What's new

SE Razor ID

Hello all,

I have been using DEs now for about a year and a half, and have yet to try out a SE. I stumbled upon two today, and figured I would pick them up. One is a GEM Micromatic OC and the other is an Ever Ready. I believe that the MMOC is one of the original ones, but was wondering if anyone could confirm. The second SE is an Ever Ready of some sort. I really don't know much about these things, and was seeing if anyone could identify it for me.

Also, which one should I try first? I don't have any blades yet, but was going to see if CVS has some, since I've read on here that they carry them. Thanks in advance for your help!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420315157.511994.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420315173.827756.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420315187.111058.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420315201.327779.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420315218.277843.jpg

The second one looks to be a 1924, aka a "Shovelhead". Also thought to be on the aggressive side of SEs (though I don't find either of those razors particularly aggressive, truth). Great razors, both.

I am not sure what you mean by the MMOC being one of the originals ones? If you are referring to it being the earlier or later (revised with two bumps to help position the blade) version, then it is the later version since yours clearly has the two bumps. The other razor is the rounded tooth 1924 and is one of my favorite razors. It appears that the 1924 that you have has had a much rougher life than the MMOC. There seems to be some bent teeth and perhaps slightly warped frame, so I would install a blade and make sure that it is seating properly with an even blade gap and such. If it seems to be in good working order, I would give the 1924 a shot first before the MMOC, as a lot of people find the MMOC to be harsh and overly aggressive. I like both of these razors, but the 1924 definitely feels smoother to me, so I would suggest that as you introduction to SEs.

I hope my post helps, and I hope that you like your new razors. Welcome to the world of SEs!

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I'll get some blades and try out the 1924 and see of everything lines up. AnthonyD, the MMOC is what I wanted to buy, and the 1924 was a throw in. The MMOC seems to be in pretty good condition. I'm excited to try them out.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I'll get some blades and try out the 1924 and see of everything lines up. AnthonyD, the MMOC is what I wanted to buy, and the 1924 was a throw in. The MMOC seems to be in pretty good condition. I'm excited to try them out.
As AnthonyD has pointed out, that 1924 has seen better days; but still, a heckuva "throw-in"! It took me some work to locate and buy a "curved tooth" 1924. Often people don't know what they're selling, and as often have inadequate pictures to show with any certainty whether it's got curved or flat teeth. I agree with Anthony that the 1924 curved-tooth razor is a great one, really close to a favorite SE for me (I can't, ultimately, decide between a few!)

Top Bottom