What's new

3D Printed Gem SE Razor

There seems to be a trend over on Reddit of people 3D printing razors, so I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon and try my luck. I don't have a resin printer yet, so I can't pump out those really high-quality prints, but this was printed at a 0.1mm resolution at around 30mm/sec using a Neptune 4 Pro. In total it took about 10 hours, not including a failed print of the handle about 45 minutes into the job.

It shaves ok, better than the Gem Jr. I recently purchased, but I still don't have a lot of experience with SE razors, so my confidence when using it isn't where I'd like it. It actually includes three plates for varying aggression, and I used to "C" plate which is the most aggressive of the three. I used the "A" plate for an ATG pass on my neck, and it did ok enough.

Anyway, I thought it would be a fun little project, and overall I'm pleased with the results. Not counting the printer, it cost about $0.50 in materials to make. The colors are "Burnt Titanium" for the handle (hides layer lines well), and metallic silver for the head and plates, both PLA filaments.

001.jpg

There seems to be a trend over on Reddit of people 3D printing razors, so I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon and try my luck. I don't have a resin printer yet, so I can't pump out those really high-quality prints, but this was printed at a 0.1mm resolution at around 30mm/sec using a Neptune 4 Pro. In total it took about 10 hours, not including a failed print of the handle about 45 minutes into the job.

It shaves ok, better than the Gem Jr. I recently purchased, but I still don't have a lot of experience with SE razors, so my confidence when using it isn't where I'd like it. It actually includes three plates for varying aggression, and I used to "C" plate which is the most aggressive of the three. I used the "A" plate for an ATG pass on my neck, and it did ok enough.

Anyway, I thought it would be a fun little project, and overall I'm pleased with the results. Not counting the printer, it cost about $0.50 in materials to make. The colors are "Burnt Titanium" for the handle (hides layer lines well), and metallic silver for the head and plates, both PLA filaments.

View attachment 1735591
Looks great! All admit, that is one of my earliest designs and not the easiest to print. But it is very usable. Great job on the print.

That's your design?? Dude, that's awesome!!

The only problem I had was that the nozzle hit the handle and started dragging it around about 80% into the print. I printed it at a slower speed the next time and it worked great. I love that blue filament; I can't wait to print some more stuff with it.

That's your design?? Dude, that's awesome!!

The only problem I had was that the nozzle hit the handle and started dragging it around about 80% into the print. I printed it at a slower speed the next time and it worked great. I love that blue filament; I can't wait to print some more stuff with it.
Slow speeds is always best with these small parts. There's a few more designs in the works that I want to finalize and make them available for download. I still think that out of all the razors I have available, the EndGem is probably the best performer. A lot depends on the print quality, of course.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

View attachment 1735591
Looks like a nice razor you made! Looks like one of Roger Quintero creations, he is very talented and allows folks to use his programs to build various variants of razors. He more than likely has over 12 different variants of razors from Schick, Gem and maybe a few DE types.( I lost track) He also has made other shaving products from stands to bowls and they all work well.

I still think that out of all the razors I have available, the EndGem is probably the best performer. A lot depends on the print quality, of course.
Believe it or not even before your post I had already decided that the EndGem and Stoll were the next ones I wanted to try.

Looks like a nice razor you made! Looks like one of Roger Quintero creations, he is very talented and allows folks to use his programs to build various variants of razors. He more than likely has over 12 different variants of razors from Schick, Gem and maybe a few DE types.( I lost track) He also has made other shaving products from stands to bowls and they all work well.
Yeah it is, I didn't notice until I started getting replies from you guys that all the razors I found interesting were his designs. Pretty dang cool, I'd be super excited if people were using my creations and posting their copy of it online for other to see. He definitely has a bunch and I'll probably try quite a few of them before this is all over.

I just created an order with Shapeways and in about 2-3 weeks should have this Gem razor. I have dealt with Bob Quinn before on another forum and he is a great person to deal with. In his description he says this razor is somewhat aggressive but is very smooth. It took awhile to find the correct download for the head and handle. I stuck to basic colors (white and black) but if the razor turns out to be a good shaver can always upgrade to metal or a different plastic. The price for the head and handle are cheap it is the shipping ($20) and upgrade to faster printing that escalates the cost. I didn't know but you would think 3D printing started just several years ago but in fact it has been around since the 1940s-50s

Top Bottom