What's new

Arko ?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Nonetheless, there is a difference between science (purely based on facts) and scientific consensus (often times lobbied by parties with interests (companies, etc) to favor a certain outcome).

Whenever you see "scientific consensus" you know right away it's crap, because there is no consensus in science.

I’ve read two definitions of “scientific consensus” and one of them matches the one youse guys are sharing. The politicized/monetized version of an appeal to authority. It’s an “it’s right because the right people agree with me” situation and an acrimonious divorce from reason.

I’ve also read of a definition of “scientific consensus” wherein a study would be performed by multiple research groups and yield roughly identical results. It’s an “it might not be right, but we have yet to find out how it’s wrong and we’ve been trying” situation. If the answer isn’t uncertain, unnerving, and generally disappointing, it’s probably good scientific practices.

At least that’s my understanding and my sky-high Dunning Krueger strongly suggests I’m mistaken and my list being only two definitions seems to miss lots of nuance.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’ve read two definitions of “scientific consensus” and one of them matches the one youse guys are sharing. The politicized/monetized version of an appeal to authority. It’s an “it’s right because the right people agree with me” situation and an acrimonious divorce from reason.

I’ve also read of a definition of “scientific consensus” wherein a study would be performed by multiple research groups and yield roughly identical results. It’s an “it might not be right, but we have yet to find out how it’s wrong and we’ve been trying” situation. If the answer isn’t uncertain, unnerving, and generally disappointing, it’s probably good scientific practices.

At least that’s my understanding and my sky-high Dunning Krueger strongly suggests I’m mistaken and my list being only two definitions seems to miss lots of nuance.
I think the Crighton article I linked to explains it best. He says:
"Finally, I would remind you to notice where the claim of consensus is invoked. Consensus is invoked only in situations where the science is not solid enough. Nobody says the consensus of scientists agrees that E=mc2. Nobody says the consensus is that the sun is 93 million miles away. It would never occur to anyone to speak that way."
So, in effect - saying the "scientific consensus" is so and so is an attempt to lend an air of science and authority to some proposition that can't hold its own water.

You are absolutely correct. Consensus can be understood in those two distinct ways.

My reference to it was the politicized/monetized (and thus preferred) version in spite of the existence of conflicting science.

Last edited:
Good article here

I think the Crighton article I linked to explains it best. He says:
"Finally, I would remind you to notice where the claim of consensus is invoked. Consensus is invoked only in situations where the science is not solid enough. Nobody says the consensus of scientists agrees that E=mc2. Nobody says the consensus is that the sun is 93 million miles away. It would never occur to anyone to speak that way."
So, in effect - saying the "scientific consensus" is so and so is an attempt to lend an air of science and authority to some proposition that can't hold its own water.

For the sake of clarity, I wasn't only talking about climate change when I brought up ' consensus'. It applies to different areas. One example was/is sugar. There are many others.

Climate change is real and is happening but it's natural. We would have to dwell into the long-range solar astronomical cycles driven by regular periodicities in the eccentricity to understand how it works. Yet, climate change is solely blamed on us, humans (our cars, our cows, etc). Would anyone care if we were told it's natural and there is nothing to be afraid of? Of course not. Fear is crucial to incite people to comply with socio-economic and geo-political agendas. That's how it's been done for ages, I am not judging. We are told polar bears are dying due to climate change then the National Geographic admitted it was not true. The WWF (and Netflix) spread the argument that climate change drives walruses off cliffs when again it is not true.

Back to (nuclear) ☢️ Arko ☢️.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For the sake of clarity, I wasn't only talking about climate change when I brought up ' consensus'. It applies to different areas. One example was/is sugar. There are many others.

Climate change is real and is happening but it's natural. We would have to dwell into the long-range solar astronomical cycles driven by regular periodicities in the eccentricity to understand how it works. Yet, climate change is solely blamed on us, humans (our cars, our cows, etc). Would anyone care if we were told it's natural and there is nothing to be afraid of? Of course not. Fear is crucial to incite people to comply with socio-economic and geo-political agendas. That's how it's been done for ages, I am not judging. We are told polar bears are dying due to climate change then the National Geographic admitted it was not true. The WWF (and Netflix) spread the argument that climate change drives walruses off cliffs when again it is not true.

Back to (nuclear) ☢️ Arko ☢️.
I had no specific topic intended when I shared the article, I think the concept applies regardless of the subject mentioned.
I just thought that Crighton made a cogent summary.

Check the cancer and neurodegenerative disease rates of the last 50 years .Then we can come back to the topic.

As I've already stated: It's not about living a longer life.
It's about living a better life.
The reason the numbers are up because there are more people.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Forgive me if this has already been covered. I'm currently using Canada Shave Soap and it's wonderful stuff.

There are only six simple ingredients in “CANADA SHAVING SOAP”:

– Triple-Pressed “Vegetable-Based” Stearic Acid (sustainably sourced from Palm Trees)
– Imported Coconut Oil
– Canadian-sourced Distilled Water
– Potassium Hydroxide
– Sodium Hydroxide
– “Vegetable-Based” Glycerin

That’s it! No added fragrances, perfumes, or unpronounceable chemical names.

I remember the Food babe (i Guess being pretty makes you an expert) was distressed that airlines were not pumping pure oxygen into airplane cabins and there was nitrogen mixed in with the air. Pure oxygen atmosphers are a fire hazard as we all learned from the Apollo 1 disaster.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I remember the Food babe (i Guess being pretty makes you an expert) was distressed that airlines were not pumping pure oxygen into airplane cabins and there was nitrogen mixed in with the air. Pure oxygen atmosphers are a fire hazard as we all learned from the Apollo 1 disaster.
I think it was George Carlin who said "Think of how dumb the average person is, then realize that half the population is dumber than that."

Top Bottom