What's new

Falling out of Love

I am completely crestfallen. The soaps that once gave me so much joy have no longer stir up such feelings anymore.

I open the drawer, reach for them, smell them and simply can't find the capacity to lather them anymore. I put them down and reach for others.

There's nothing I can point to that makes me not love them anymore. Great performance, nice scents, great post shave care... but I feel nothing inside.

I bid adieu with heavy heart my dear LPL Rose de pushkar, SV Cubebe, RR SMDF and Dead Sea. It was beautiful while it lasted.

Alright enough with the melodrama. Who of you have encountered this? Share if you've ever rekindled with those soaps or they simply went to the bin.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I agree with the other comments, just take a break. With the exception of the company of my wife, I can think of nothing else that, if I experienced it too frequently, would not become less appealing as a result.

Oh Yes ... been there too. Joris Plisson for example ... heavenly when I first encountered, dismal when I revisited much later.
Musgo Real Classic is another one I once loved, but gave up since. For both I still find the scent heavenly.
I guess an explanation is that I was very scent-focused when I first embarked on traditional wetshaving, whereas later on I became more aware of a soaps performance. Although, both of those are not bad soaps .... but I lost the love for them.
Oh, and Pinaud Clubman, dare I mention it ..? This is aftershave (cologne), but still. So much talk about it, so highly acclaimed, and I loved the scent when I first got a hold of it. But gradually I found that it was dismal as aftershave, and really it is not an aftershave at all, its just a cologne ... So I have archived it.

oh DUDE i live this constantly

I'm not a snob for soap by any means, but some of the stuff people seem to get amped over just don't work for me at all. Like the more complex the scent, the less I like it. It's like how people can say wine or whiskey has a certain amount of notes to it, but all I smell is "good" or "not good". Same goes for aftershaves.

I'm just now starting to accept that it's OK to no longer like something I used to like. You change and grow as a person in everything.

Speaking of which, I need to PIF out my drawer.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My Mike’s Natural Soaps with simple scents like Lemongrass Eucalyptus and Hungarian Lavendar are ones I never tire of. Anything with a more cologne scent I will eventually get bored with.

I'm totally living this. I have lots of "high end" soap that I still really like, but just stashed away because I'm not compelled to use them. I hand on to them for reference, comparisons or fall into the "damn I think I miss that, i should get it again". After 17 years or more of this, I've come to a more workmanlike or functional preference to soaps. So now it's Cella, Proraso green, Fine American blend, Santa Maria del Fiore and Canada Shave soap. Not in that order.

I think I went 8 years strictly using stirling lemon glacial....my biggest regret was not starting on trying other soaps sooner. The glacial line for me personally was life changing, that post shave buzz is/was incredible.

Seems like simple boredom.

There are times when I look at my pile of soaps and creams and nothing appeals, so I just grab one and shave, and usually it's one that I haven't used for a while. I like (or liked) them all enough to keep them, so it seems I'm just bored with them.

Of course the only answer is to buy more, which I refuse to do.😄😄😄

There are a few that I fall out of love with for whatever the reason. Usually it's because I'll pick up a random weird note that reminds me of something gross like boiled hotdogs for instance. Then I can't get it out of mind and I'll stop using the soap. Mostly it needs a break.

OMG!!!! I LOVE a boiled hotdog in steamed bun with sauerkraut and the barest hint of yellow mustard! But it has to be a pork hotdog. Beef dogs are just greasy and nasty tasting.

I am completely crestfallen. The soaps that once gave me so much joy have no longer stir up such feelings anymore.

I open the drawer, reach for them, smell them and simply can't find the capacity to lather them anymore. I put them down and reach for others.

There's nothing I can point to that makes me not love them anymore. Great performance, nice scents, great post shave care... but I feel nothing inside.

I bid adieu with heavy heart my dear LPL Rose de pushkar, SV Cubebe, RR SMDF and Dead Sea. It was beautiful while it lasted.

Alright enough with the melodrama. Who of you have encountered this? Share if you've ever rekindled with those soaps or they simply went to the bin.
You may want to consider my approach to shaving soap/cream rotation. I keep three soaps as part of a primary rotation that I use for roughly 5 out of my typical 6 weekly shaves. Pull out one of my other soaps, kept in sealed containers, once each week for variety as part of a secondary rotation.

Once I 3017 a primary soap I'll replace it with something different from the secondary rotation and if I have a replacement puck of the 3017's primary it goes into the secondary rotation.

Grate them and mix them up.

The best meals often come from combined leftovers.
I actually tested your advice. I've heard about mixing soaps in the wild but never thought more about it.

The Rose de Pushkar mixed with Cubebe did pique my interest. I didn't grate them just layered the loading between both. However, SMDF and Dead Sea didn't like to be mixed. The various combination gave some off coloured scents.

What soaps have given you decent results?

Top Bottom