What's new

LA Shaving Soap Love!

So I cracked open the Summer Down Under last night. Typically I shave in the evenings since everyone else is asleep and I have "me" time that I can spend 20-30 minutes shaving. I already told John that the scent was a little light before I lathered it. I was expecting something oaky to compliment the Shiraz. However, once I lathered it up, I got a rugged natural scent of the wine, sandlewood, and I was able to pick up the lime and jasmine. The scents did wake up as I swirled my brush. It lathered up great, I used just a few drops of water in a soaked and squeezed badger brush to face lather, and had enough to do my three passes with some touch ups. The chill of the menthol isn't brain freezing, but I think it was very nice and would definitely use this on a hot summer morning or night. I see this one in my drawer for a while.

Nick

So I cracked open the Summer Down Under last night. Typically I shave in the evenings since everyone else is asleep and I have "me" time that I can spend 20-30 minutes shaving. I already told John that the scent was a little light before I lathered it. I was expecting something oaky to compliment the Shiraz. However, once I lathered it up, I got a rugged natural scent of the wine, sandlewood, and I was able to pick up the lime and jasmine. The scents did wake up as I swirled my brush. It lathered up great, I used just a few drops of water in a soaked and squeezed badger brush to face lather, and had enough to do my three passes with some touch ups. The chill of the menthol isn't brain freezing, but I think it was very nice and would definitely use this on a hot summer morning or night. I see this one in my drawer for a while.

Nick

That review once again confirms that LASS has some of the best scented soaps around, and that it's performance is top tier.

I ordered the unscented just to give my sniffer a rest, and it lathers easily. I'd be interested in the Woody Lavender and Topanga Fougere if they're mildly scented. Time for a sampler order -- as soon as his website comes back up after Christmas.

Last edited:
While I had a nice shave, it did not WOW me...

I removed it from the stick and pressed it into a bowl. Perhaps that will get me a better mix.

I was not overly impressed with the scent...haven't given up....we'll see. I was hoping it would be complicated like Catie's LPV.

Tried it again today...not digging the patchouli..smells like a Dead concert.

Had to rinse my brush after the first pass and switch to AOS Sandalwood old formula...wonderful!!

Glad I only bought the stick.

I ordered the unscented just to give my sniffer a rest, and it lathers easily. I'd be interested in the Woody Lavender and Topanga Fougere if they're mildly scented. Time for a sampler order -- as soon as his website comes back up after Christmas.

If still contemplating, I'd say TF is milder than others I've tried (Bespoke #1 and Woody Lavendar). Smells nice, but doesn't "fill the bathroom" like the other two. TF seems to take a bit more water as well. Not sure why, but when you get the balance right it's a performer, just like the others.

My shave with Bespoke #1 yesterday was splendid; very good lather, and wonderful scent. It smells so natural and woodsy and deep. I really like frankincense and this one is all about frankincense to me. Pretty special experience for a shaving soap.

One thing I noticed, though, is the soap itself seems sort of blotchy in the tub, like it's of an uneven consistency or not entirely mixed. Is this just how the LASSC soaps are? Obviously it's performing just fine so far.

Bespoke to me reminds me of campfires in the backyard but there's a lot more going on than that. I like it but I prefer the less complex scents that he offers like his Bay Rum and Woody Lavender soaps. The Topanga Fougere also has a lot going on. People that are fans of the more complex scents will love this one too. I believe these soaps use many different high quality costly essential oils which is why some of his soaps cost more than others.

As far as performance goes, all of the LA Shaving soaps are above average performers.

The Woody Lavender one I'm quite fond of and I don't know why I haven't ordered a full tub of it because it does belong in my soap rotation.

Apologies for resurrecting a thread, but today I was blown away. I finally got around to trying my sample of LA Shaving Soap's Topanga Fougere today. HO-LEE CRAP. The smells. SO nice. I think this has taken the #1 spot in the smells department over any other soap I've tried, including Barrister & Mann's Lime, Lavender, & Cedarwood and their Beaudelaire, another fougere. It's not as dark as the Beaudelaire and doesn't have any Oakmoss like most fougeres do. The lavender is easily the most prominent note. The smell lingered for a while after the shave too, and it is just beautiful. I plan on ordering a full dish of this soon, and sampling some of his other scents, but I'll need to work on dialing in the lather, because today I was fighting it being rather thin and dissipating quickly off of my scalp. Once I worked it enough it was fine, I assume I just added water too fast. Anyway, I can't wait to use this soap again.

Bespoke #1 and Santa Monica Bay Rum are incredible. Other scents are great too (I got a sampler pack and tried them all), but those two just blow me away. Best Bay Rum I've ever tried and Bespoke #1 is the best "wood" scented soap I have tried. Performance is top notch too.

Also use a BBS-1 which is a superlative DE razor.

I really REALLY want a jar of that new cabernet soap he came out with, but I'm on a 2015 sabbatical, so no can do.

Apologies for resurrecting a thread, but today I was blown away. I finally got around to trying my sample of LA Shaving Soap's Topanga Fougere today. HO-LEE CRAP. The smells. SO nice. I think this has taken the #1 spot in the smells department over any other soap I've tried, including Barrister & Mann's Lime, Lavender, & Cedarwood and their Beaudelaire, another fougere. It's not as dark as the Beaudelaire and doesn't have any Oakmoss like most fougeres do. The lavender is easily the most prominent note. The smell lingered for a while after the shave too, and it is just beautiful. I plan on ordering a full dish of this soon, and sampling some of his other scents, but I'll need to work on dialing in the lather, because today I was fighting it being rather thin and dissipating quickly off of my scalp. Once I worked it enough it was fine, I assume I just added water too fast. Anyway, I can't wait to use this soap again.
Yep. The Topanga Fougere is pretty spectacular. One of the best scents in all of shaving, in my opinion. There's a link on the LASS site to how the scent was created that is a good read.

Razorbladesandmore.com has 1 tub of Bespoke #1 at $17 left. That's $11 off the original price.

Aaaand now there's none left. I grabbed it, thanks for the heads up. I had a sample of this in my wishlist at Maggard's but I figured I'd just jump on that one at that price.

I used the Topanga again this morning. Scent still beautifully bright and fresh and invigorating. Lather still thin and dissipating, even though I was very careful about adding water. Started with a boar brush with all the water shook out, loaded generously, and lathered on top of the soap. I need to work on this. Proraso, Barrister and Mann, and Tabac are all so idiot proof to lather that I guess I've gotten sloppy and struggle with many of the others (Mystic, Mickey Lee, and Stirling have also been more difficult to lather).

Any tips for lathering LASS?

I actually don't have any trouble with LASS. I start loading dry, add a little water, load more, add a little water, load more. Then start face lathering and adjust the consistency to however I prefer using water. Just load a lot and add water little by little

I used Topanga Fougere this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks. I face lathered with my SOC 2 band badger and got loads of scrumptiousness -- enough for 3+ passes. Very pleasant, and not overpowering scent. Nice post shave feel.

Top Bottom