What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Mega Review. Add your experiences here.

So I have been an exclusive synthetic brush user for a little while now. I know synthetics have been getting a lot of talk lately and in the past have been getting a lot of negative talk. A lot of info found in searches is out of date and may give false impressions on what to expect when getting a synthetic. I am posting my experiences here with the brushes I have used and ask others to give their input on the brushes they have used so people can decide which synthetic is best for them. The worst thing would be someone buys a synthetic that is so cheap or wrong for them that they give all synthetics a bad name.

The point of this thread is not necessarily to convince people to use a synthetic but some basic info on the pros and cons can be...

The Good:
  • No animal smell when the brush is new.
  • No break in time before you see the full performance of the brush.
  • No shedding (or very very little if they happen to come unglued).
  • No breaking hairs from being brittle or if you are too rough.
  • No soaking needed like natural hair brushes.
  • Lather rinses off of fibers faster and easier for quicker clean up.
  • Fast drying time. Rinse, a couple of shakes and flicks and its 99% dry.
  • Makes lather very fast.
  • Very consistent lathers. The brush always behaves the same.
  • Lasts longer than natural hair. Fibers don't absorb soap/lather/water like natural hair so they don't really deteriorate over time.
  • Do not need to be shampooed or cleaned often as the fibers don't absorb soap.
  • Even the most expensive synthetic is nowhere near the price of the expensive badgers.
  • Not made with animal products if that is something you care about.

The Bad:
  • Small learning curve if you have been using natural hair brushes for a long time.
  • Splay characteristics are different than natural hair.
  • Some of them fling lather while using.
  • Less heat retention (If that is something you look for although many do not mind that difference. For example scuttle shavers, cold water shavers, shaving in the summer etc.).
  • Less water holding ability. Since the fibers don't absorb water the brush doesn't hold as much water as a badger. If you try and keep it soaked and then lather, it will all fall out. Generally you start with a dryer brush and add water as you go. Slightly different technique than natural brushes so you need to learn that.
  • It's "different". Just like badger, boar, and horse feel different. A synthetic is different too but for some reason gets a bad rap because it is a synthetic.
  • It's not as old school. (technology is a great thing though!).

Just like with natural hair brushes there are floppy synthetics and stiff synthetics. Small knots, large knots, high loft, low loft, different handles and different hair colors. I think anyone can find a synthetic with the properties they like and this is why I am making this thread.

proxy.php

From Left to Right:
Omega S Brush S10065
Omega Hi-Brush 0146206
The Grooming Co
Plisson
Edwin Jagger STF Size Large
Edwin Jagger STF Size XL
Envy Shave
Whipped Dog
The Golden Nib

Now onto the reviews...

Last edited:
Omega S Brush S10065
Price: Around $7 to $10
Buy at Maggards with a blue or red handle
Buy at Italian Barber with a blue or red handle

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 24.5 mm
Loft: 53 mm
Handle Height: 49.5 mm
Total Height: 102.5 mm
Shape: Fan

Review:

The brush is supposed to be a synthetic version of the popular Omega Boar Model 10065 or 10066. It has the same handle and undyed fibers so they look very similar. The handle on the synthetic however is labeled S-brush and the model numbers start with an S to signify that. I think it is a great looking brush. The handle is very comfortable to hold and gives a secure grip. The handle is hollow so a little light/cheap feeling but still nice. In use the brush is overall really amazing especially given the price. It has a very nice natural splay, backbone and density. It's a perfect all around size and makes a great lather. Can be used either bowl lathering or face lathering with no issues. May lean towards a really nice face lathering brush but is so great at everything. The only downside is this brush is the least soft of all the synthetics. Every now and then you get that poke or scratch feeling similar to a newer boar. It mimics the Omega boar very well. I would say this brush is ideal for any boar lover out there and for the price it really can not be beat. Would also make a great first brush for any new wetshaver. It does everything near flawless but for me the softness is just not there.

Omega Hi-Brush 0146206
Price: Around $20
Buy at Maggards with different handle options

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 24 mm
Loft: 58.5 mm
Handle Height: 49.5 mm
Total Height: 108 mm
Shape: Bulb

Review:

The brush is a synthetic that I am assuming should mimic a badger given the 3 color dyes fibers. It has the same handle as the S brush previously. The handle on this synthetic however is labeled Hi-brush. A nice looking brush but I am not too much of a fan of having dyed badger look alike fibers. The handle is very comfortable to hold and gives a secure grip. I believe this handle is also hollow however it is heavier then the S brush giving a more quality feel. In use the brush is overall just okay for me. The tips are very soft however the splay is probably the worst out of the group. The fibers like to bunch together and stay a little pointy instead of fanning out and staying that way. This gives the impression of a firm backbone but once you break through that the backbone is not that much and it lacks a little density. It still makes a great lather and is very soft. Can be used either bowl lathering or face lathering but due to the splay I would say leans towards bowl lathering. The downside to this brush is the poor splay. It is really nice otherwise. Great handle, looks and softness. I would say this brush is good for a bowl latherer or someone who uses painting strokes more than circular motions. Also a very reasonable price.

Plisson
Price: $30 at a L'Ocittane Store however may be hard to find locally
Also available for more money with different handles from Plisson.

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 22.5 mm
Loft: 54 mm
Handle Height: 49 mm
Total Height: 103 mm
Shape: Hybrid

Review:

The infamous Plisson that has probably had more talked about it then any brush. The brush has yellowish fibers with a brown wooden handle. It is not trying to mimic any other type of natural hair and I like that. Many have reported issues with the handles bubbling, flaking or the knots falling out. Many do not mind as they can then transplant this knot into a custom handle. The brush is available with acetate and other handles but they are not available locally and are much more money. The stock handle shape is nice. It is light but still gives off a nice feel and doesn't feel too cheap. An elegant looking brush with the brown earth tones. In use the brush is very nice but pretty specific. The tips are the softest of the bunch and hold water and lather the best by far. They have the unique ability to hold the lather and water better than most synthetics. The splay is very natural but the backbone is very very low. The lowest backbone in the group. Can be used either bowl lathering or face lathering but due to the lack of backbone I would say leans towards bowl lathering. The brush is amazingly soft and luxurious but has next to no backbone. I would say this brush is good for a bowl latherer or someone who really likes the ultimate is softness. The reviews on this brush are all very good and many absolutely find this their ideal brush. As long as you don't mind the lack of backbone this is one of the tops. Also a very reasonable price if you can find it locally. Many do pay the extra to get the nicer handles.

The Grooming Company
Price: $55 in a wide assortment of handle colors from Bullgoose

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 27 mm
Loft: 53 mm
Handle Height: 40.5 mm
Total Height: 93.5 mm

Review:

The Grooming Company brush is the response to some people absolutely loving the Plisson but not liking how little backbone it has and the poor quality wood handle. It is the same fibers as the Plisson with a wider knot and shorter loft in an acrylic handle. While they tried to address the issues I think they went a little too far. The loft is very low and the handle is small. In use it feels very small compared to what you would think a 27mm knot would feel like. It feels smaller than any other brush here. Some have tried increasing the loft of this brush in a new handle but there is really not much room to work with there. The handle is small but definitely still manageable. The brush is light but only because it is very small so it doesn't feel too cheap. In use the brush is very nice but also pretty specific. The tips are the softest of the bunch like the Plisson since they should be the same and holds water and lather the best. The splay is good but the really short loft gives a high backbone. The brush is most suited to face lathering. I would say this brush is best for an exclusive face latherer who like some backbone and doesn't mind a smaller feeling and actually smaller handled brush.

Last edited:
Edwin Jagger STF (Silvertip Fiber) Size XL
Price: $82 at Bullgoose

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 25 mm
Loft: 57.5 mm
Handle Height: 52 mm
Total Height: 109.5 mm
Shape: Hybrid/Fan

Review:

Another highly talked about brush that is many peoples absolute favorite. The brush has fibers dyed like 3 band badger with a black handle. The handle is large, heavy and overall screams luxury and quality. The shape is comfortable as well and gives a pretty secure grip. In use the brush is great. The fibers are very soft. This brush has nice backbone and splay characteristics. Can be used either bowl lathering or face lathering with no issues. The brush is super soft and luxurious with nice backbone. It really emulates a high end badger nicely. It can do everything and doesn't necessarily lean towards bowl or face lathering. The only complaint I could see with this brush is it is very large feeling. A little cumbersome in small soap jars, can lather your whole face while barely moving it and does require a bit of lather to fill the whole brush. These fibers also fling lather a little bit around the bathroom. This is also one of the most expensive brushes here. however it replicates a high end badger amazingly and is many peoples exclusive brush it is that nice.

Edwin Jagger STF (Silvertip Fiber) Size L
Price: $55 at Bullgoose

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 22 mm
Loft: 55 mm
Handle Height: 50 mm
Total Height: 105 mm
Shape: Hybrid/Fan

Review:

Another highly talked about brush. Some feel the Edwin Jagger XL is a little too big so they turn to this brush. The brush has fibers dyed like 3 band badger with a black handle. The handle is large, heavy and overall high quality. The shape is comfortable as well and gives a pretty secure grip. In use the brush is ok. The fibers are very soft. This brush has higher backbone then the XL and slightly worse splay characteristics. It feels much much smaller then the XL. I think it is too big of a gap between these two brushes. Most people who buy both prefer the XL more than the L. It can be used either bowl lathering or face lathering with no issues. The brush is super soft and luxurious but the backbone feels slightly unnatural. This brush also flings lather around more than the others.

The Golden Nib
Price: $13.95 KNOT ONLY at The Golden Nib

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 25 mm
Loft: 56 mm
Total Height: 106 mm

Review:

Not too much talked about this knot. It is used in the brush restoring forum sometimes but probably isn't all that common overall. I bought it because personally I think the white fibers with the blackish tips are the nicest looking synthetic colors out there and it was very cheap. The handle is also from The Golden Nib. I bought both and just glued the knot in myself. The brush fibers on this are slightly different then all the others. They are thicker/courser and squiggly in shape. I guess this could be considered a gen 3 brush or older style fiber? In use the brush is actually very nice. It has good splay and face feel with high backbone and scrubbiness. Good for face or bowl lathering. Probably leans more to face lathering with the high backbone. For the price I think it is a great knot however it is not nearly as soft as the others. Although not as soft it still doesn't bother my face like the Omega S brush did. If you like to really scrub your face but not irritate it this is a great brush. Also great to restore any old brushes and such but it is a cheaper feeling knot.

Whipped Dog
$18 from the Whipped Dog for Knot Only
$22 SHIPPED for complete brush from Whipped Dog with many handle colors

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 26 mm

Review:

Many have bought Whipped Dog brushes over the years but it seems that just recently he got a new style of synthetic brushes now. They are a cream/white base with blackish grey tip synthetic knot. Color is slightly yellower than the TGN knot. His handle comes in a wide variety of colors and feel quality. The shape is not my ideal preference but it does work very well. Now onto the knot. The knot is amazing. It has 95% of the softness of a Plisson, slightly more backbone, great natural splay and the size is perfect for me. I really really like this knot. I think it does everything right. It is great face lathering, bowl lathering, loading soaps, creams, applying it to your face, holding enough lather for 3 passes, etc... Maybe some would prefer slightly more backbone but you could always set it 1mm or 2mm deeper to achieve that. Also for the price I really do not think anything can touch it. $22 Shipped for the knot and handle assembled is really unbelievable. This has been my go to brush for the last couple of weeks or so. I plan to buy this knot and get it set in a custom handle so I can have the best of everything. I think this is a must try for everyone.

Envy Shave
$13.99 for the knot from the Etsy Store SavingShavings
This is from Envy Shave also known as SavingShavings on Etsy and Nathan Clark on Facebook. He sells the knots on his Etsy store but he also makes custom handles as well for a full brush. The knot is known as the Ubersoft from him. He was an absolute pleasure to work with and answered all my questions right away.

proxy.php

Dimensions:
Knot Diameter: 24 mm

Review:

This knot appears to be the same as The Whipped Dog fibers. In use it feels exactly the same as well. I ordered a 24mm from both Envy Shave and The Whipped Dog. Mounted in the handle the Whipped Dog measures larger at 26mm while the Envy Shave does measure 24mm. Not sure what is causing the difference but all the great things I said about The Whipped Dog knot apply to this knot aswell. Great at everything. Envy Shave is a great option if you want this knot in a custom handle or just want to buy the knot alone.

Last edited:
Quick Summary:

Omega S Brush S10065 - BUY for great replica of a boar for an amazing price.

Omega Hi-Brush 0146206 - PASS due to lack of natural splay characteristics.

The Grooming Co - PASS due to small face feel and firm backbone.

Plisson - BUY due to amazing luxurious softness and fiber quality.

Edwin Jagger STF Size Large - PASS due to small size and splay characteristics.

Edwin Jagger STF Size XL - BUY for a great replica of large luxurious badger brush.

Envy Shave - BUY for the best all around brush.

Whipped Dog - BUY for the best all around brush.

The Golden Nib - PASS Good overall knot but better for the money out there.

Last edited:
Any questions feel free to ask. It is hard to cover everything on 9 different brushes. Thanks and I hope it helps people out.

Thanks for your very nice review.
I had Muhle synthetic M before, but I did not keep it finally.
I think Muhle synthetic is quite similar to that of EJ.
When face-lathering, I found Muhle synthetic usually flop around.
(I mean it splayed very unnaturally.)
Do EJ synthetic (L or XL) or WD synthetic flop around when face-lathering?
Besides, does WD synthetic have a knot with 26mm diameter?
(In WD website, there are only four sizes: 20, 22, 24, 30mm.)
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
A very nice review. I have a 20 mm knot synth brush with a walnut handle that is sold from The Superior Shave. It is great for loading from a shave soap stick during travel, although I wish the handle were plastic. Fibers there are like Muehle's "Silvertip Fibre," or perhaps a little more austere. Other synth brushes I have are the Muehle 21 mm and 23 mm Silvertip Fibre brushes. These are really nice IMO, similar to silvertip badger hair, but a bit pricey. The 21 mm is a great all-around brush, hard soaps, creams, face-lathering, bowl-lathering, whatever. The 23 mm is perhaps best for bowl-lathering with creams. While I like these, one thing that is always missing is that merging of soap with bristle due to absorption by the natural hair. It is also a pity, as you mention, that the synth brush makers are locked into imitating the natural brush patterning; here they could be exploring other color options.

Last edited:
I held out as long as I could for Italian Barber to get the S-Brush, and then after finally putting an order into Maggard's, he then gets them and under less then a week later! Oh well, it's on the way now :) Love the Plisson, but I think so far my favorite yet, without a go at the S-Brush yet is the EJ, but I have mine in 19mm. Excellent brush.

Thanks for your very nice review.
I had Muhle synthetic M before, but I did not keep it finally.
I think Muhle synthetic is quite similar to that of EJ.
When face-lathering, I found Muhle synthetic usually flop around.
(I mean it splayed very unnaturally.)
Do EJ synthetic (L or XL) or WD synthetic flop around when face-lathering?
Besides, does WD synthetic have a knot with 26mm diameter?
(In WD website, there are only four sizes: 20, 22, 24, 30mm.)
Thanks a lot.

Yes the Muhle and Edwin Jagger should be the same fibers with different handles. I found the Large size to have a slightly unnatural splay probably similar to your size Medium. The XL on the other hand has a natural splaying ability much better than the large. Even better with splaying is the Whipped Dog brush. Whipped Dog does not have a 26mm brush. I purchased the 24mm knot. At the point right above the handle it measures 26mm. The knot plug inside the handle probably measures 24mm.

A very nice review. I have a 20 mm knot synth brush with a walnut handle that is sold from The Superior Shave. It is great for loading from a shave soap stick during travel, although I wish the handle were plastic. Fibers there are like Muehle's "Silvertip Fibre," or perhaps a little more austere. Other synth brushes I have are the Muehle 21 mm and 23 mm Silvertip Fibre brushes. These are really nice IMO, similar to silvertip badger hair, but a bit pricey. The 21 mm is a great all-around brush, hard soaps, creams, face-lathering, bowl-lathering, whatever. The 23 mm is perhaps best for bowl-lathering with creams. While I like these, one thing that is always missing is that merging of soap with bristle due to absorption by the natural hair. It is also a pity, as you mention, that the synth brush makers are locked into imitating the natural brush patterning; here they could be exploring other color options.

I have not used the 21mm but do you find it splays better than the 23mm? Based off of photos alone it appears it might. I also agree that the lather never absorbs into the fiber like a natural hair brush which does give a different feel and performance.

Wow! That is an exhaustive review! It seems like you like your synthetics! :001_smile

Synthetics only for me! I have used many many boars in the past and a couple of badgers. The main reason for the switch for me was no need to soak and the natural hairs seemed to get brittle or gunked up too easily. I have very soft water so it is hard to rinse the brush quickly and get all the soap out.

I held out as long as I could for Italian Barber to get the S-Brush, and then after finally putting an order into Maggard's, he then gets them and under less then a week later! Oh well, it's on the way now :) Love the Plisson, but I think so far my favorite yet, without a go at the S-Brush yet is the EJ, but I have mine in 19mm. Excellent brush.

The S brush is really really good especially considering the price. It is one of the few brushes out there that have such natural splay.

I'll bite...

Shea Moisture (2012) - $8
Black plastic handle, white bristles with dark tips, approx 20mm x 55mm.
Lots of backbone and somewhat scratchy tips with poor water/heat retention and difficult to splay. A terrible brush in every way.

Whipped Dog (2013) - $20
Black resin handle, white bristles with dark tips, 20mm x 50mm.
Strong backbone with slightly scratchy tips, poor water/heat retention, clumped together when wet and difficult to splay. A bad brush and not recommended.

Muhle STF v2 - $40-75
Resin handle, light bristles with a dark band, 19-23mm x 48-55mm.
Strong backbone, very soft tips, mediocre water/heat retention, clumps slightly when wet, requires moderate force to splay. A decent brush with a learning curve that mixes lather well but is a bit stiff.

Plisson (2014) - $30-50
Wood handle, tan bristles with dark tips, 22mm x 55mm.
Soft backbone, mostly soft tips but with a mild scratch, good water/heat retention, resists clumping when wet, easy to splay. A good brush that mixes lather extremely well and paints on easily, but the mild scratch bothers me to the point I never use it.

I pretty much moved on from synthetics. If Muhle can release a new version of their brush with less backbone and better splay or if Plisson can release a new version of their brush that eliminates the scratchy tips, I'll check those out.

I'll bite...

Shea Moisture (2012) - $8
Black plastic handle, white bristles with dark tips, approx 20mm x 55mm.
Lots of backbone and somewhat scratchy tips with poor water/heat retention and difficult to splay. A terrible brush in every way.

Whipped Dog (2013) - $20
Black resin handle, white bristles with dark tips, 20mm x 50mm.
Strong backbone with slightly scratchy tips, poor water/heat retention, clumped together when wet and difficult to splay. A bad brush and not recommended.

Muhle STF v2 - $40-75
Resin handle, light bristles with a dark band, 19-23mm x 48-55mm.
Strong backbone, very soft tips, mediocre water/heat retention, clumps slightly when wet, requires moderate force to splay. A decent brush with a learning curve that mixes lather well but is a bit stiff.

Plisson (2014) - $30-50
Wood handle, tan bristles with dark tips, 22mm x 55mm.
Soft backbone, mostly soft tips but with a mild scratch, good water/heat retention, resists clumping when wet, easy to splay. A good brush that mixes lather extremely well and paints on easily, but the mild scratch bothers me to the point I never use it.

I pretty much moved on from synthetics. If Muhle can release a new version of their brush with less backbone and better splay or if Plisson can release a new version of their brush that eliminates the scratchy tips, I'll check those out.

Which size Muhle did you use? Also I have never heard anyone say they had scratchy tips on a Plisson but synthetics aren't for everyone.

I've had a 19mm, two 21mm, two 23mm, and a custom 25mm with a 55mm loft. For the Plisson, I have two of them (older and newer L'Occitane style). There's definitely a very mild irritation, not a sharp prickle like cheap badger, but the same feeling on a much smaller scale.

Forgot I also had a TGN 24mm that was essentially the same as the Muhle but with a massive glue bump in it.

I must be one of the few who actually likes the Edwin Jagger 23mm. It is large enough for me, and I think it has the right amount of splay. I face lather exclusively, and usually do two passes.

That being said, the 24mm WD synthetic (2015) is a top brush indeed. Much better than the older WD synthetic knots. I hope Larry keeps using this supplier!

Thanks for the extensive review; very informative!

Great review, Jinx! Having someone go into that much detail is really helpful for those of us trying to decide between brushes.

Like you, I'm totally sold on the current WD. It's pretty much outstanding in every way for me. But unlike you, I love how cheap this brush is! I've never been one for top tier shaving gear, so to get this kind of quality for a paltry $22 is an unbeatable deal.

I have not used the 21mm but do you find it splays better than the 23mm? Based off of photos alone it appears it might. I also agree that the lather never absorbs into the fiber like a natural hair brush which does give a different feel and performance.

If, by splay, you mean how the tips spread over a hard soap, the 21 mm seems to do well from my experience. I haven't made a comparison with the 23 mm as I normally reserve larger brushes for creams. Only problem is the water run off factor at the start, but one gets used to that with experience. And the 21 mm Muehle is less of a soap hog than my Vie-Long 20 mm "super badger" for example. Also, fwiw, my Muehle knots are v1 Silvertip Fibre.

Last edited:
Very good thread Jinx. I'm mainly a synthetic user. Favorite brush is the original HIS brush. Oscar11 helped me out with a new handle and set the loft to 55m. Outstanding brush for me!! here is my line up of brushes from my most preferred brush on the left to least on the right.
from left to right the knots are HIS, Wolf Whiskers Plisson type knot, Standard loft original HIS, another WW Plisson type knot, Aremor Plisson type knot, Muhle STF v2 25mm, HIS, TGN 3 band, HIS, Whipped Dog, HIS, Simpson Chubby.

$IMG_20150423_213501[1].jpg

Thankls for the great reviews! I have been considering ordering another brush from Larry at WD but couldnt decide on what to get. I think you have just made my decision. Thanks for helping me decide.

What an awesome review. I only have one synthetic (Muhle 21), which I love, and want to get another. I checked out EnvyShave and PM'd the guy. Wow, he has some awesome handles. Thanks a ton for the great review and the tip!

Top Bottom