What's new

Mild / Autopilot GEM razor?

You should enjoy the Gem G bar IMO, they are not overly aggressive and will give you a nice shave. It might take a few shaves to dial in the razor to your liking. The Gem G bar was my first razor to start shaving with and it produced some nice shaves for myself. When using a fresh Gem PTFE blade, I like to use milder ASR razors at the start and work my way along to the more aggressive razors seems to work great.
If you want a milder Micromatic the Micromatic Flying wing is the mildest of the 3 main Micromatic models and has a ingenious way of clamping the blade with a rack and pinion top cap clamping the blade firmly if that is your concern. It clamps and pushes the blade forward to the blade stops + firmly clamps. The Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is 9/1000 inches thick and solid compared to DE blades and has excellent longevity, better than the AC blades for longevity also IMO.
This archived picture chart might help you, this is what I experienced when using Gem razors when first shaving with them + results when I first used them years ago. I get some of the best shaves with ASR Gem razors with the Gem PTFE blade, I still use them weekly in my large razor rotation because they are awesome.
View attachment 1823129
Have some great shaves!
Thanks for the reply! I like the pic but unfortunately I didn't get along with the gbar. It felt pretty aggressive for me and what I like (I love mild razors). According to the chart, there doesn't look like there are any that offers any significant decrease in aggression compared to the gbar. :(

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for the reply! I like the pic but unfortunately I didn't get along with the gbar. It felt pretty aggressive for me and what I like (I love mild razors). According to the chart, there doesn't look like there are any that offers any significant decrease in aggression compared to the gbar. :(
That is unfortunate, I just recently used my Gem G bar recently and had a wonderful shave. I'm not sure you have used a Gem jr bar lather catcher and that is milder to use IMO. Great shaves also.
GEM  Junior bar 1907-11 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom