What's new

DE89.my thoughts.

I recently acquired a new EJ DE89 with the long handle as a gift to me for Christmas. What a beautiful piece of work it is :w00t: I wanted to try the DE89 as it's a bit heavier than the VdH razor and the vintage Gillette SuperSpeed TTO I have. It certainly has more heft and it seems the safety bar extends out further than the the SS and VdH. This makes for having to learn a new angle of attack (which I have).

I wanted to get a few shaves with it before posting. I also ordered a sample pack of various blades to try. I've read some nice things on the Shark blades and decided to try it first. My first shave with it was VERY nice. I love the feel of it, certainly more substantial. The Shark blade...not so much. Felt more tugging and pulling with it than the Israeli made "no brand" blades I've been using (I was able to get six good shaves out of one of those before retiring it). I swapped back to the "no-brand" blade after the first pass with the Shark. I thought I would try the Shark again later...so I put it up.

Second shave...I must have been having an off day. I nearly massacred my sensitive neck :mad3: Not a good shave = not a good day (sorry Geo). Blade was the "no-brand" blade. Two passes with some clean-up. Cream is TOB Sandlewood, brush is the old VdH boar I started out with.

Third shave tonight...MUCH better! Tried the Shark again...still not any better so I binned it. I may give 'em a shot again later. Back to the "no-brand" blade. One pass shave this time as I didn't want to aggravate my sensitive neck area. Took more time to get used to the EJ DE89's extra length and weight and had a pleasant evening shave.

From my first impressions of the DE89, despite what many say, it feels a bit more aggressive to me than the SS and VdH TTOs. Maybe it's just me...who knows ;) As I love the look and feel of this razor, I'm going to stay with it for now. As for the vintage SS...I really like it too...so I'm sure I'll use it again. I'm one of those that tends to find what works and stays with it instead of changing up all the time.

Since I started DE shaving, I had gotten used to the lighter VdH and SS and was getting excellent nearly BSSs with them. When I changed to the DE89, I feel like I'm having to learn all over again. The sample pack of blades includes Feather, Big Ben, Dorco, Derby, Astra SP and of course, Shark. I've been with the TOBS cream for about three weeks now and it suits me better than the VdH soap I was using to start out with. Also, I tend to prefer shaving in the evenings instead of after a shower in the AM. I get to enjoy it more that way :001_cool:.

Shave on!
Allen

The 89 head is a wonderful shaver that can b very efficient in my book. This is actually my week using mine. I have mine paired with an astra currently and whenever I get to this razor in my rotation I always feel like I forget how effortless the shaves r. Happy shaving!

OP : it'll take some time to get used to the extra weight but I can tell you this much, out of all the razors I own, the edwin jagger gets used most often. It's a wonderful shaver with excellent fit and finish.

The 89 head is very underrated. Many people think it is a good starting razor, which it is, but I think even better later on after you have developed some technique. I think the best "version" of it at the moment is the Muhle Twist. Both of these companies (EJ and Muhle) use the same head. The ease of use of the twist and the extra weight I think takes the 89 head to the next level. I think it is one of the best all around razors manufactured and worth the extra price for the twist.

I started with the DE89 and I still use it the most. The finish is beautiful and I can use it with a whole variety of blades with no issues. I tend to do the best with Personnas and Gillette Sputniks.

OP : it'll take some time to get used to the extra weight but I can tell you this much, out of all the razors I own, the edwin jagger gets used most often. It's a wonderful shaver with excellent fit and finish.

I'm sure after a few more shaves and I get used to how it handles, it'll be my main razor. It is a beautiful piece of work.

A~

I love mine. Oddly find it pairs perfect with the much maligned Derby blade. I do not like my Derbys in anything else. But they are very smooth in this razor. The smoothness and dullness of the Derby goes together for me with the extra weight. The opposite of the other perfect combo for me (and many) a Feather and (name any) Tech.

I love mine. Oddly find it pairs perfect with the much maligned Derby blade. I do not like my Derbys in anything else. But they are very smooth in this razor. The smoothness and dullness of the Derby goes together for me with the extra weight. The opposite of the other perfect combo for me (and many) a Feather and (name any) Tech.

The shaver came with a pack of Derbys....so I may give them a try. I'm also interested to try the Astra SPs that everyone seems to like so much. The "no-brand" Israeli blades I picked up at the dollar store are superb in my vintage SS flare tip....very smooth.

Ooooooo.....niiiiice :) Tried the Astra SP today. Great blade...very smooth! Had a great shave today!

I use my DE89 typically five days out of seven and it does a fine job. The Derbys were not bad...the Astra SPs were quite good...but my favorite so far (in a still limited array that I've tried) is Polsilver Iridium.

Go slow light pressure. Astras and Feathers sing in mine ymmv it is the best of both worlds for beginner and cagey veteran alike.

Top Bottom