What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Mega Review. Add your experiences here.

I only have brushes that I have restored. Therefore, when I decided to try a synthetic for a travel brush I used a TGN synthetic. It has been an adequate brush and I am happy with how quickly it dries. When I travel I usually use a shave stick and I have wished that the brush would hold slightly more lather. I was under the impression this was just the characteristics of synthetics.

After this review I am thinking I need to give them another shot (after I finish my restraints). I am especially intrigued by the Omega S and the WD. I especially like that I could get a WD to put in my own handles.

Again thanks for the excellent and very thorough reviews.

Great reviews and contributions from members here!

I got a version of an omega synthetic a year ago, (a generation before Omega released these Hi-brush] which has a really springy backbone. Really hard to splay and clumped together when wet.

Eyeing the whippeddog but I am confused by 2 different impressions of the brush:

...The knot is amazing. It has 95% of the softness of a Plisson, slightly more backbone, great natural splay and the size is perfect for me...

Strong backbone with slightly scratchy tips, poor water/heat retention, clumped together when wet and difficult to splay. A bad brush and not recommended.

Are we talking about the same version?

Great reviews and contributions from members here!

I got a version of an omega synthetic a year ago, (a generation before Omega released these Hi-brush] which has a really springy backbone. Really hard to splay and clumped together when wet.

Eyeing the whippeddog but I am confused by 2 different impressions of the brush:

Are we talking about the same version?
No that is the older version. He put 2013 in parenthesis. I think the new whipped dog knot is new within only a couple of months.

Jinx...I want to thank you again for turning me on to Nathan Clark on Etsy. His store is called SavingShavings. He was really nice to work with, and answered all my questions. I recommend that everyone check him out and look at his gallery. There are an absolute TON to look at, in about every style imaginable. He does amazing pieces both in wood and resin. I have always shied away from wooden handles, but his work was just too neat to ignore. I ended up ordering a synth in 28 mm set at 55. A pic of the handle is below. It may vary a bit, as I asked him to make it as he thought best for the size of the knot, but I loved that wood grain.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 316
Btw what's the difference between the pro omega s 10049, & the reviewed 10065- just the Shape of The handles? The brushes themselves are otherwise the same?

Wait nm my boar brush already does this, & I haven't ever noticed until now, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it in a synthetic either.

It's different. You'll have a better understanding if you have ever used a Chinese writing brush. Once soaked with ink, the brush clumps together to allow you to write with the tips. You can't get it to splay - it rather bends ;)

Boar clumps but splay easily. My synthetic clumps and with the springy hair, it takes some maneuvering and pressure to get it to splay.

Btw what's the difference between the pro omega s 10049, & the reviewed 10065- just the Shape of The handles? The brushes themselves are otherwise the same?

Both the knot and the loft are different. 49 is bigger. 65 is around 24/55mm and 49 is around 26/62mm

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This is a great review. I am a very frequent traveler and was drawn to synthetics due to the easy drying, no odor issues, and the other benefits mentioned. I started out about 2 months ago with an Omega Syntex that was recommended on a thread about good inexpensive brushes. I bought it to use for traveling. It was not good at all. And as the original post mentioned, it almost turned me off to synthetics forever. BUT I posted my findings with the Syntex on here, and some really great guys posted a bunch of suggestions, which I took very seriously. Now I have three very different and very awesome synths!

First I got a L'Occitane Plisson. Found it by change walking through Newark Airport. Saw a L'Occitane, and got luck. Great brush. Super soft. Amazingly luxurious face feel. But as mentioned, no backbone. Still gives me a great face or bowl lather despite the lack of backbone. But the softness is insane. I have a Duke 3 in Best, and it rivals that in the softness department.

Then I got a Muhle Vivo in the latest Black Fibre. Wow. Another amazingly soft and luxurious brush. Crazy soft. But this one has a bit of backbone, and make a wonderful lather. The star of the Vivo show is the handle. It is a work of precision engineering. It is super heavy, but incredibly well balanced. It feels substantial in the hand, but is not too big. And it has wonderful face feel. The only drawback with the Vivo thus far is that is doesnt seem to hold water any where nearly as well as a natural. But everything else about the brush is so wonderful, that it still earns great marks from me. Its certainly not a travel brush. But I am glad I got it for my shave den! Looking forward to many years with my Muhle.

Lastly, I read a recommendation on the Kent Infinity Silvertex. It was mega cheap. And it looks great. Has that old English look about it, like a Simpson, etc. It is a bit of a smaller brush. But its is right in my sweet spot for what I would want for my go-to travel brush. The fibers have a shockingly natural feel to them! Leaning towards a boar in nature. Amazing lathers. Great stuff. Again, doesnt hold water as good as a natural. But I have found my go-to travel brush for sure! I took it with me right now on a 7 week european tour. Its that good!

Well this thread must have helped Larry's business. I just went to order and he's out of synthetic knots.

Really? Wow!

He's been running low on all his knots lately. I'm anxiously tracking the shipment so I can place an order.

Yeah he said the new shipment is coming any day.

I hope his new knots will have the same quality!

I went to order more knots from Larry hoping I could get in before they went out of stock but no luck. I talked to him and he said they are from the same supplier and are same generation so they should be just as good. I ordered two and will update when I get them but I assume/hope they will be the same.

I think an S-Brush might make it's way to me for no other reason than comparison with my 10066.

I love my STF V2 19mm for travel. Seems small for everyday use but still manage thre passes from it. Splays decent once you figure out to breach the knot with your jaw/chin.

And for Plisson order it from them direct. With a low Euro and VAT exclusions it should be reasonable.

Top Bottom