... :laugh:

I tried again this morning with the Jeff's Lavender shave stick, which for me has an awesome scent. This time I loaded like crazy, until I almost had a paste on much of my face. Then I worked the lather with my damp TGN badger, adding water just a bit at a time until the paste started getting some sheen and viscosity to it.

The lather was pretty good, still a bit unstable, breaking down a bit by the second pass. But despite that, the slickness was superb. After-shave feel is excellent, perhaps one of the best. And did I mention the scent? Fantastic herbal, grassy version of lavender.

I'm going to try lathering with reverse osmosis water, which I keep on hand for a saltwater aquarium. The hardness in my water may be causing lathering issues. And I'm sure my technique can be refined further.

I'm really surprised at my initial problem because I have a lot of soaps -- Mikes, B&M, Arko, Speick, Palmolive, LaToja, etc. and I've had zero problems with lather stability. But I'm pretty sure I will get MW dialed in. In fact, today's lather was not bad at all. I would use it based on scent and slickness alone.
I'm glad you're getting it dialed in. I also had similar problems. I pm'ed Celestino and he gave me some tips. I seem to have it dialed in now. I also have very hard water. My tips would be load like crazy and add water very very slowly. MW will take a lot more working, and less water. It will not lather easily like coconut oil based soaps. I use a TGN knot and bowl lather for a long time between adding drops of water. Now I get the same results from my tap water as my RO/ distilled, etc water (I've tried them all). It didn't make much difference. The really working it in the bowl was the key for me. Good luck .

I've only tried 3 samples so far. I will get a puck of the Bay Rum once the sample is used up.

MW was the 1st shave soap I ever used (I've only used a handful of brands so far.)

I just ordered the Lime to round out an order to get free shipping. I wanted the Bay Rum but that company was out of stock.

Top Bottom