What's new

Vietnamese Dollar General

I was in the area and stopped by a Dollar General store and wanted to see what kind of blades they might be carrying. I'd heard anything from Dorcos to Personnas so I was curious. What I didn't expect was a 5-pack from Vietnam. I've seen some discussion that the Vietnamese blades are Dorcos, but I've also seen that Gillette has a plant there putting out Gillette branded blades. Is that right or wrong? Anyone know who might have sourced these blades?

Attachments

• $IMG_1422.JPG
    $IMG_1422.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 287
  • $IMG_1424.JPG
    $IMG_1424.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 291
  • $IMG_1425.JPG
    $IMG_1425.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 290
I just bought the same pack of blades in a Dollar General about 2weeks ago. Haven't tried them yet. Will give them a try soon

I also have some but I haven't tried them yet because I learned that Dorco makes blades in 2 places. Some blades are made in Vietnam and some are made in Korea. From what I have heard people say, the Dorco blades made in Korea are loved and the Dorco blades made in Vietnam are not loved and considered a bad blade. Of coarse YMMV but this has kept me from trying the blade. What I'm going to do is order some Dorco blades that are made in Korea and do a comparison. This will be in a few weeks, I have several other blades I want to try.

I usually look at DE blades in stores that carry them, but I rarely buy any, as they are too expensive.

One thing I've noticed over the last couple of years is that most drugstore blades are now Stainless Steel, whereas before that, the vast majority were Platinum-Chrome. I'm not sure why this change was made. Maybe the manufacturers decided to leave out the coatings as a cost-saving measure, and they assumed nobody would notice.

Well, *I* notice. I greatly prefer Plat-Chrome blades, so that's another reason I won't buy them.

Well, I've tried these Dorco-made Viet blades. One shave thus far and after the first pull of the blade, I almost threw the entire pack into the can. I looked at the blade to see if it was pulling any skin off because it was the most stinging, uncomfortable first pass I've had with a blade. Worse than the Merkur blades in that regard. I used this blade in a 33C razor and was extremely careful to let the razor do the job...little or no pressure applied by me. I got through without any weepers on 3 passes but I kept checking the head of the razor to make sure the handle hadn't loosened and made the angle of the blade wrong and too irritating. It was properly closed.

The shave wasn't one of the closest I've had thus far...but was genuinely the most uncomfortable blade I have used.

Last edited:
Wellllll....I won't be finishing this 5-pack. I've used the blades in a 33C and in a very mild Weishi/VDH razor. Even in the Weishi -- even with full facial prep...washing face in hot shower, rinsing face again before turning off water...pre-shave oil...good lather from Proraso/brush combo...light touch on the razor...you name it. These are dreadful blades. If you find these Vietnam-made blades in the aisles of your nearby Dollar General, do yourself and your face a biggie and steer clear. Just horrible.

I also have some but I haven't tried them yet because I learned that Dorco makes blades in 2 places. Some blades are made in Vietnam and some are made in Korea. From what I have heard people say, the Dorco blades made in Korea are loved and the Dorco blades made in Vietnam are not loved and considered a bad blade. Of coarse YMMV but this has kept me from trying the blade. What I'm going to do is order some Dorco blades that are made in Korea and do a comparison. This will be in a few weeks, I have several other blades I want to try.

Do not have high expectations for these Viet-Dorcos. I couldn't get through a complete shave...even a one-pass with them. Not even in a really mild razor like the weishi/gillette clones. These things are horrid.

I don't know, but I have used some Viet Gillette Super Thins and they are IMO simply atrocious.

Each to their own i guess. Here in Thailand Gillette Super Thins are superb IMO. The packaging is similar -different writing- to the Vietnamese one but i assumed they were otherwise identical. Someone told me they were both made in Shanghai but there's nothing on the packaging to say so. I'm on day three with the current blade following on from a week with the 7 Oclock Yellow and a GSB before that. They all seem very similar to my face.
Dorcos, on the other hand, are a mixed bag IMO. We get the Vietnamese version here, though i've seen the Korean ones in Japanese department stores. Given that GSTs, Astra and Feather all cost peanuts here i can't say i'm too bothered but i'll probably have a go sometime out of curiosity. I did have a decent head shave with a Vietnamese Dorco recently but there are better blades for my face.

I tried both Dorco blades the ones produced in Vietnam (atrocious) and the ones produced in Korea which are sufficiently good.
I have to try the new ST301 which are said to be better.
I will not buy any more Dorco st300 not the Vietnam made nor the Korea ones even if the latter are usable.

Old thread but the 300 and 301 are not the same blade and I can guarantee that. I've used the 300 pretty much only for years and picked up a pack of 301 and they're just awful. At least they wer for me.

Top Bottom