What's new

What to try next

You may also want to try a pre-shave cream to give you a little bit more protection on the neck area. It adds that little bit of extra slickness that may help on the neck area. I can send you some Proraso Green pre-shave cream if you don't currently have any and want to try it out. PM me.

pm sent.

My plan of attack:

1. Either dial Slim to 1-2 or pull out the Tech.
2. Use the same blade brand for at least 1 week (changing every shave), so 7 blades for the week.
3. Use the same soap (Not sure which one yet)
4. Soak my beard with a lather for ~5min before first pass
5. use a ASB as my aftershave for at least the first few days
6. Only preform 2 passes, WTG, and ATG
7. Use cartridge for clean up if i need a BBS
8. Try to journal my progress either in this thread, or in a journal thread.

pm sent.

My plan of attack:

1. Either dial Slim to 1-2 or pull out the Tech.
2. Use the same blade brand for at least 1 week (changing every shave), so 7 blades for the week.
3. Use the same soap (Not sure which one yet)
5. use a ASB as my aftershave for at least the first few days
6. Only preform 2 passes, WTG, and ATG
7. Use cartridge for clean up if i need a BBS
8. Try to journal my progress either in this thread, or in a journal thread.

Sounds good.
that's a lot of stuff. Maybe one of those blades you want to try corking before your shave either with a cork or Styrofoam. Since you are only using them for one shave it won't matter.
I started doing this after noticing my 2 and 3 shaves were better than 1. Plus I bin them after 2-4 depending on blade anyway, so the corking doesn't cut down on the blade life.
it's supposed to simulate 1 shave already on the blade plus remove any burrs or inperfections.
keep us posted.
and of course.... don't use too much pressure. .. lol

P.s. if you do try the corking, if you use a cork it's only one pass per side of the blade into the cork, but Styrofoam I do 3-5 because it's so much softer. :)

Update:

1. Either dial Slim to 1-2 or pull out the Tech. Slim on 2, and i think that is too mild, might go to a 3-4 setting.
2. Use the same blade brand for at least 1 week Personna Red was smooth, might use the blade again, as I have used one multiple days in the past...no more than 3 shaves in this reset
3. Use the same soap Used Maggards Lime for first reset shave..good cushion) Will continue with Maggards Lime or Barbershop soap for a few days
4. Soak my beard with a lather for ~5min before first pass (Forgot to soak for 5 min, rushed shave)
5. use a ASB as my aftershave for at least the first few days (AFTA ASB)
6. Only preform 2 passes, WTG, and ATG Done, but shave was not even a SAS, so i used step 7.
7. Use cartridge for clean up if i need a BBS Used Pace 6, and got 1 weeper with the cartridge, but none with the DE

I think I was going over aggressive with the Slim and assuming all blades were a 7 setting. I need to dial in each blade to its sharpness and smoothness, I prefer smooth over sharp blades.

Update:

1. Either dial Slim to 1-2 or pull out the Tech. Slim on 2, and i think that is too mild, might go to a 3-4 setting.
2. Use the same blade brand for at least 1 week Personna Red was smooth, might use the blade again, as I have used one multiple days in the past...no more than 3 shaves in this reset
3. Use the same soap Used Maggards Lime for first reset shave..good cushion) Will continue with Maggards Lime or Barbershop soap for a few days
4. Soak my beard with a lather for ~5min before first pass (Forgot to soak for 5 min, rushed shave)
6. Only preform 2 passes, WTG, and ATG Done, but shave was not even a SAS, so i used step 7.
7. Use cartridge for clean up if i need a BBS Used Pace 6, and got 1 weeper with the cartridge, but none with the DE

I think I was going over aggressive with the Slim and assuming all blades were a 7 setting. I need to dial in each blade to its sharpness and smoothness, I prefer smooth over sharp blades.

It's totally YMMV but I was using a personna platinum chrome (red IP UK packaging from WCS) and it didn't get as close at all. I was risking irritation by going any further so dealt with the stubble here and there. Same razor as I used a lab blue in the last couple shaves. Maybe try a Lab Blue instead. They do have the comfort coating and after corking they cut like butter with no irritation for me. But I was experimenting.
just a suggestion.
And the coring does take away from the roughness most blades have on the first shave compared to the 2 and 3 Shave.

Shave 2:

1. Either dial Slim to 1-2 or pull out the Tech. Slim on 4 and buttery smooth].
2. Use the same blade brand for at least 1 week Personna red shave 2. Blade was good debating a third shave with it
3. Use the same soap Used Maggards Lime had good cushion again) Will continue with maggard line until sample is gone (probably one more shave) then switch soap. /COLOR]
4. Soak my beard with a lather for ~5min before first pass (soaked in maggards line for a few minutes before shave this time
6. Only preform 2 passes, WTG, and ATG Done, had a SAS after 2 passes with one weeper that the ASB took care of
7. Use cartridge for clean up if i need a bbs. Not needed this time a SAS is ok

Overall am happy with the improvements. Will stick with this again next shave then change the blade and soap if sample runs out.

In my experiences Dorcos and Derby's are very forgiving blades.

I would do a XTG instead of a ATG pass, if possible. ATG is asking for irritation.

If you stick with a DE a while and still don't get it, I recommend trying a single-edge razor like a late-model Schick. I have a Chinese clone of an M-type Schick and its a decent shaver, about as good as the real Schicks I have used, and I bought it off eBay. The mild shavers don't cut quite as close as a DE but the shave quality is much more even.

And its hard to go wrong with a Bic Sensitive disposable, I hardly even cut myself with those. They don't do BBS easily but they are not meant to, just a SAS/DFS shaver.

Cartridges are fine if they don't bother your skin.

Last edited:
Where are the weepers? I don't know your routine for prep, but I'm wondering how many passes do you take? Are you striving for BBS or just DFS/CCS?

I know for me I go two passes and that's it (touch up if needed but that's rare). Whatever the result is, I'll be shaving again tomorrow.

I NEVER go ATG on neck. I do WTG first pass on cheeks/chin/jaw/neck. On the second pass I do XTG on cheeks/jawline/chin, but the second pass is WTG again on the neck... DONE!

Now of course your face isn't the same, so whisker growth may not fit this method, but you can perhaps adapt it to yourself. I think the main thing is too many passes with any razor for any person will eventually result in irritation or cuts no matter how careful or experienced they are. Whether "too many" is 2, 3, 4, 5 or ? passes will vary from one person to the next, but at some point you've crossed the line and are gonna suffer.

For me it's two passes. I can do 3, but I don't really realize a vastly improved result with that 3rd pass so I don't do it anymore.

We'll get you through this, just don't give up!
What he said - I never EVER do a AGT on my neck. Even after 50+ years of shaving - my neck will not allow me to do a ATG. I will do WTG and XTG with pretty much no irriation. But a ATG will cause weepers.

Shave 4:

1. Either dial Slim to 1-2 or pull out the Tech. This time i used a GEM Bullettip and a GEM PTFE blade
2. Use the same blade brand for at least 1 week GEM PTFE blade
3. Use the same soap Tried Con Conk Lime today as the Maggards Lime was not enough for 1 more shave.
5. use a ASB as my aftershave for at least the first few days Tried Pinud Clubman
6. Only preform 2 passes, WTG, and ATG Done, had a SAS after 2 passes with one weeper that the ASB took care of

Good 2 pass shave. Used clubman AS and it looked like a freddy cruger movie with MANY weepers. I probably changed too many things this morning.

Ugh!

Shave 4:

1. Either dial Slim to 1-2 or pull out the Tech. This time i used a GEM Bullettip and a GEM PTFE blade
2. Use the same blade brand for at least 1 week GEM PTFE blade
3. Use the same soap Tried Con Conk Lime today as the Maggards Lime was not enough for 1 more shave.
5. use a ASB as my aftershave for at least the first few days Tried Pinud Clubman

Good 2 pass shave. Used clubman AS and it looked like a freddy cruger movie with MANY weepers. I probably changed too many things this morning.

Ugh!

Thanks for reminding me. I need to stop by Walgreens for a bottle of pinaud. Maggard was out. Gonna pay a dollar less for half the amount though...

I would stay with one razor and blade combination for a while.
When I first started, I used one razor for about 4 months, using different blades and one shaving cream.
I now have 6 razors and when I use one, I use for about 2 to 3 months without using another. It does take a couple of weeks to learn a different razor. Once you learn how it works best, you will get some great shaves.
I just spent about 3 to 4 months with my Gillette New LC. I hated to put it down but; I have a Gillette Fatboy that I wanted to try.
Give each razor a fair try and you will be rewarded. You have some great ones.
I think it is problematic when one changes too often. Pick one. Learn it, and Love it!

Hang in there Kev!

As a result of this thread, I am reevaluating my soaps. I concluded some of them just don't seem to offer the same level of protection. I've even managed to go two days straight with no blood being drawn, and the tiniest weeper on third day.

Hang in there Kev!

As a result of this thread, I am reevaluating my soaps. I concluded some of them just don't seem to offer the same level of protection. I've even managed to go two days straight with no blood being drawn, and the tiniest weeper on third day.

I definitely have to dial in the water ratio for different soaps. For instance, I haven't really been liking the Mike's or the Razorock as much as my Stirling or Mama Bears. I started using more soap and a little less water with those two and they have been much better. It's harder to make those adjustments when you rotate every day.

I definitely have to dial in the water ratio for different soaps. For instance, I haven't really been liking the Mike's or the Razorock as much as my Stirling or Mama Bears. I started using more soap and a little less water with those two and they have been much better. It's harder to make those adjustments when you rotate every day.

Good point. I'll have to experiment some more with the ones that I feel aren't as protective to see if it is just a water ratio thing. I agree that doing the soap of the month or 3017 approach really helps.

I got the preshave cream. Tried it last night with razorock xxx. A few weepers. I am going to try a harder soap tonight with more preshave cream or oil.

I got the preshave cream. Tried it last night with razorock xxx. A few weepers. I am going to try a harder soap tonight with more preshave cream or oil.

More cream is probably fine, but be careful with the oil. There is a tipping point where too much will gunk up the blade and make for a sticky feeling shave, rather than the slickness you would want.

I left my Slim on a 4.

I also got some Dorco 301 blades as they are very forgiving.

I used the Prosano preshave cream, then MWF was my soap of choice.

3 pass CCS, with no weepers. Not close, but no damage :eek:).

Will use again tonight.

Last edited:
Last nights shave went well.

Slim on 5
Dorco 301 (2)
MWF
Brut generic aftershave.

did not use preshave as MWF is very hydrating, and I think I can say that I found a good combination.

Glad to hear about the improvement. I've not gone for a third pass in months. Two passes with a lot of skin-stretching are enough for me. Now, each "pass" has strokes that go in a particular direction, since the hair on my cheeks and neck seems to grow in various directions. It's like playing golf, there's just so much to remember and forgetting any one thing can totally mess you up. Right now, I'm thinking beard mapping, skin stretching, and light pressure would be the things to focus on. Good luck!

Top Bottom