What's new

What some call Vosgienne - Show off your rock

AG69:
Has your Stone a Stamp or Label ?

To Doorsch: it had a very faint stamp on the side and a standard la lune label on one of its faces. When I received the stone, the label was partially detached, so I removed it in order to prevent further damage. Just to clarify- this stone is a purple Pierre La Lune. I also have another french hone ("special stone only for good razors") unfortunately without a label. This stone is similar to the one that Dicaddo111 posted a picture of. My stone though is 7"X1.5". Here is a picture of both stones together. The picture quality is not very high, but this is all I could get from my iPad.

regards,
AG

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
These reddish La Lunes are very similar or the same as the Goldfisch and Fox stones, aren't they? So not the same as what we think are Vosgiennes?

Noooooo..... Those are related to bbw/coticules I think. IDK what to classify the lunes as tbh with you... The french hones are probably all related, but good luck to anyone trying to figure it all out.... My vosgienne has many of the same tells as the lune, but it has more metallic crazing to it and it is glassy in some very bizarre way. I hate assigning grits to natural stones, but my piece is well beyond 15k and cuts aggressively...

Last edited:
Right, but I am pretty sure Henk Bos was saying that he thought the Goldfisch/Fox was related to BBW of the reddish variety. Rouge or Lorraine or something. They are way softer than the Vosgiennes and will self-slurry on straight water as I recall.

Got my Vosgienne and lapped both sides. A beautiful stone with amazing performance. Definitely going in the "Never to be sold" pile. Dimensions are 7.5" x 2.125" x 24mm+

I just need to find a small vosgienne now for a slurry stone/companion. I had a hard time focusing the camera sorry guys.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Got my Vosgienne and lapped both sides. A beautiful stone with amazing performance. Definitely going in the "Never to be sold" pile. Dimensions are 7.5" x 2.125" x 24mm+

I just need to find a small vosgienne now for a slurry stone/companion. I had a hard time focusing the camera sorry guys.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks very nice and its apperance is what i expected when i saw that one first listed on ebay....

The seller's pix were pretty accurate, not much of a surprise there. I made them an offer but I wasn't willing to go for their counter.
Pretty stone though - I like the green dots.

Are we sure that's a Vosgian stone? Those green spots seem reminiscent of some Welsh tombstone shots I've seen as well.

Do the Welsh stones have the "figuring" like that that seems like a holographic pattern? Are they fast or slow? Hard or soft? I am pretty sure he has got what has been lately called a Vosgienne there by the look of it. Looks just like mine, which looks just like Peter's (hatzicho).

Are we sure that's a Vosgian stone? Those green spots seem reminiscent of some Welsh tombstone shots I've seen as well.

It is definitely NOT Welsh Slate. They look nothing like a Vos. Except both are kind of purple. Completely different if you have both samples in hand(which I do) Their performance is also total crap by comparison. I wouldn't pay 40$ for a welsh slate whereas I'd gladly pay $200+ for the stone in question. Welsh stones are hard, dead slow and not very fine.(Even the supposed 15k is no where near the Vosgienne)

Nobody would confuse the 2. The stone I posted is obviously a Vosgienne. A pretty textbook example actually. Light years ahead of a yellow lake on speed and much more fine. Also way better to look at.

Last edited:

I also think its a Vosgienne....the green spots are as you wrote Alan:

more green spots then "oval" or "round" blotches...also these green insertions are more faint where the ones on the puple yellow lake variants / Tombstones are well colored and strictly lined (i hope you all can understand this description)....

I also agree to Erics description mentioning the holographic pattern, i never realised it that way but it kinda fits...

Last edited:
It is definitely NOT Welsh Slate. They look nothing like a Vos. Except both are kind of purple. Completely different if you have both samples in hand(which I do) Their performance is also total crap by comparison. I wouldn't pay 40$ for a welsh slate whereas I'd gladly pay $200+ for the stone in question. Welsh stones are hard, dead slow and not very fine.(Even the supposed 15k is no where near the Vosgienne)

Nobody would confuse the 2. The stone I posted is obviously a Vosgienne. A pretty textbook example actually. Light years ahead of a yellow lake on speed and much more fine. Also way better to look at.

I might confuse the two. The shots in question are a little bit soft and washed out and I am not sure about the color balance there. If you have both, could you post a comparison shot of the supposed vosgienne next to a piece of spotted Welsh slate? That would be great. Perhaps in daylight to get a sense of the color balance and different colors at play with each stone?

Check out Gumbo's stone on the right, as shown in the third and fourth images down of his first post. Apart from the dodgy color balance, the surface seems reminiscent of some presumed Welsh stones I've seen.

Last edited:
I might confuse the two. The shots in question are a little bit soft and washed out and I am not sure about the color balance there. If you have both, could you post a comparison shot of the supposed vosgienne next to a piece of spotted Welsh slate? That would be great. Perhaps in daylight to get a sense of the color balance and different colors at play with each stone?

Check out Gumbo's stone on the right, as shown in the third and fourth images down of his first post. Apart from the dodgy color balance, the surface seems reminiscent of some presumed Welsh stones I've seen.
I have welsh slates from AJ. My purple has no green spots. The stones are obviously completely different material though. The vosgienne is much finer and 100x faster. Slurry darkens immediately and can finish on plain water with just a few strokes. The welsh stones take over 100 laps or more and slurry will never darken. Besides it(Vosgienne) has metallic figuring and a look that CANNOT be confused for anything but a La Lune in my opinion. Similar to how a BBW has a certain pattern but less holographic than a BBW.

My welsh slate is a drab purple with no figuring. Very homogenous color wise. Some lighter colored spots on the back but not like the metallic figuring on a vosgienne. I don't feel like cleaning the oil and grime off the LM for a picture as the stone really isn't worth the effort.

Suffice to say if you have a vosgienne and a YL or LM you will not be getting them mixed up. The look and performance/feedback are just different, anyone who is even slightly a rock hound should be able to tell. In person anyway, in pictures anything can look like just about anything else.

My Vosgienne is tied for my favorite finisher with my other super high end hones. The welsh slates I use on knives/chisels etc. And that is only if I want to be honing for an hour, they are way too slow to be of practical use. My frankonians are what do most of my knife/tool work due to their insane speed. The Vosgienne puts a killer edge on ultra hard Swedish and Japanese steels, easy to over do it on soft Sheffield blades though.

Top Bottom