What's new

Trying to pair cologne with aftershave.

I have just acquired - through my delightful family and wife - a couple of colognes that are just wonderful. I got Acqua Classica Borsari Parma La Colonia and Acqua Di Parma Colonia (this one is truly wonderful . . . truly :thumbup:).

The question is, which aftershave pairs well with these? I have . . .
Floid Amber
Floid Blue
Clubman Pinaud Clubman
Brut
Aqua Velva Original Sport (the green one)
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Aqua Velva Ice Sport
RazoRock King Louis Lavender
Musk by Mennen

And I'm not opposed to acquiring one or two more that pair better. In fact, if it's recommended I buy more aftershave, how bad of a thing can that be?:biggrin1:

Recommendations? Experiences? I'd love to hear it all.

Have never smelled either of the edts that you received. However, a quick look at Fragrantica indicates that Capucci Pour Homme and 4711 are two that people say are similar to your edts. Capucci does have an aftershave available (Google it) and 4711 can be used as an aftershave. Good luck with your quest! Sounds like fun!

Something with notes citrus would be fine. I wouldn't worry about pairing too much as long as the aftershave doesn't overpower the cologne. I don't know how many fragrances you have, but I would probably spend more effort on fragrances rather than aftershaves. Of course, aftershaves aren't my thing, so I'm biased.

This is always a big challenge for me. I need to use an alcohol based aftershave every time I shave but it's difficult to find aftershaves that combine well with some frags. What I've started doing is using 90% rubbing alcohol followed by unscented witch hazel and a cold water rinse on the days I want to wear a fragrance I can't pair with an aftershave splash. It would be great to be able to buy the matching aftershave for every frag, but ......

Thanks for the responses!

Every time I wear the cologne, I have shaved just before, and when I shave, I use an aftershave.
Perhaps another post shave treatment would work better? Suggestions? I really am looking for a suitable combination of post shave treatment with the cologne.

The RazoRock XXX is one I might try with my next order. Unfortunately the Fine Italian Citrus is out of stock and at the moment cannot be produced.

If I mix fragrances I generally try to stay within the same fragrance family. Fougere with fougere. Chyphre with Chyphre etc... You can search the fragrance on fragrantica and learn what family it is in and study the notes.

If I am uncertain I just use witch hazel for my aftershave.

Of your aftershaves listed, I think clubman, brut and possibly mennen musk are the strongest. The others are great but short-lived.

The only aftershave I use is right after I shave is Clubman Pinaud, for both as an antiseptic and for a smooth finish - not necessarily the scent. Basically, it's for practical purposes only. That scent dies very fast anyway, so it's shave day only. Any other time, I don't use any kind of aftershave at all and will typically just use whichever fragrance suits me at the time.

As far as the rest, AdP Colonia is a very nice fragrance and I'd say great for all around wear. I'm not familiar with the other one you mentioned. If you're interested in fragrances, go over to fragrantica.com and type a fragrance into the search field and you'll find some interesting stuff, along with other suggestions that you might enjoy.

Last edited:
I don't know what would be a good pairing but why exactly do you need to pair them at all?

I'm with steve on this one. A cologne should stand on its own. Aim for scentless to very lightly scented that is gone in a few minutes. Proraso, either the liquid or the balm, or a REAL, distilled bay rum would be the answer. Aftershaves should calm a face, not compete with a cologne.

Don

The best pair is the exact same scent. Just buy some fragrance neutral aftershave balm, pour some into the cup of your hand, put two or three sprays of your EDT into it, mix with finger and apply to face.

As for the aftershaves you own, you can apply them to your face and use the same aftershave as a cologne by splashing some under your clothes. Another perfect match (though aftershave splashes vary in endurance from pretty good to pretty poor).
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom