What's new

Bostonian - New to Wet Shaving

Hi everyone!

What a great resource this is! Ever since I started shaving, I have been using cartridge razors and canned Gillette gels because that's what my dad did. Sensor, Sensor Excel, Mach 3, Fusion. I absolutely hated paying $2 - $3 per cartridge, but I did because that's what you do! I never even considered wet shaving because I just assumed that the technology represented an improvement not only in convenience but also in shave quality. Clearly I was wrong on the latter.

I'm also making a career change and realized that I need to step up my grooming game. No more Supercuts, no more Suave, and no more shaving with cartridges and gels! So I recently bought the following: Merkur 34C, TOBS Jermyn Street Shave Cream (I have always had relatively sensitive Irish skin so I thought I'd try it out), a supply of Feather blades, and a Semogue 1305 boar hair brush.

I've wet-shaved twice now, and it seems to be going well, aside from several small nicks on my neck. I assume those will stop as I learn the technique. Todays shave was probably the closest shave I've ever had. I did have a little trouble getting the right consistency in the lather - I will have to read up on that technique.

So there you have it! I'm excited to read everyone's tips and recommendations for great shave creams and things. Thanks!

Matt

Welcome to B&B Matt, I would put the feathers away for a bit and try Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP or one of the Personna blades. Feather are so sharp and unforgiving. Once you get your technique down give them a try again but I'm sure the blade is giving you most of your problems at this point... Enjoy all the great razors, blades, brushes and soaps & creams! It's a fun and sometimes a painful adventure but you'll never go back to cartridges!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Matt; As you progress in experience your nicks will get less and less. For lather, experiment with the soap/water ratio until you get the lather you want.

Matt,

Did you say Irish skin and you are from Boston. I have NEVER, EVER heard of that one before! :001_cool:

Welcome, from a fellow, non-Irish Bostonian!

Hello and welcome, Matt. Great to have you here. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to B&B, Matt! Sounds like you are of to a good start.

My parents are from Burlington (MA) and I grew up in southern NH.

Welcome Matt from a former Bostonian now living in the suburbs but can't wait to move back once the kids are off to college. That's a long ways away.

Top Bottom