What's new

Not quite getting to BBS, not sure why

Hi all, I have been DE shaving for about 2 months now and I am learning a lot and enjoying it. While I can say that the quality of shaves I am getting is going up I am not quite getting to BBS. Specifically when i rub my hand against the grain on the cheeks there is a bit of roughness, and under my chin is also not great.

The problem is that I am not 100% what I should be considering for what to try next on this. I have been getting a pretty good lather with the fat, and then doing a pass with the grain, then usually a cross grain pass and an against the grain pass.

Suggestions welcome
My gear:

• Merkur 34c
  • Performa Blue Blades
  • Tweezerman Brush
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap

No need to be obsessing over BBS shaves, they'll happen,and even if they don't that's not a big deal either.

A DFS is more than enough IMO, and I can assure you that other people can't notice any difference. Take it easy and let things (especially your technique) improve naturally.

It's much easier on your skin too, trying too hard to achieve a BBS shave can be painful. :blush:

+1 for this. Patience and practice will get you there. In any event, I guarantee you the shaves now are much more satisfying all around than with carts.

No need to be obsessing over BBS shaves, they'll happen,and even if they don't that's not a big deal either.

A DFS is more than enough IMO, and I can assure you that other people can't notice any difference. Take it easy and let things (especially your technique) improve naturally.

It's much easier on your skin too, trying too hard to achieve a BBS shave can be painful. :blush:

I've learned that -- especially if I shave every day -- it's not worth it to strive for BBS. I get that on "special" days, usually after I have 1.5 to 2 days growth.

I generally get DFS with WTG then ATG on cheeks, and S to N, then N to S, both XTG, on the neck. (I've learned that I never do ATG on my neck!)

If I'm feeling lazy/careful, I'll do WTG on cheeks and one XTG on neck...SAS+

I heartily agree with Shilo’s and nuclearblasts's take on BBS, particularly about never doing ATG on my neck.
Doing
"WTG then ATG on cheeks, S to N, then N to S, both XTG, on the neck", also seems to work for me.
I am also quite happy with a SAS on lazy days.

I try to keep my focus on relaxation and enjoyment of the experience,
and allow my technique to improve at its own pace.

Thanks for your post and happy shaving! :)

Welcome to the forum! I go WTG/XTG/light clean up pass ATG...and that's it! No more. Wherever the shave lands...that's where it lands. We're human; some shaves are better than others because there are so many variables involved. Going for BBS means buffing and repeatedly going over the same spot which inevitably leads to ingrown hairs. Forget that noise.

Sounds like good advice above. I've been at this about as long as you have so I won't say anything more than it's good for all of us newbies to remember the advice that's above.

I have been shaving daily with a DE for almost two years and have never had a BBS. I get great shaves that are irritation free, but I can always feel stubble. I would rather continue to get those great shaves than scrape up my face trying to make it super smooth. So basically I agree with the posts above. It will come or it won't, but there is no need to chase it until it does.

Keep in mind that the only one who really knows for sure that you've got a BBS is going to be yourself. So don't stress over that elusive BBS. Nothing at all wrong with a DFS. Enjoy the BBS when it does happen, but the DFS and even the CCS is really all that's needed.

+2. Solid advice from Edgar.

With time and practice it will get better. However, even with 50+ years of shaving experience I don't always get a BBS shave on my mustache area. However, I have learned a DFS shave looks a lot better than nicks and irritation!

Hello, welcome to B&B. In time it will get better, keep working on your technique. I would suggest a blade sampler to try other blades.

I've gone for almost daily BBS and have been so far avoiding any serious irritation. BBS takes a lot of AGT. Specifically, I have been starting with pre-shave oil before the lather, 2 or 3 drops slopped-on in down to up strokes against gravity (same direction as AGT), then after the 3-pass WTG, XTG, and AGT, run the hand AGT and find where there is still fuzz. Lather those places, usually concentrated low in the face at and below the jaw and chin, hold and stretch the skin from the unlathered areas above, and do another AGT on the touch-up areas. Keeping the blades fresh, like replacing every 3 to 6 shaves, seems to help as well.

As said already, don't obsess over BBS. A DFS or CCS is just fine. Some guys can do ATG on the neck but many can't. It's far more likely to give you rash and it's just not worth worrying about.

I go WTG then XTG on cheeks and jawline. Both passes on my neck are WTG only. I shave 7 days a week and never get rash. I get a really nice shave WTG then XTG. Cold water rinse then a splash of aftershave.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have learned a DFS shave looks a lot better than nicks and irritation!

Hear, hear. It feels better, too.

I can get to BBS on my cheeks and chin, but it really isn't worth it. A good, 2-pass (WTG, XTG) DFS/DFS+ with a little touching up works fine for me most days. However, if I do want to push it further, I can get away with some ATG on my cheeks and, just under my jawline, and on my chin/lower lip. It looks fine, but those areas will feel raw for the rest of the day. That's not how I want to feel. ATG on my neck and mustache is a study in going far too far.

I've found, though, that I get just about as good results doing an extra XTG pass in the other direction on any part of my face, and there is no rawness. Excelsior! A DFS+ almost guaranteed in the bag!

As far as that area under the chin (and, for me, on my razor hand side of my jawline), that just took some careful thought and action as to getting technique right. Those are awkward places for me to hold my razor, so I need to stick with careful, short strokes and really concentrate. I'm getting better at it every day, which is part of the beauty!

Yes.....no need to ruin your day with blood and pain. I'm content if I can achieve a CCS.

However, the few times I came close to a BBS was with my Ikon open comb loaded with a Feather. YMMV, of course.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
In WIKI, DFS is defined as smooth WTG and XTG; BBS adds ATG. BBS is achieveable but takes time and is risky on the chin in my case. If you accomplish a BBS, 5 hours later it will be a DFS shave anyway; That's how close they are. Do what's enjoyable and comfortable; both ways prevent "5 O'Clock Shadow."

As said already, don't obsess over BBS. A DFS or CCS is just fine. Some guys can do ATG on the neck but many can't. It's far more likely to give you rash and it's just not worth worrying about.

I go WTG then XTG on cheeks and jawline. Both passes on my neck are WTG only. I shave 7 days a week and never get rash. I get a really nice shave WTG then XTG. Cold water rinse then a splash of aftershave.
+1 and welcome!

Can someone define DFS or CSS

Actually I have been on the board for a while, just trying to figure out how to get to the next level

This! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom