What's new

Newbie trying to id a razor

Hey, all. I’m new here.

i just happened to see a safety razor on Amazon (“Wilkinson Sword”—yeah, I know), and decided to give it a try.

i did wet shaving many years ago, but i think with some sort of cartridge thing. I *do* remember the Old Spice soap and shaving mug, though.

Not really happy with the cheap plastic Wilkinson Sword, I stopped at the antique mall today.

i would really like to identify the razor I bought.
The box (which may *not* be the razor’s original box,) looked to have a faded diamond, and maybe the words “Golf-Tech.”

Best I can tell, it (the box, anyway) is “Gillette Gold-tech.”

If the razor says “Gillette“ anywhere, I cannot find it. There is not any kind of date-code. I *can* make out “Made in

it does not appear to have any “gold” or bronze color to it. It is a “TTO” or “Butterfly.”
Any suggestions as to what to look at to identify?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If it is a TTO then it is not a Tech. Is the 'box' a cardboard box or shipper, or do you mean a plastic or metal case? If it is English then it will probably not have a date code. I would look for..... a camera, then take some pictures and post them here so we can help. Welcome to the forum 👍

+1! Photos, ideally from multiple angles, are critical for any identification.

this was $12.00 over at the Antique Mall.

i could not see the Gillette Diamond with the mark-I eyeball. Still cannot, but it shows up in the pictures.

you can maybe see why I thoght it could say “Gulf-Tech.” But I have seen very similar boxes that say “Gold-Tech,” and have the Gillette Diamond visible on the box.

no real gold or brass color to this thing. I cleaned it up as best I could with Dawn (Fairy, for those in the UK) and then Scrubbing Bubbles.

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpeg
    IMG_1634.jpeg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1633.jpeg
    IMG_1633.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    915.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    929.2 KB · Views: 44
this was $12.00 over at the Antique Mall.

i could not see the Gillette Diamond with the mark-I eyeball. Still cannot, but it shows up in the pictures.

you can maybe see why I thoght it could say “Gulf-Tech.” But I have seen very similar boxes that say “Gold-Tech,” and have the Gillette Diamond visible on the box.

no real gold or brass color to this thing. I cleaned it up as best I could with Dawn (Fairy, for those in the UK) and then Scrubbing Bubbles.
TV Special Super Speed 1958 (D3 date code)

Looks good, nice pick-up!
Incorrect case, of course. (that's for the gold Tech you'll soon get)

Welcome to B&B, Rob!
Yep, looks to be a D3 (1958 3rd Quarter, i.e July Sept) The little Capital letter on the left under the baseplate identifies year, and number on the opposite right, which will be a 1 to 4 is quarter. This was a Gillette factory dating system for QC. They only began to be used again after a 20 year pause in 1950. Great for dating.

The case looks to be a red version of this example
proxy.php

So just post war.

to echo Nemo, hope you find a Gold Tech soon, and welcome to B&B!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Nice razor they are great razors to use. Congratulations on the start of your first acquisition disorder.

Rust from an old blade, even stainless ones leave stains like that.

Scrub it with an old toothbrush and a little toothpaste and it will clean right up. Dip in rubbing alcohol for a minute or two to sanitize and you will be fine.

Superspeeds are great razors, you will enjoy it.

Hi and Welcome to B&B!
Nice razor and case to find for $12.
I've found that Gillette Super Speeds provide a smooth shave with most double edge blades.
Again, welcome and many happy shaves!

Top Bottom