What's new

Shaving without soap/cream, olive oil only!

Today I was wondering if it's possible to shave with olive oil only? I had a 5th day old beard and I decided to sacrifice my face for this experiment. After a hot shower I was ready. I used a different blade I used a Vokshod, normally I use Permasharp or Astra SP.

I was pretty sceptical at the beginning so I made my lather just in case. I must admit it really works well, it even works better than using soap/cream. I had no difficulties at all, I had no nicks or razor burns. Everything went fine and smoothly. My skin feels very soft and nice.

It's pretty funny that this even works and you won't expect it at all! For the people who want to save money this is an ideal way to do so. You wont need a brush, mug and soap/cream.

I also want to add some herbs such as oregano to the oil for the smell but I don't know if your skin will benefit from it. I guess I'll have to Google about the herbs and if they'll do anything good for the skin. Anyway this was a great experience!

This is definitely on my list of things to try; it would be so cool to just bring a little bottle of olive oil and a DE razor on vacation!

I've been working up to try that again, myself. First time I coated my face, and it was a mess; now I'm thinking, more like my pre-shave routine, 4 drops with some water and baking soda emulsified.

Just use a couple drops, if you feel like you need more than use more. I have read on the internet that oregano has some anti bacterial properties. I think if you use oregano essential oil combined with evoo you can use it as an aftershave/moisturizer? So no more AS needed anymore.

You can shave with no soap or water at all and come away with a nice shave too, with a few days growth, used to do that all the time with my cartridge (no water either) a dry shave

Your experience of shaving with olive oil would be more meaningful if we knew your approximate age and are your whiskers mild, medium, or tough and coarse.

The reason I ask about age is not be be personal, but to address the fact that our whiskers toughen as we grow older, especially after the age of 50 or so.

Just use a couple drops, if you feel like you need more than use more. I have read on the internet that oregano has some anti bacterial properties. I think if you use oregano essential oil combined with evoo you can use it as an aftershave/moisturizer? So no more AS needed anymore.

So, would you go for a little balsamic aftershave afterwards? You'd smell great, I bet the girls would eat you up! :laugh:

You can shave with no soap or water at all and come away with a nice shave too, with a few days growth, used to do that all the time with my cartridge (no water either) a dry shave

You must have a light beard, I tried that years ago, not fun. I tried just water while on vacation once, better, but not something I'd try again.

Oils and fats are far more ancient than soaps to use as shaving lubricants. Soaps did not predominate until the 19th century. Today you can get shave oils like Shave Secret and King of Shaves.

Barbasol and Burma-Shave were basically emulsions of water, oils and waxes, and at one time were widely popular.

I would not use oregano as I believe it has skin sensitivity issues. Rosemary would be a better choice but you need to be careful with amount of oil you added, as I believe in large amounts it also has skin sensitivity issues.

Last edited:
That's nothing. I heard there a guy 3017 a barrel of Mobil 1 synthetic and expects to get close to 50,000 close, comfortable shaves. View attachment 560264

$mobil.jpg

Oils and fats are far more ancient than soaps to use as shaving lubricants. Soaps did not predominate until the 19th century. Today you can get shave oils like Shave Secret and King of Shaves.

Both the Romans and the Ancient Egyptians shaved (the Egyptians shaved eeeeverything- head to toe. Straight razors were found in Tutankhamen's tomb!). I imagine they used something similar. Cool experiment! I second the caution with adding essential oils. I recommend no more than one drop per shave, otherwise it might "burn" your face.

We use lanolube at my machine shop which is pure 100% lanolin. I've always wondered how it would do as a shaving balm. It feels great on the hands and is slicker than goose... Well you know... lol. I may have to try it! :laugh:

I am not sure if I want to give up the luxurious lather of shaving soaps - but Olive Oil is the best post shave product out there. Nothing beats the face feel...

Top Bottom