What's new

2015 Shave Purchase Sabbatical, The Year of the Jedi

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm still in after my antique mall trip today! It was a close call and I was tempted a plenty.

I gotta admit though...if the prices were half of what they were I would have took everything.

#10 Still in

SOTD

Progress
Nacet (12)
WD 22/55 silvertip
Uberlather with Tabac and CF Cedarwood & Sandalwood
RR Alum
Thayer's WH w/ Aloe
TOBS Sandalwood ASB

My other blades are starting to complain. The Nacet has been taking all the glory for the last 3 weeks.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I paid less than half for a Valet Autostrop, without taking condition into account.

Everything was full blown retail and then some. Which is ok and makes sense considering it's a big tourist antique old town place. They don't even negotiate. You just have to get lucky and hope the seller isn't hip to the market.
Last time I went back in July I bought about 7 razors for less than 10 bucks each.

#18 checking in with progress on my exception.
$BilletsSm.jpgThe Billets before forging.

$InToForgeSm.jpgThe billet, with handle welded on, going in to the forge for the first weld.

$FluxingSm.jpg
Fluxing the billet prior to the first weld
$FoldedSm.jpg

The billet, folded and going back in to the forge. You can see the layers on the side.
$FinishedSm.jpg
The finished Damascus bar

$LiquidNitrogen.JPGLiquid Nitrogen Dewar.
My blade is on the end of one of the wires

Up to this point, everything is done as a batch. After the heat treatment, and surface grinding, the blades are tailored the the specifics of each individual order

I have in my possession my 2014 victory brush: a 3-band D01 Shavemac 90. It looks perfect. :001_tt1:

Pics will show up when I have a little time.

#18 checking in with progress on my exception.
View attachment 542961The Billets before forging.

View attachment 542964The billet, with handle welded on, going in to the forge for the first weld.

View attachment 542967
Fluxing the billet prior to the first weld
View attachment 542970

The billet, folded and going back in to the forge. You can see the layers on the side.
View attachment 542971
The finished Damascus bar

Now that's frackin cool. # 45 still in, I am still untempted!

Guys, I would like to PIF a slice of unobtainium to a Sabbatical member that is still in after 6 months. This will be a slice off of my stick of the legendary Irisch Moos. I will choose the winner randomly on July 1 and I will do this whether I am still in or not.
Just let me know that you are in on the PIF, and then stay strong for another 5+ months!

In, please! Great offer, thanks.

Re: the fantastically generous Irisch Moos PIF. NOT IN. I've heard so much about this soap that I fear if I were to enter and win i'd slip into a downward self destructive spiral trying to get my hands on more, more!

Good luck guys!

@oldtrout, I have no idea what you are making. But whatever it is, I want one!
My sabbatical exception this year is a Tim Zowada custom straight razor. I failed last year's sabbatical, but barely purchased anything. And I only went on one fishing/camping trip (my addiction). So I had enough cash for one extravagant purchase.

Last edited:
@oldtrout, I have no idea what you are making. But whatever it is, I want one!

Hi,

A straight razor in the end. Damascus steel is made up from layers of billet which are forged into one piece. This process is what he was showing. That long bar in the last pic will be cut up into a batch of SR blanks, then each blank made into whatever each customer wants.

This is pretty standard machine shop work. :)

Stan

Top Bottom