What's new

What some call Vosgienne - Show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Well guys, seems that today is the Day !
In the last years I've spent some of my free time doing research on the La Lune and the Special Stone sources.
The task wasn't easy, info available near to zero and most of my research were failures, but one day, I was reading an ancient book from 1826 and after 280 pages, a light turn on in my head and all was me clear.
There are some more research to do for confirm my discovery, specially on field, and maybe could be soon, a friend of mine is offer his help, but I'm relative sure to be on target and I can claim that both this stones were quarried in Domptail, a small village of the Vosges mountains, near to Luneville in the Lorraine department, in French country.
Now the light is turned on also to you, wear sunglasse !!!

Dedicated to Henk Bos.
Very interesting!

I was talking to a friend (probably the same friend) about this yesterday and he had some neat info on the subject. I'm looking forward to reading your findings.

Thanks, we will see what comes out, for the moment this are my conclusions.
I know that someone other makes research on this stones but I haven't received any info from them.

Well Fabrizio not bad ;-) Luneville and Baccarat where both locations named in "connection" to the stones.

Actually iam really interested what you find out and especially if you have the chance to test some samples and show them here then...

I would love to see them come up again!!

We will see what's happen, there are many things to consider, I don't know if I'm allowed to pic up samples, maybe is a restricted area or there are some kind of law that don't allow to do.
On first I was interested to bring back this stones on market, but after have lapped more than 100 stones the last year, and 100 more has to be flattened this year, the pain in my body makes change me idea about that.

I bet you'd still have quite a market even selling raw cut stones. Many of the guys here could easily flatten them.

And I gotta ask - every time I see that handle, I wonder to myself - bushdoctor - are you a gynecologist, a gardener or are you just a doctor that works out in the bush? Lol.

Special Stone and La Lune are hard stones, not easy to lap.

Regarding my nickname, we can say that I'm a sort of gardener.

They aren't hard at all once you lap arkansas stones and other things. They are dense and beat the hell out of your abrasives but they abrade very readily themselves

I agree, hybrid coticule, ark, cf, Zulu, Turkish and Cnat are hard but believe me, I own 3 Special and 1 La Lune and no one of them was easy to lap (using Dmt 325), and took me a lot of time just for refresh the surface.

Even this one was not too bad for me to lap $WP_20150530_17_13_07_Pro_zpstn80eazg.jpg

My big one is stamped extra fine. I have had three purple lunes, I kept one. I think the purple material is superior, personally.

I can't definy the stamps on side of my stones, they are visible but not clear to read the difference between very fine and extra fine. About preference, I prefer the blue one with black dots, I like the finish of this stone, sweet and comfortable.

My issue with the special stone is it only does sharp (at least mine does)... It doesn't matter what I put on top of the stone as a medium , lap count or how light a touch it only yields a vicious, unforgiving sort of edge. I haven't tried but I have been meaning to go to an ark off of it

Yeah so I've heard. But you know how it is, got to try it myself, lol. I've got darn near everything else, just a few more to go and I'll be able to call it a day, right? Hopefully? =)

Yeah, Lunes took a nice dip recently. I picked two up cheap enough even I'd buy them, and my opinion of them is fairly low. I'm planning to give them another try with these two, but I've been buying so many hones and never home the past month (first holidays, then my bosses vacation, then my boss broke his leg so working double-shifts for the foreseeable future), so I've not had any time to do so yet. I haven't even gotten a chance to play with that "vosgienne" with oil (first run with water was very "meh", and will result in a quick resale if the oil doesn't improve significantly).

Top Bottom