What's new

Not quite getting to BBS, not sure why

+1 to not chasing BBS.

However, there's nothing wrong with trying to improve your shave. My biggest advice there is to never change more than one thing at a time while experimenting.

So pick an area to experiment with and try some different stuff. A blades sampler is a good and inexpensive start. Remember that some blades are different in different razors so if you get a different razor you should start over

Another good and easy thing to play around with is soap. Try a sampler from maggards. I'd recommend trying the artisans there and Cella.

Lastly - look into the pass around boxes. They are a great way to try different stuff.

CCS- Close, comfortable shave
DFS- Damn fine shave

Here ya go:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Abbreviations#C

My daily shaver is a clone of your razor with respect to the handle -- classic, love it -- but the cutting head is a Tech clone with one of its guards snapped off. You wanna learn? That'll learn ya. See the thread, "No Guard DE?" There we rediscovered two ways to get the edge of a blade into a hair follicle without splitting the skin open. And both require great prep, to make the skin slide off the hair like a stretched-out sock.

At an extremely steep cutting angle, you can flick a little extra out of there, like scraping the blackheads off your nose with a fingernail. (TMI?) Forward motion prevents the front face of the edge from impacting your skin, but the hair bends into opposition and is cut.

At an extemely shallow cutting angle, a very smooth blade (critical to success) can slide down the hair shaft before bending the hair into opposition, cleaving it at the root, and slide right out the other side of the follicle without the bottom face of the edge ever digging in.

Because of the f--ing evil idiot cartridges having claimed credit for cutting hair below the surface of the skin by a third method, tug-and-cut (hysteresis), people naturally have concluded that cutting hair below the surface of the skin is totally undesirable. Actually, it is the rigid angle of attack that puts the skin at risk of burn... well, that and using the first blade as the guard of the second, etc! Yes, planing off the surface of your face does hurt.

BBS does not.

Last edited:
My daily shaver is a clone of your razor with respect to the handle -- classic, love it -- but the cutting head is a Tech clone with one of its guards snapped off. You wanna learn? That'll learn ya. See the thread, "No Guard DE?" There we rediscovered two ways to get the edge of a blade into a hair follicle without splitting the skin open. And both require great prep, to make the skin slide off the hair like a stretched-out sock.

At an extremely steep cutting angle, you can flick a little extra out of there, like scraping the blackheads off your nose with a fingernail. (TMI?) Forward motion prevents the front face of the edge from impacting your skin, but the hair bends into opposition and is cut.

At an extemely shallow cutting angle, a very smooth blade (critical to success) can slide down the hair shaft before bending the hair into opposition, cleaving it at the root, and slide right out the other side of the follicle without the bottom face of the edge ever digging in.

Because of the f--ing evil idiot cartridges having claimed credit for cutting hair below the surface of the skin by a third method, tug-and-cut (hysteresis), people naturally have concluded that cutting hair below the surface of the skin is totally undesirable. Actually, it is the rigid angle of attack that puts the skin at risk of burn... well, that and using the first blade as the guard of the second, etc! Yes, planing off the surface of your face does hurt.

BBS does not.
Very good info.

This post makes me feel a lot better. I love the experience of lathering up some arko and feeling the fresh blade mow down growth. Especially true after 4 days or more of growth. But I can't get BBS. I doubt anyone can see the difference, but I often obsess about it during the work day. After reading this post, I guess I shouldn't!

Top Bottom