What's new

Amazing yoghurt shaving cream

Ok, this is one of the most strange and awsome things I have stumbled upon. Shaving cream made of plain yoghurt and baking soda. I found an old article about it in a magazine from the eighties in my local library.

It is common knowledge that yoghurt is beneficial for the skin. Many use it in facial masks. It has been used for ages against sunburnt skin and other irritations of the skin. There are even inconclusive evidence suggesting that the Babylonians used a mixture of yoghurt and woolfat as a kind of primitive shaving cream.

Potassium carbonate was used for making liquid soap. Baking soda contains sodium carbonate which is similar.

Here is an excerpt from wikipedia on the matter: "History[edit]Potassium carbonate was first identified in 1742 by Antonio Campanella and is the primary component of potash and the more refined pearl ash or salts of tartar. In late 18th century North America, before the development of baking powder, pearl ash was used as a leavening agent in quick breads.[SUP][3]
[/SUP]
Applications[edit]

"Sodium bicarbonate[SUP][note 1][/SUP] (IUPAC name: sodium hydrogen carbonate) is the chemical compound with the formula NaHCO[SUB]3[/SUB]. Sodium bicarbonate is a white solid that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. It has a slightly salty, alkaline taste resembling that of washing soda (sodium carbonate). The natural mineral form is nahcolite. It is a component of the mineral natron and is found dissolved in many mineral springs. It is among the food additives encoded by European Union, identified by the initials E 500. Since it has long been known and is widely used, the salt has many related names such as baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, and bicarbonate of soda.[SUP][note 2][/SUP] The word saleratus, from Latin sal æratus meaning aerated salt, was widely used in the 19th century for both sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate. The term has now fallen out of common usage."

In India where some people are very poor, a bright young man named Lirpa Rettahdam combined the 2 facts above to yeald an unexpected and completely amazing result.

Mix half a cup of yoghurt with a teaspoonful of baking soda and stir it well. The carbonates reacts with the fat in the yoghurt to form a low amount of soap like agents that are much softer on the skin than regular soaps. The development of carbon dioxide produces quite quickly a lovely creamy foam. Baking soda also has deodorizing properties which makes the cream almost odorless.

Needless to say, I had to try this, and so I did this morning. And let me tell you, WOW!!! Slickness of Sterling, protection of Mikes, postshave of MWF. Absolutely amazing.

My sister once tried yogurt on her face as a maske and her face got all inflamed. Even if this was not April Fools I would not try it.

Lirpa Rettahdam = madhatteR apriL :lol:.

But seriously, didn't I get even one to consider trying?
I thought I made quite a convincing case with the underlying pseudoscientific explanation :001_smile.

Top Bottom