What's new

3D Printed Project ( Blade Bank with Blade Use Counter )

Well, this is going to take a while, but it just might turn out to be useful, and maybe even fun at the same time.

@Ron R posted a picture of his razor and brush stand/holder with a very practical built-in DIY "Blade Use Counter", and I just had to steal his idea and put it to use somewhere.

A while back I came across some old vacuum tube radios at an antique mall and didn't think much of them. Turns out there's a big demand for certain models, and the prices keep going up. The RCA Victor AM radio from 1956 is becoming a rare find, so, I thought, what if, just what if something with a big dial on a small scale could serve a purpose?

Below is a very rough draft of my 3d model that is far from being finished. It's a mini 1956 RCA Victor AM radio ( about 3.5 inches wide ) that will help track how many times a blade has been used by turning the dial to the corresponding number, and it is also a blade bank. Once complete, it will be an easy 3d print that will not require supports. Thanks for sparking a useful idea, Ron.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 181925.jpg

This is the very basic and rough 3d model of RCA Radio - Blade Use Counter and Blade Bank
Screenshot 2024-02-06 175329.jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well, this is going to take a while, but it just might turn out to be useful, and maybe even fun at the same time.

@Ron R posted a picture of his razor and brush stand/holder with a very practical built-in DIY "Blade Use Counter", and I just had to steal his idea and put it to use somewhere.

A while back I came across some old vacuum tube radios at an antique mall and didn't think much of them. Turns out there's a big demand for certain models, and the prices keep going up. The RCA Victor AM radio from 1956 is becoming a rare find, so, I thought, what if, just what if something with a big dial on a small scale could serve a purpose?

Below is a very rough draft of my 3d model that is far from being finished. It's a mini 1956 RCA Victor AM radio ( about 3.5 inches wide ) that will help track how many times a blade has been used by turning the dial to the corresponding number, and it is also a blade bank. Once complete, it will be an easy 3d print that will not require supports. Thanks for sparking a useful idea, Ron.

View attachment 1792425

This is the very basic and rough 3d model of RCA Radio - Blade Use Counter and Blade Bank
View attachment 1792426
Interesting and simple + should work well IMO. I do not have a clue about 3D printers but final results is where it counts and that is a good practical Blade bank with a touch of Vintage character also.

This fun little project is complete.

Blade banks were quite common in the 1950s. They were often promotional items or figurines that could also be used for display. Unfortunately, most of them were designed for one-time use only, and once they were full, they would end up in the trash. This is a vintage RCA Victor radio-inspired blade bank with a blade use counter that can be reused over and over again. To track the number of shaves per blade, all you need to do is turn the tuning knob to the corresponding number. To open the blade bank, simply unscrew the center knob on the tuning dial and dispose of the used blades properly. This blade bank is completely 3D printed and doesn't require any additional hardware for assembly. I've made the STL files public, and they are available as free downloads for personal non-commercial use at the links below.

20240208_070344.jpg
20240208_070536.jpg

Last edited:
Really cool. A couple of possible modifications to consider:

Increase the number of shaves on the dial for those who get more shaves per blade.

Put the opening for the used blades on the left and print a container to sit inside that can them be disposed of when full. No additional blade handling.

Really cool. A couple of possible modifications to consider:

Increase the number of shaves on the dial for those who get more shaves per blade.

Put the opening for the used blades on the left and print a container to sit inside that can them be disposed of when full. No additional blade handling.
The internal container is a nice idea and an easy modification. 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom